Most 4-axis fun for 249 grams?

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
I've mostly built C-pack and larger planes but now I am wondering if I should perhaps see 249 grams like when you are assigned to use only three colors in art class? Maybe the limitation can spark some creativity.

So, as the title says, what do you guys think could be the most fun 4-axis 249-gram build?
Can a C-pack make weight or should I use something else?

As always, thanx in advance

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I've thought about building a micro foamboard version of a foamy someone gave me. Be interesting to see if a) it would fly, and b) it would be sub 250.

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
The most fun I had with less than 250 gramms is hands down this Travel Air Mystery Ship. Its 80 cm wingspan and build from 2mm foam. Ready to fly weight is just 160 gramms, the motor is 2202 size with 8x4 prop. The most appealing thing about this plane is how it flies just like a full scale plane. you have to coordinate turns, it stalls like a large plane and the flight speed is at a very good pace. Its slow enough to feel like a big plane, but fast enough for a racer feel. I really like this one. But the wind throws it around quite a bit.

IMG_20221127_192730[1].jpg

IMG_20221127_192750[1].jpg

This one is 3D printed and with small enough motors, like 1103 on 2s 500mAh, it can be build sub 250 gramm. But it is very close on the edge and depends on the print and the electronics. Its nimble, efficient, flat spins are super fun and just a very nice flying plane. Again, flies like a racer, but with tiny motors, there just isnt the top end speed. For me, 2205 motors are the sweet spot, takes a wide range of batteries, but then its more like 350 gramms. And this plane delivered the most amazing FPV experience ever.
IMG_20230810_104946[1].jpg

IMG_20230810_105001[1].jpg

The Travel Air is my favorite sub 250 for indoor and super calm days, while th twin is for outdoor.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
The most fun I had with less than 250 gramms is hands down this Travel Air Mystery Ship. Its 80 cm wingspan and build from 2mm foam. Ready to fly weight is just 160 gramms, the motor is 2202 size with 8x4 prop. The most appealing thing about this plane is how it flies just like a full scale plane. you have to coordinate turns, it stalls like a large plane and the flight speed is at a very good pace. Its slow enough to feel like a big plane, but fast enough for a racer feel. I really like this one. But the wind throws it around quite a bit.

View attachment 240110
View attachment 240111

This one is 3D printed and with small enough motors, like 1103 on 2s 500mAh, it can be build sub 250 gramm. But it is very close on the edge and depends on the print and the electronics. Its nimble, efficient, flat spins are super fun and just a very nice flying plane. Again, flies like a racer, but with tiny motors, there just isnt the top end speed. For me, 2205 motors are the sweet spot, takes a wide range of batteries, but then its more like 350 gramms. And this plane delivered the most amazing FPV experience ever.
View attachment 240112
View attachment 240113

The Travel Air is my favorite sub 250 for indoor and super calm days, while th twin is for outdoor.
do you have a link to the 3d dprinted one