Super Scout - Build log

dap35

Elite member
After good success with a Mini-Scout as a park flyer, I decided to scale a Simple Scout up and make some changes.
I have taken the Simple Scout and scaled it by 134% and stretched the wing span a bit. I am also making the wings removable and provide top access to the battery and electronics. Wing span ~55 inches, fuselage length ~ 37 inches. Ironing edges....

Today, I started wing fab.

IMG_2357.jpeg

Dihedral braces using paint stir sticks.
IMG_2358.jpeg

Changing the build sequence.... I hope I don't regret it :) Because I am reinforcing the dihedral, I am glueing the bottom surface of the wing first, then I will add in the top surface.
IMG_2359.jpeg

IMG_2360.jpeg

IMG_2359.jpeg

IMG_2351.jpeg
IMG_2357.jpeg
IMG_2358.jpeg
IMG_2359.jpeg
IMG_2360.jpeg
IMG_2359.jpeg
IMG_2361.jpeg
IMG_2362.jpeg

The CF arrow shafts are overkill, but since I had them cut and they didn't weigh 'much', what the heck..
IMG_2361.jpeg

IMG_2362.jpeg

IMG_2351.jpeg

dap35

Elite member
Finished the wings last night. Two lessons learned - Have extra glue stick at the ready when closing up the wing, and ironing the bevel at the leading edge where the upper and lower panels meet, wasn't a good idea. It actually made the foam board too hard to properly fold over.

As you can see here, its going to be just a bit larger than the mini-scout.

SuperScout_miniscout-compare.jpeg

Also, ironing the rest of the edges, worked out well.
SuperScout-Wing.jpeg

PoorManRC

Master member
Finished the wings last night. Two lessons learned - Have extra glue stick at the ready when closing up the wing, and ironing the bevel at the leading edge where the upper and lower panels meet, wasn't a good idea. It actually made the foam board too hard to properly fold over.

As you can see here, its going to be just a bit larger than the mini-scout.

View attachment 174531

Also, ironing the rest of the edges, worked out well.
View attachment 174532
I'm always for oversized Planes... This one might be my favorite!! 👍👍 The Scout already has great flying characteristics, this will give it more presence and better penetration through the Air. Definitely following with interest!

sundown57

Legendary member
I just did it at 150 and no the wings wouldn't fit on 1 sheet, ended up 140% came out to 20 1/2 by 30 so that's the size I'm going with

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I love the Scout myself, just finished building the seventh. Dropped it down to 85% and this thing will rock. I love the direction you are taking with this one. I always wanted to build one like the Eindecker but i haven't got the stringing skills yet... mind you i have to try it first lol

dap35

Elite member
Getting closer. I need to install the servo's for the rudder and elevator. I had hoped to finish the paint today, but is too windy.

I tried an experiment on the turtle deck. I masked using Glad Press-N-Seal (similar to cling film but it sticks) and it worked great. Easy to take off and didn't damage any other finish.
IMG_2393.jpeg IMG_2392.jpeg IMG_2391.jpeg IMG_2390.jpeg

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Getting closer. I need to install the servo's for the rudder and elevator. I had hoped to finish the paint today, but is too windy.

I tried an experiment on the turtle deck. I masked using Glad Press-N-Seal (similar to cling film but it sticks) and it worked great. Easy to take off and didn't damage any other finish.
View attachment 176197 View attachment 176198 View attachment 176199 View attachment 176200
That looks awesome man!
Whats powering this hot rod again?
Say maiden vid (y)(y)

dap35

Elite member
That looks awesome man!
Whats powering this hot rod again?
Say maiden vid (y)(y)
Thanks! It is going to be a C-pack with a 10 x 4.5 prop and a 3S battery. I'm not a fast flyer yet :) If need to, I will bump it to a 4S.
I will try and film a maiden with my phone using a hat bracket.