125% Mini Scout!

Justwingit

Here's the latest project from the Justwingit hangar....a 125% Mini Scout!

The Mini Scout was a plane I've been looking for; 3 channels, half antique looking, half WWI...perfect! Except for one thing.....the anemic powerplant, tiny 5 gram servos, etc. :(

Now, Josh did say in the video that he would probably release a bigger version in the spring, but I wanted mine NOW :eek:!

Hmmmm....:rolleyes:

My flying buddy, Hillbilly30, inspired me to make one of these from scratch....so I did :cool:

I downloaded the plans, and then printed them off on a plotter at 125% scale; this gave me a wingspan of roughly 30", plenty big enough for the powerplant I wanted to use, and put it squarely in the "Dusty" size category, also powered by a respectable power system and using fairly common 9 gram servos.

I took my time building it, and even then, it really only took a couple of days to build. One day to trace and cut-out the pieces, and another few hours or so to glue everything together. The final step was to install all the electronics and that didn't take very long at all....probably the shortest step. I did take some liberties with the original design here and there, but mostly stuck with the original plans. The main place I deviated was I used a traditional firewall, and not a power pod....

Here's a video of some flying I did yesterday:
(As with all my videos, they're shot in full 720P HD. For best viewing, I recommend you open it in YouTube, click on the little gear on the lower right hand corner of the viewing window, select "720P HD" and voila! You can now enjoy the flight in full HD splendor!)

As you can see, she's VERY aerobatic, has plenty of pep, and still floats in for landings like a feather.....simply an awesome design, made even better by a little size increase ;)!

Specs:
Motor: Turnigy Aerodrive D2830/11 1000 kV
ESC: Turnigy Plush 30A
Servos: Turnigy HXT-900 (x2)
Battery: Zippy 3S 1000 mAh (25-35C)
Prop: APC 9x4.7 Slow Fly or Great Planes 9x4.5 Power Flow

If you're sitting on the fence on scratchbuilding, don't! I highly recommend going for it, as this is an easy way to get your dreams into the sky :cool:

Cheers all and happy landings :)!

Attachments

• P1180516.JPG
    P1180516.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Byrdman

I am looking to do one soon, but from my measurements, the Simple Scout has a wingspan of around 37" and the Mini Scout scaled up 125% is about 30", so I don't think so. The 125% Mini is in-between the two.

Plus, the wing is different construction as well. I just built a full size scout using the mini wing construction process. I flew it today for the first time and it flew awesome. I really couldn't believe how well it flew.

Last edited: