Help! So things just are not working out.

Steamy Piles

So,
I bought my first Flite Test plane probably 3 or 4 months ago now, it was the Masters Series Corsair. For a first build using this assembly style I was actually quite impressed with how everything shaped up and fit together.

I ran into trouble with the tail section, it simply did not fit together as shown in the build video presented by John.

However, being that this was my first build I figured that I had not spent enough time trimming and shaping parts to get the right fit and caulked it to this being my first build.

So I placed an order for a second Corsair and thought it would turn out better, which it mostly did, but I ran into the same issue with the tail section and after some work, I managed to get thing to fit better. I spent some time here trying to sort out what was going wrong as the same issue had occurred in the same spot twice. When I watched and re-watched the video probably a dozen time specific to this area I finally figured out that the set of formers that are used in this area may not be getting cut out right as the video says there are different sized formers, when in fact, there are not. This seems to have happened in the transition from the original brown foam to the new white foam.

Not being discouraged and with lots of glue sticks left over, I ordered more planes, maybe too many, but hey, we are having a pandemic so I needed something to do.

I built the P47 in brown foam and it worked out perfect, I built the Baby Blender without issue, I built the Edge 540 without issue, followed by two Mini Cruisers, a Mini Scout without issue. I was so impressed that I ordered the P51 and another P47.

Here is where things get ugly and I have to wonder if something hasn't happened to the original cut plans or the laser cutter or some other gremlin that has found a place to hide.

First, the P51 is still on back order and I have been waiting for a month or so for that, no issue, it's Christmas and it looks like lots of builders wanted that plane. The P47 arrived five weeks after it was ordered (oh, ps, I am in Canada, all my stuff is coming out of Great Hobby's in Canada, not from Flite Test, this means I have no import issues and can order lipo product without paying $$$$$ for delivery) and the delay in delivery was probably just Christmas volume at Canada Post.

So the P47 in white foam shows up on the 23rd and I have the 23rd, 24th off from work, so I am all about putting the 47 together, except when I peel back the plastic, parts start dropping on the table and floor like it is raining foam parts. This hasn't happened before. As I started to inventory the sheets it became very obvious very quickly that there is an issue over at the laser cutter department.

The battery box and power pod had been 100% cut through, making A, B or C folds impossible, the back third of the rudder was just gone, cut right off like the sheet was either not aligned or it was too small or some other issue with parts layout, half the foam spars, being a front and rear, had been 100% cut, the sheet that holds the rear stabilizer and elevator had been cut 100% down the fold line, see the pic, and there are a few other issues with cuts and scores that just didn't work out. Sadly, I had wanted to do this 47 as the bubble top as the other one is the razor back, but the piece got so pooched that that will not happen.
So, I decided to call tech support and the guy I talked to was really helpful and I sent him a mail with pics that he will forward to FT to get a replacement kit sent out, absolutely awesome customer service from Joe at Great Hobbies in Edmonton :).

But the story doesn't end here. I figured that customer feedback is probably the best way to let manufacturers know when there is a problem and what may be a suggested fix. I have noticed over the last several builds that there is an issue between the brown foam and build video's vs the white foam. Stuff just doesn't seem to work out when the builder is building the brown version in the video and you are building a white version. This applies to the Corsair and the P47 and then the P51 is in the white foam in the video. It's almost like the generic size of the foam sheets must have been different and somebody tried to adjust the parts layout on the new sheet size or something like that because former sizes seem to be off.

I was kinda bored so I decided to start assembling some of the parts that did not get 100% cut threw and found some other issues that may need to be looked at. This concerns formers 1, 2, 3 and 4 and the skins. I have taken pictures that show what seems to be sizing issues with either the formers or the skin, some of the cuts on the largest fuselage piece, the one the wing mounts to, seem to have been cut with slight curves on the top and bottom. I have not glued some of the parts together as I was unable to build the battery box. The jar of peanut butter is not only a delicious snack, but it makes a really good weight :)

Recommendations to the manufacturer.

1. I know this is going to be a pain in the neck, but do a build video using the white foam for the Masters Series planes.

2. Check the build plans and make sure that formers and skins still fit the sheets, I do not know if the part layout works on both the brown and white or if the sheets are the same size. I have also noticed that the lay out marks for the skewers that hold the power pod in are missing. With this many errors I would suggest a full review of the plans because something has obviously been changed.

3. Pull a kit at random from the production line and build it to check for obvious errors. This would be specific to the Master Series as I have not had a single issue with any other kit, they all go together perfectly.

4. The Masters Warbirds are shown with landing gear but that doesn't appear in the build video's. Could somebody please add that or add a link to it, I have searched for it and it does not seem to exist.

5. Almost forgot this one. The accessory packs, the bag that has the skewers, rubber bands, plywood cutouts etc., seems to be getting mixed up in some of the kits. The second Corsair I ordered came with the the wrong wooden spars which was really obvious, it was missing the fire wall/motor mount and generally just seemed to be the wrong parts kit for the kit. I ordered a replacement kit and it was also the wrong kit, so there seems to be a disconnect here to. I attribute this to growing pains and stuff like that.

Sorry to complain, I am just trying to help and not wanting to bring negativity to anything.

Notes.

I think you guys at Flite Test are doing an amazing job. From design, manufacturing, tutorial video's, events, social media and just awesome flight videos. I think you have really done some great things to promote r/c flying. You have some superb products that are fun and easy to build and I will continue to support your business.

Regard's,

Steamy Piles, alias for World of Warplanes, World of Warships, Warthunder and many many more :)
Fly safe and have fun.

Attachments

• 20201223_150719.jpg
    20201223_150719.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201223_151500.jpg
    20201223_151500.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201223_151621.jpg
    20201223_151621.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201223_151807.jpg
    20201223_151807.jpg
  • 20201223_152229.jpg
    20201223_152229.jpg
  • 20201223_152235.jpg
    20201223_152235.jpg
    777.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201223_152504.jpg
    20201223_152504.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201227_093640.jpg
    20201227_093640.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201227_094137.jpg
    20201227_094137.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201227_100411.jpg
    20201227_100411.jpg
    817.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201227_100445.jpg
    20201227_100445.jpg
    859.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201227_103006.jpg
    20201227_103006.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201227_103026.jpg
    20201227_103026.jpg
    880.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

tesseract

Master member
So,
I bought my first Flite Test plane probably 3 or 4 months ago now, it was the Masters Series Corsair. For a first build using this assembly style I was actually quite impressed with how everything shaped up and fit together.

I ran into trouble with the tail section, it simply did not fit together as shown in the build video presented by John.

However, being that this was my first build I figured that I had not spent enough time trimming and shaping parts to get the right fit and caulked it to this being my first build.

So I placed an order for a second Corsair and thought it would turn out better, which it mostly did, but I ran into the same issue with the tail section and after some work, I managed to get thing to fit better. I spent some time here trying to sort out what was going wrong as the same issue had occurred in the same spot twice. When I watched and re-watched the video probably a dozen time specific to this area I finally figured out that the set of formers that are used in this area may not be getting cut out right as the video says there are different sized formers, when in fact, there are not. This seems to have happened in the transition from the original brown foam to the new white foam.

Not being discouraged and with lots of glue sticks left over, I ordered more planes, maybe too many, but hey, we are having a pandemic so I needed something to do.

I built the P47 in brown foam and it worked out perfect, I built the Baby Blender without issue, I built the Edge 540 without issue, followed by two Mini Cruisers, a Mini Scout without issue. I was so impressed that I ordered the P51 and another P47.

Here is where things get ugly and I have to wonder if something hasn't happened to the original cut plans or the laser cutter or some other gremlin that has found a place to hide.

First, the P51 is still on back order and I have been waiting for a month or so for that, no issue, it's Christmas and it looks like lots of builders wanted that plane. The P47 arrived five weeks after it was ordered (oh, ps, I am in Canada, all my stuff is coming out of Great Hobby's in Canada, not from Flite Test, this means I have no import issues and can order lipo product without paying $$$$$ for delivery) and the delay in delivery was probably just Christmas volume at Canada Post.

So the P47 in white foam shows up on the 23rd and I have the 23rd, 24th off from work, so I am all about putting the 47 together, except when I peel back the plastic, parts start dropping on the table and floor like it is raining foam parts. This hasn't happened before. As I started to inventory the sheets it became very obvious very quickly that there is an issue over at the laser cutter department.

The battery box and power pod had been 100% cut through, making A, B or C folds impossible, the back third of the rudder was just gone, cut right off like the sheet was either not aligned or it was too small or some other issue with parts layout, half the foam spars, being a front and rear, had been 100% cut, the sheet that holds the rear stabilizer and elevator had been cut 100% down the fold line, see the pic, and there are a few other issues with cuts and scores that just didn't work out. Sadly, I had wanted to do this 47 as the bubble top as the other one is the razor back, but the piece got so pooched that that will not happen.
So, I decided to call tech support and the guy I talked to was really helpful and I sent him a mail with pics that he will forward to FT to get a replacement kit sent out, absolutely awesome customer service from Joe at Great Hobbies in Edmonton :).

But the story doesn't end here. I figured that customer feedback is probably the best way to let manufacturers know when there is a problem and what may be a suggested fix. I have noticed over the last several builds that there is an issue between the brown foam and build video's vs the white foam. Stuff just doesn't seem to work out when the builder is building the brown version in the video and you are building a white version. This applies to the Corsair and the P47 and then the P51 is in the white foam in the video. It's almost like the generic size of the foam sheets must have been different and somebody tried to adjust the parts layout on the new sheet size or something like that because former sizes seem to be off.

I was kinda bored so I decided to start assembling some of the parts that did not get 100% cut threw and found some other issues that may need to be looked at. This concerns formers 1, 2, 3 and 4 and the skins. I have taken pictures that show what seems to be sizing issues with either the formers or the skin, some of the cuts on the largest fuselage piece, the one the wing mounts to, seem to have been cut with slight curves on the top and bottom. I have not glued some of the parts together as I was unable to build the battery box. The jar of peanut butter is not only a delicious snack, but it makes a really good weight :)

1. I know this is going to be a pain in the neck, but do a build video using the white foam for the Masters Series planes.

2. Check the build plans and make sure that formers and skins still fit the sheets, I do not know if the part layout works on both the brown and white or if the sheets are the same size. I have also noticed that the lay out marks for the skewers that hold the power pod in are missing. With this many errors I would suggest a full review of the plans because something has obviously been changed.

3. Pull a kit at random from the production line and build it to check for obvious errors. This would be specific to the Master Series as I have not had a single issue with any other kit, they all go together perfectly.

4. The Masters Warbirds are shown with landing gear but that doesn't appear in the build video's. Could somebody please add that or add a link to it, I have searched for it and it does not seem to exist.

5. Almost forgot this one. The accessory packs, the bag that has the skewers, rubber bands, plywood cutouts etc., seems to be getting mixed up in some of the kits. The second Corsair I ordered came with the the wrong wooden spars which was really obvious, it was missing the fire wall/motor mount and generally just seemed to be the wrong parts kit for the kit. I ordered a replacement kit and it was also the wrong kit, so there seems to be a disconnect here to. I attribute this to growing pains and stuff like that.

Sorry to complain, I am just trying to help and not wanting to bring negativity to anything.

Notes.

I think you guys at Flite Test are doing an amazing job. From design, manufacturing, tutorial video's, events, social media and just awesome flight videos. I think you have really done some great things to promote r/c flying. You have some superb products that are fun and easy to build and I will continue to support your business.

Regard's,

Steamy Piles, alias for World of Warplanes, World of Warships, Warthunder and many many more :)
Fly safe and have fun.
I don't think anyone else has had this problem. I would suggest buying straight from FT since FT products are always of great quality, and it should take about a week for it to get to you I believe. This "great hobbies" place is probably selling it cheaper for worse quality as they probably use different foam as FT.
As for the landing gears here is a video for help:
You can follow these instructions and scale it for the Warbird.
A tip of advice: the Brown foam board (specifically from FT)is more durable than any white foam I have used.
And NO, I do not work for FT and as such am not promoting them in any way.

mackaiver

Elite member
I don't think anyone else has had this problem. I would suggest buying straight from FT since FT products are always of great quality, and it should take about a week for it to get to you I believe. This "great hobbies" place is probably selling it cheaper for worse quality as they probably use different foam as FT.
A tip of advice: the Brown foam board (specifically from FT)is more durable than any white foam I have used.
i have white adams foam and it pretty dam durable once it has been globulated and built into a plane, but i cant compare since i haven't used ft foam yet

tesseract

Master member
So,

Notes.

Regard's,

Fly safe and have fun.
All these issues are due to the fact that this is manufactured by Great Hobbies not Flitetest

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
All these issues are due to the fact that this is manufactured by Great Hobbies not Flitetest
Is that true? I had no idea anyone else was manufacturing FT kits. I was about to say the foam board doesn't look like it was made by Adams, so it doesn't appear to be a genuine FT product. I am judging solely by the pics, so, I could be very mistaken.
I also did a bit of searching, but could not find any info that would verify it was made by GH.

tesseract

Master member
Is that true? I had no idea anyone else was manufacturing FT kits. I was about to say the foam board doesn't look like it was made by Adams, so it doesn't appear to be a genuine FT product. I am judging solely by the pics, so, I could be very mistaken.
I also did a bit of searching, but could not find any info that would verify it was made by GH.
This is from some ripoff company. Apparently here there's another case of illegal copying of plans- might be from the same store.

mastermalpass

Elite member
Oohf, not good. I would say FT ought to go inspect their third party distributors but... Pandemic. :/

As for A and B folds being cut right through, don't worry: I use paper-less Depron foam and so for FT Designs I have to cut straight through the red cross-hatched areas anyway. Stick a thick strip of tape to face of one piece of foam with plenty of it sticking out. Apply glue along the edge and stick the loose piece on. Using the desk to keep everything level, you can simply push the loose piece downwards and against the base piece - the tape will prevent the glue from bleeding out and sticking everything to the desk. Now you can wrap the tape up onto the outside face of the ever-so-recently-loose piece and your join will be even stronger than it would have been with paper, with little added weight. :)

1609950593428.png

mastermalpass

Elite member
Ah, I just remembered - I have yet to assemble the spars for a master series plane. For these I am going to avoid putting tape all along the edges as I don't want to try and glue the wing sheets to the glossy surface that tape will make; I feel the glue will be pulled off easily. I am considering using pieces of tape dashed along it, or just using tape to help me glue the foam pieces to each other but then removing it afterwards. As the spars are going to have most of the stress on the glue above and below them, I can't imagine the parallel spar pieces will be pulled apart from each other and so no tape should be needed on them.

Corsair714

You guys need to stop bashing Great Hobbies it's a great store. They are the biggest canadian hobby store. Not to be rude @PlanesAndThings but I don't think you know what you're talking about. I live in Canada and I know there is nothing wrong with great hobbies. Don't bash something you know anything about. Great hobbies buys the kits from FT. And for us canadians to order anything from the states it's freakin expensive with taxes and duties.

tesseract

Master member
Okay @Corsair714. I did not realize this earlier. I was just looking at another store that was illegally selling flitetest products and the two stores got mixed up in my mind. @Steamy Piles The problem may be the shipping rout being bumpy and shaking out the pieces, or that something is wrong with FliteTest's laser.
I am sorry for any confusion

So,

Notes.

Regard's,

Fly safe and have fun.
Sorry to interrupt, but gee wiz @Steamy Piles every time I read this thread title under "What's New" I think you're breaking up with... us.

Steamy Piles

Always grateful for tips and help, however, after reading the post, you would have seen that I live in Canada, and between Canada and Flite Test there is a boarder, and at that boarder they charge duty on stuff when it crosses that boarder, also, flite test still has a payment program from the 1980's and hasn't fully embraced modern ways to pay for stuff. Great Hobbies on the other hand is a National Hobby outlet here in Canada that brings all the stuff up from flite test and pays all the duty and stuff and adds it to the price, they also have modern ways to pay for stuff....like e-transfers which make things super easy, AND, they can ship lipo battery's for less that the 150 US dollar shipping fee. End of story, GH brings in stuff so we don't have all the other import issues.

:)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I live in Canada,
I live in Alberta, welcome fellow Canuck. I have been with FT for almost coming onto two years. I have only don the scratch building so I am not sure as to the condition of the SBK's. Like you I have built upwards of the triple digit mark in another handful of new planes i am sure. Some i have built 4 in a row, or the Scout was 8 times now. I have been getting more used to ordering from Great Hobbies and trying to source from Canadian warehouses for the same shipping reasons. You say you have been ordering batts from them, I should look into that. I usually buy them right at the store.

Where north of the 49th are you at?

Headbang

Master member
Always grateful for tips and help, however, after reading the post, you would have seen that I live in Canada, and between Canada and Flite Test there is a boarder, and at that boarder they charge duty on stuff when it crosses that boarder, also, flite test still has a payment program from the 1980's and hasn't fully embraced modern ways to pay for stuff. Great Hobbies on the other hand is a National Hobby outlet here in Canada that brings all the stuff up from flite test and pays all the duty and stuff and adds it to the price, they also have modern ways to pay for stuff....like e-transfers which make things super easy, AND, they can ship lipo battery's for less that the 150 US dollar shipping fee. End of story, GH brings in stuff so we don't have all the other import issues.

:)
And to add to that, most of the time if you take the flite test price and convert it you discover it is the exact same price as great hobbies charges, but there is no duty or shipping needed to be paid. As well if they don't have it they seem to able to get it pretty quick, even if the main warehouse does not have it. Great Hobbies is doing an awesome job on Flite Test. As well as fms and e-flite. The do a piss poor job on exte flite and others tho. Which is understandable, the bread and butter is the lower cost stuff.