086 Crash Story Extravaganza

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
img-3390.jpg

086 Crash Story Extravaganza

It is finally here. A podcast with lots of crash stories as requested. join the Flitetest Afterhours crew as they discuss quite the mix of RC crash stories sent in by our loyal listeners. There maybe be a few other things sprinkled in between there as well. Thanks for listening - See more at: http://flitetest.com/articles/086-crash-story-extravaganza#sthash.JSbRLJwX.dpuf

crash bandicoot

So will Chad be on soon, it sounds like you guys are trying to find a mutual time together.
I would also like to see someone try and fly a Radian while lying in the pool.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Hmmm let me think about that.

NO! My luck I'd roll over radio and all!

Maue

I'm guessing this is where I put crash stories? Well sence I'm here I have one for you

About a year ago I was super excited to get a nuther "micro" plane. I used quotations because the micro plane in question is a air core spitfire and as I soon found out it hads big plane tendencies. I was flying in a field behind my house where I can fly a champ and a micro corsair with plenty of room and eas. So when I desited to get a nouther plane I ignored the warning from the local hobby shop that the air core planes need plenty of speed to perform at there best. I just wanted the plane.
When I finaly took it out for its maden I soon realized that they were right but if I kept it above the trees there shud be no problems right. Well then it was time to land there was a problem. this thing did not want to slow down. So I did a couple tight strafed runs and though I bleed off enough energy to land close to my feet only to watch the plane fly by me about 10 feet off the ground toward a couple of trees at the end of my runway. Again it's a field I use to fly micros in. So I banked left and sent her into the tall grass praying I didn't just break my plane. Thankfully I didnt. But here's those famous last words... "ONE MORE TIME" I put a new battery in it and thought I can do better now that I know what the plane does. I got it into the air flew for a little bit and decided to practice my landing approach. Now I know about where the tree line is and was putting the plane just inside the trees and above the tree tops. Then it happened. After about 4 of 5 good approaches I desided to land but I made one change. I brought the plane in lower than I practeced I had the throttle cut all the way down in a left bank at the Far end of the field when I watched the wings and canopy separate from the plane and the fuselage ark down about 100 feet away frome the very top of the tallest tree on the tree line. But this isn't the worst of it. After hours and hours of searching threw the woods and field over a week I never found my plane. Until a out a month later. Me wife's unkle was out brush hoging the field one day and when I talked to him that afternoon he said something about how he thought he hit a newspaper. My heart sank. I told him what it was and we both went out to look for it. Some how all the parts had ended up at the base of the tree I hit and shure enough he ran it over. He described it has weight chunks flying out of the ground. Thankfully there was enough left of the plane to give it a proper retirement. I uses this memory to remind myself that if you hafto think about a strategy on how to land a plane you shudnt be flying it.

There are the only pieces that didn't look like they were next to a gernade

image.jpg

Last edited: