10ft Wingspan Guinea Pig

L Edge

Master member
One problem you might have is the plane when it sits in a crosswind, it will probably going to tip onto one wing because your main wheels are so close. The further out you get them, the better off your are. I made a cowling to cover each wheel to blend in with fuse. Otherwise, you have to takeoff straight into the wind.

If you have a Spectrum DX 9 radio or above, you can use the sequencer and make a nose wheel brake that has three positions. First is no brake(takeoff), second is lock brake (to run up engines), and third is you have an oscillating brake (on/off) so you can taxi it. I have 2 engines so the other sequencer starts the right engine and idles , then 4 seconds later starts the left and idles.

Hutch Bunch Rc

One problem you might have is the plane when it sits in a crosswind, it will probably going to tip onto one wing because your main wheels are so close. The further out you get them, the better off your are. I made a cowling to cover each wheel to blend in with fuse. Otherwise, you have to takeoff straight into the wind.

If you have a Spectrum DX 9 radio or above, you can use the sequencer and make a nose wheel brake that has three positions. First is no brake(takeoff), second is lock brake (to run up engines), and third is you have an oscillating brake (on/off) so you can taxi it. I have 2 engines so the other sequencer starts the right engine and idles , then 4 seconds later starts the left and idles.

I will be able to take off into the wind.

L Edge

Master member
Another project you could do is to release a shuttle that's mounted above your transport so it glides back to earth. You can design your own and fly it back(need another person) or buy a foam one , weight the nose and say left wing and when its released, it will spiral down.The foam you can get for under $10.

Hutch Bunch Rc

Another project you could do is to release a shuttle that's mounted above your transport so it glides back to earth. You can design your own and fly it back(need another person) or buy a foam one , weight the nose and say left wing and when its released, it will spiral down.The foam you can get for under $10.
Assuming the Guinea flys, I’ll do it 😁👍. That would be cool to make a space shuttle type glider that someone else would control down. Thanks for the idea, I like it.

Hutch Bunch Rc

9AD75139-8655-499E-AEA0-A48C4CF70DFC.jpeg
Flyby shot, the guinea flew perfectly right from takeoff!

demotors

Well I’m not sure how to start this, this is my first post, I’m 14 years old and I’ve flown rc for about 5 years now and have built (pshhh I mean crashed) plenty of foam and balsa planes. I’ve known about Flite test for 3 or so years now, I have built a few of their planes and use their building style on every plane I build. Awhile ago I bought a speed build kit for the Ft Guinea pig, and I loved it. View attachment 184378 So... I decided to go bigger. I’ve decided to build a 180% version of the Guinea pig, I’ve used this post for help quite a bit https://www.flitetest.com/articles/the-big-guinea-180-dtfb-ft-guinea-pig except I’m doing a 120” wingspan and a twin motor design instead of 4 motors. I’ve been working on it for around 4 days now and I started with this, View attachment 184371 And 6 hours of work later I have this, View attachment 184372 As you see it, it weighs about 4 pounds, with the other wingtip and the tail I’m estimating it will weigh around 5 pounds. This will be without any electronics. Speaking of electronics, I’m planing on using 6 standard size servos, a few 9 grams for the cargo door, 4250 800kv motors that are over 700 watts each and have around 6 pounds of thrust each. I will use any Esc I can find cheap, probably 80a escs. For batteries I am going to use x4 turnigy 3000mah 4s packs. 2 for each motor, they will be in parallel to basically give me a 6000mah 4s for each motor. At the current moment I’m thinking the all up weight of the plane will be a little over 10 pounds (5 pound shell, 1 pound in batteries, 1 pound in motors and escs, and then the servos and everything else) I’m wanting to paint it in a blue angles “fat Albert” theme. I will post more as I get farther along and when I buy the electronics I will make a list, I haven’t bought electronics yet in case I need to use bigger motors but I should be fine. The posts from now on will be starting from the first steps and going along, so I guess that’s it for this post.
I'm building a 100% size Guinea Pig from a speed build kit, with 4 2212 motors on a slightly greater wingspan (simply because the non-kit foam board allows it. The kit wing will use 2 2217 motors. Good luck on your 120 inch build. Keep us posted On progress.

demotors

Really there isn’t a whole lot of stuff left to do on the guinea, I need to order motors and escs now that I know how much it weighs, I need to make the wing struts out of some 1/8 aluminum I bought, I need to make the nacelles and mount the motors and escs, I need to Finish the tail (the little winglet things and the dowels to support the vertical stab), I also need to make a removable battery tray, it has to be in the nose so that will be interesting to make... and finally I need to figure out how I want to do the nose wheel, and then that’s honestly it, ooh I forgot paint. I will order the electronics probably tomorrow, and I’ll finish the Guinea here soon, I’ll have it ready by next years flying season for sure
RE: nose wheel. I built a FT B25 Mitchell bomber. I bought the landing gear kit. I wanted a steerable nose wheel. I used a .60 -1.20 size tail wheel. I used a mini servo. I mounted it to the nose sandwiching the foam nose with 2 pieces if thin plywood. Works like a champ. As an alternate I could have used a caster nose when Ala my mini guinea and use differential thrust to steer it. My home brew setup works fine. The mini guinea and B25 twins sound great. I just finished a triple motor Legacy. Haven't flown it yet, but it sounds great. The 4 motor Guinea Pig should sound really cool.
If anyone has a video clip of a 4 motor plane please share it.

Craig G

Somehow I missed this, fantastic build, very well done. Enlarging FT designs and using foamboard requires some consideration, as the material doesn't scale well and usually requires reinforcement. My enlarged builds have usually been a compromise of materials for this reason. My current enlarged FT project is all foamboard, but doubled and tripled in thickness for strength.

Attachments

• 20230623_185406.jpg
    20230623_185406.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0