FPV Dogfight with Head-tracker in a Spitfire... a Journey to get there

FPVAirCombat

A FPV Pietenpol would be a neat project! One recommendation though on making it pleasant for FPV: make sure it has ailerons for proper roll control. One thing I notice flying FPV vs LOS is that flying coordinated is paramount to have a pleasant, realistic in-cockpit experience.

We don’t notice much adverse yaw, skidding and slipping flying LoS. But it is very prominent in a FPV plane. And having the nose drift around using skidding to bank, as would be the case in a three channel plane would make it disorienting from cockpit view.

Good excuse for me test it out on a Pietenpol. Challenge accepted;)

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
A FPV Pietenpol would be a neat project! One recommendation though on making it pleasant for FPV: make sure it has ailerons for proper roll control. One thing I notice flying FPV vs LOS is that flying coordinated is paramount to have a pleasant, realistic in-cockpit experience.

We don’t notice much adverse yaw, skidding and slipping flying LoS. But it is very prominent in a FPV plane. And having the nose drift around using skidding to bank, as would be the case in a three channel plane would make it disorienting from cockpit view.

Good excuse for me test it out on a Pietenpol. Challenge accepted;)

If you do what I did and enlarge the plans, then keep in. mind that everything gets doubled, including the foam removal areas, and tab holes.

FPVAirCombat

Another team video showing the improvement we have made flying diamond formation over several weeks:

Formation Landing (3).jpg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
MUCH improvement guys Well done.

I notice that the lead and tail planes are very steady but the outside planes seem to be struggling. Are they catching the wing tip vortices coming off the lead plane and fighting that that hard? Or is there something going on different I am not aware of?

In any case this is really cool to watch both first person and third.

FPVAirCombat

Another team video showing the improvement we have to get tighter on Diamond formation
MUCH improvement guys Well done.

I notice that the lead and tail planes are very steady but the outside planes seem to be struggling. Are they catching the wing tip vortices coming off the lead plane and fighting that that hard? Or is there something going on different I am not aware of?

In any case this is really cool to watch both first person and third.

Thanks for the compliment PsyBorg!

I flew slot/tail plane in this case. It is a easier position to maintain. And I have a couple more years of FPV formation experience than other guys. The wing or outside planes are harder to stay in position. They need to turn their head to the side to keep lead in view and try to stay on the 45° line behind lead. It’s a difficult position for the inside wing especially. He could easily run into the lead if not careful, or fall too slow and stall if lagging to far behind and inside. Slot is usually the position that catch the wing tip vortices off lead if not in proper position. Air was bumpy, so you can see sometimes the outside and inside wingmen rise and fall at the same time.

FPVAirCombat

Yes, we are running Hobby Eagle A3 Super 3 stabilizers. Surprisingly, in bumpy air, we actually need to turn down gains for it to work better.

And Yes, an Me262 would be a great HT FPV planes, especially if the canopy is clear. Bubble canopy rocks so you can check for unwitting mustangs in pursuit. Not like they can catch you:D
You know where to get a good gimbal, right? ;)
www.FPVaircombat.com

FPVAirCombat

Due for an update with the Spitfire again, with some notes about why I like having head-tracking with FPV. It’s what feels natural and the head movements are 2nd nature!

FPVAirCombat

Ugh, I need to get a head tracker!

Follow the DIY build. It isn’t bad at all, just 4 solder joints, two for center button, two for power lead. Works really well. Wirelessly connect to FrSky radios over Bluetooth.

Attachments

• 77336DF1-CAEB-4888-9BC3-9560ABE9B5C7.jpeg
    77336DF1-CAEB-4888-9BC3-9560ABE9B5C7.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 25A11BE5-5A4F-464E-8A2C-BD236E34C0CC.jpeg
    25A11BE5-5A4F-464E-8A2C-BD236E34C0CC.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 8EB74F17-BD77-48F2-BCB3-5BE5968C3ACB.jpeg
    8EB74F17-BD77-48F2-BCB3-5BE5968C3ACB.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 0

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Follow the DIY build. It isn’t bad at all, just 4 solder joints, two for center button, two for power lead. Works really well. Wirelessly connect to FrSky radios over Bluetooth.

I started to put the items I needed into my Amazon cart, but I stopped for some reason, don't recall what. Maybe one item was out of stock?

FPVAirCombat

Parts ordered.

Hope you get the HT working soon. Too much fun! Here, I share another fun video practicing precision aerobatics in a simple jet; no flight controller, no gyro. Just slap on pan & tilt gimbal and go have fun! Jets are much easier to fly than Spitfire...

Last edited:

FPVAirCombat

I like very smooth control inputs when flying FPV. And in a big jet like Freewing MiG-29, the “in cockpit” experience with head-tracking is so realistic since you can almost “feel” the weight of the plane being thrown around. Go up high to enjoy a second sunset, look around and check out the mountain ranges. Then swoop down and do some lazy aerobatics, all the while runway can be in view with a simple head turn to keep orientation. So much fun it’s hard to describe:love: