What's Up with the Podcasts?

Like many others, I'm in the habit of listening to the podcasts on my way to work. I've noticed that they are coming less frequently lately, and I have been wondering if Chris is going to take over everything from now on (it has been almost a month since Austin, Josh, Peter, etc. have released anything new).

FTAH is great, but it's not the same as the original themed podcasts where I could actually learn something. Personally, some of my favorite parts of both the podcasts and shows were having David talk about things like electronics, motors, props, etc. because it provided an opportunity to expand my own knowledge base - it was stuff that I could readily apply to models I already have and that helped me to become a better pilot. I realize David is gone, but I would really hate to lose this aspect of Flite Test, and the podcasts are the perfect venue to discuss these "educational" topics in depth and at length. Insightful interviews are also great. Regardless of who is or isn't going to continue the podcasts, perhaps the crew could consider more of this type of content? Reviews, crash stories... meh.

Also, is a weekly podcast completely out of the question? Somehow I don't think there will be any lack of listeners - especially if the content is engaging and applicable.

I will say (and I can only speak for myself) that if the podcasts end up becoming only glorified advertisements (reviews) and the same type of crash story over and over again, I will most likely be turning it off.

On the topic of crash stories: I really like Chris' idea of having an occasional "extra" podcast release just for the crash stories. That way the people who like this sort of thing can tune in, and everyone else can continue to enjoy quality content in the regular podcasts. If there is something to be learned from a crash story (methods or strategies for recovery or repair), then by all means keep it in the regular podcast. Just keep the "I crashed a plane in the same lake for the 97th time" and "my night flyer is now a big Christmas light" stuff separate.

Simply put, I hope that all the media that Flite Test produces can keep alive the original vision of the organization: to entertain, educate, and elevate the world of flight.

earthsciteach

The crew is coming off of a marathon traveling jaunt. They were at Nall, then out in California. They are a small staff putting out a lot of content while also running a store, developing products, producing videos and traveling. FTFF 2015 is coming up, so time is going into that planning. And, Josh B is working at growing FT into something pretty spectacular. They are spread very thin.

AustinFurey

Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Thanks for noticing! We did indeed not post an episode last week (or two week ago, rather). Like Patrick mentioned, we just got back from a huge travel stint and had a pre-recorded episode ready to release but had to pull for unforeseen reasons and could not re-record due to travel.

We will be back this Friday with a new episode! We will continue to alternate with Chris and FT Afterhours for every other week but we hope to in the future put out a weekly podcast in addition to the Afterhours content.

Thanks for your patience and you will "hear" from us soon :) -Austin

The crew is coming off of a marathon traveling jaunt. They were at Nall, then out in California. They are a small staff putting out a lot of content while also running a store, developing products, producing videos and traveling. FTFF 2015 is coming up, so time is going into that planning. And, Josh B is working at growing FT into something pretty spectacular. They are spread very thin.

Sounds like us at the end of the school year. :black_eyed:

Thanks for noticing! We did indeed not post an episode last week (or two week ago, rather). Like Patrick mentioned, we just got back from a huge travel stint and had a pre-recorded episode ready to release but had to pull for unforeseen reasons and could not re-record due to travel.

We will be back this Friday with a new episode! We will continue to alternate with Chris and FT Afterhours for every other week but we hope to in the future put out a weekly podcast in addition to the Afterhours content.

Thanks for your patience and you will "hear" from us soon :) -Austin

Thanks for the quick response, Austin.
I completely understand what it's like to be in that type of situation, so no worries.
I'll be looking forward to the next release.

Burly

I tried to play the latest podcast this morning, Monday June 8. What I'm hearing is the Bert Rutan podcast that was 4 podcasts ago.

I think the wrong MP3 file got uploaded. Either that or my PC is going bonkers.