1/6 SE5a: Building scale with DTFB

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I was thinking that too. They are larger in diameter than my plan but at this point I'm not complaining as it saves a lot of detailing time and provides the strength I need. Larger wheels will help a lot.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Strap yourselves in we are going for a ride.

Pilot prepped and ready

New wheels installed.

Squadron leader flags and mounts made, installed, and finished. Note that they are removable.

Instrument panel done. Headrest done.

Cover for vickers gun done. Scope done and mounted.

Overall she is shaping up well prior to final paint.

A few more guy wires to go between the IP struts. Need to do some rib tape on the ailerons (forgot!!!). Finish cutting roundel masks for painting.

and the radiator has not been touched yet. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_0475.JPG
    IMG_0475.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0476.JPG
    IMG_0476.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0477.JPG
    IMG_0477.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0478.JPG
    IMG_0478.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0480.JPG
    IMG_0480.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0481.JPG
    IMG_0481.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 13

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Thank you very much. Glad you are enjoying it.

I have the cockpit scarfing planned. Simple silicone tubing glued in place and will paint brown. I'll use acrylic so it does not rub off easy. I'll wrap up the missed rib tape on the ailerons and get some paint on them.

I also have a deviating plan that I'll share if it pans out. It might be a fun addition to the unique materials used for this build.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Had some company over last night so all I got done physically was the scarfing. Added some paint but it needs more. I also got the remaining guy wires done on the IP struts. No more guy wires!

So, the idea I had was this: I've been having trouble assembling the radiator from polystyrene strips. Plastic glue was a bust, CA was too brittle, and I did not want to use epoxy because of how goopy it gets. So, I drew up a 3D model of it in about 5 minutes and uploaded it to Shapeways to see how much it would cost and see if they could get it to me in time. Estimated time of delivery was 22-24 of July at a cost of nearly $30 for both parts shipped. TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT! So, I looked around and may have a solution with a fellow over at RCGroups, unless one of the FT guys sees this and wants to help a guy out.

Attachments

• IMG_0482.JPG
    IMG_0482.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 9

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I got confirmation that my parts are currently printing and will ship tomorrow with expedited shipping.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Ailerons are now done and I got confirmation that my 3d printed radiators will arrive on Saturday. Now to knock out the final painting and stitching details.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Ok, I picked a scheme to go with. The union jacks are done as well as the tail numbers. My technique is simple. The union jack looks clean as it may have come from the factory. The numbers were painted in the field and I wanted those to look more like a rush job. All I did not messy them up was pull the masking up while the paint was still wet. I did start on the roundels on the bottom of the bottom wing. Unfortunately when I pulled the vinyl mask this morning it also pulled the paint up with it. One of the drawbacks to doculam.:black_eyed: So I've re-aplied base paint there and I'll re-cut my masks on cardstock and then trace them. Looks like I'm painting free-hand.:cool:

Attachments

• B4863.jpg
    B4863.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0486.JPG
    IMG_0486.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0487.JPG
    IMG_0487.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0488.JPG
    IMG_0488.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 8

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Tracking shows my radiators should be in today. I spent a lot of time free-hand painting the roundels. I got the "G" traced out and painted as well. The bottom wing is done and the top I just have to finish the one roundel. Just a bit more detailing and I should be done this week. Unfortunately the weather looks horrible this week so I think I may not have another chance to fly her until FF. Ok by me as I know it will make it there in one piece.

Attachments

• IMG_0491.JPG
    IMG_0491.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0492.JPG
    IMG_0492.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0493.JPG
    IMG_0493.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 6

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Coming down the finishing line now...

Radiators came in yesterday. They look great! I sanded them down and cleaned them up a little from the fabrication process and sprayed a light mist of primer. I installed with gorilla glue and my usual metal ducting tape. Super solid. Nearly destroyed a brush painting in between the vanes but I got it done.

I started on the stitching. I made a template that I could get my spacing right for the pins. I drew my refernece line and poked holes all along it. I placed each pin individually. I think there are around 200... for each side :eek: THen the line was woven back and forth and tied off. Glue was applied to the pins and line and pushed down to the fuselage. I got a shot of the dried glue with my finger as a reference for size. Those pins have to be placed with tweezers. I think it turned out great. Now to do the other side!

Attachments

• IMG_0495.JPG
    IMG_0495.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0497.JPG
    IMG_0497.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0498.JPG
    IMG_0498.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0499.JPG
    IMG_0499.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0500.JPG
    IMG_0500.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0501.JPG
    IMG_0501.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0502.JPG
    IMG_0502.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0494.JPG
    IMG_0494.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
LOL, not sure if that is a compliment or not. No offense taken :) there is still some work to be done on the front end. I think I need some panel lines to purdy her up.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Thank you. I wanted to take a second to plug the fellow that printed my parts for me. He can be reached over at rc groups under the username odiewan. He had no issues with the file I sent him and at $20 for a custom part shipped in 2 business days I will sure be using him again for my needs. For reference I used wings3d for my modeling.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
It's a free program that build using solids. It's very easy to learn and exports to stl format which is required for printing. I've been using it for years for real flight modeling. I love it.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
So I used a real camera tonight for two reasons... Bad lighting in my basement and my phone take really crappy pictures of details. Moving on...

I used a vinyl mask to outline the panel lines on the sides of the fuselage. while the lighting still sucks this slightly photoshopped pic shows the panel lines. That's 5 coats of paint. It shows up better in the flesh. You would really never be able to tell they are there unless you get close. But I know they are there.

My stitching is done! that meant it was time to paint he G and the tail stripe. So I did.

Overall she is 99.8% done. All that is left is the venting holes on the bottom of the fuselage and a CG check. All that will be done tomorrow.

I'm calling this one quits. No more details I want to add. There is an important lesson here for those wanting to get into scale building. Building scale is not necessarily ever done. Its just when you are done adding detail. I've seen guys add loads and loads more but I've done what I wanted done. I think it looks pretty good for what it is. Considering the airframe alone was about $15 total I'm pretty happy with it.

Attachments

• IMG_8606.jpg
    IMG_8606.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8611.JPG
    IMG_8611.JPG
    926.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8612.JPG
    IMG_8612.JPG
    907 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8605.jpg
    IMG_8605.jpg
    788.4 KB · Views: 15

Justwingit

OUTSTANDING :D!!!

I've been lurking around here and I've got to say, this is really becoming quite a brilliant piece of work....simply amazing watching this plane come together...:cool:

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Thank you so very much! I woke up early and got the holes cut before leaving for work. Now to check the CG...

edit:

Just checked it and everything is perfect. I'll get an AUW when I get home... I really need to leave for work!

Last edited: