Bush Plane Challenge III - The Timber Scout

AgentC

Elite member
Starting a thread for my build for the challenge.
I started with a FT Commuter that I tried to adapt, but benched that for the time being and went with a new design I'm creating called the Timber Scout.
As the name suggests, it's a mashup of the UMX Turbo Timber and the FT Mini Scout.
The idea came into being a few months ago when I had my Mini Scout next to the UMX Turbo Timber, and see that they're roughly the same dimensions, so wouldn't it be cool to make a FT-style version using the Scout as a base model?

Last edited:

AgentC

Elite member
Here's the original Timber Scout Prototype.
IMG_20220501_003611.jpg IMG_20220501_003211.jpg IMG_20220501_003218.jpg IMG_20220501_003227.jpg IMG_20220501_003024.jpg

With a 2S 650mAh, she comes in at 215g.
The nose design isn't that great, and a battery can't fit in there, so she's generally quite tail heavy, but still flyable.

The fuselage is mostly different, but the wing, vertical and horizontal stabs are basically the same, tweaked here and there only a bit.

I also had great success in created a trail wheel that's supported by the fuselage but still steerable.
I was having problems with the Commuter adaptation with the tail treating due to it taking the while list of the tail wheel.
IMG_20220430_145100.jpg IMG_20220430_170441.jpg

Last edited:

AgentC

Elite member
Because the Prototype works great, I've decided to try refine the design more and have it look more like the Turbo Timber.
As such, the design isn't really a Modified Mini Scout, but a whole new design with absolutely every part changed from the original.
IMG_20220504_232901.jpg IMG_20220504_232919.jpg

With a 2S 800mAh lipo in, the Timber Scout Version 1.1 comes in heavier at 245g. This makes sense as I've had ailerons (flaperon setup) and bolstered up the nose a bit.
The wing is thinner but also longer. The Prototype has a removable wing to get the payload in, but with v1.1, I've glued the wing in and have the front top hinged and held in with magnets. Again, more like the UMX Turbo Timber. I think I'll be able to get the 100% payload in there, but only time will tell...

I'm still happy that all in, she covers under 250g.
IMG_20220504_220552.jpg

The design had very little resemblance to the Mini Scout, but I'm keeping it in the name because that's where the original idea came from, and I just like the name :)

Last edited:

AgentC

Elite member
Reserved for Timber Scout v1.1 maiden flight, and subsequent notes and fixes.

2022-05-05: Maiden
IMG_20220505_170921.jpg

A gammy elevator servo and a very weak wing structure are the cause of this.
Easy fixes, though, so will have version 1.2 designed tonight, maybe even the build started.

Other than those fatal errors, the plane flies better than the Prototype, so it's step back, but two steps forwards.

Last edited:

AgentC

Elite member
I took the Prototype for a flight tonight using a 3S 1100mAh, just practicing takeoffs, landings and taxiing, and got a 9-minute run-time to get the lipo to storage. With my flying style, I had to retrieve the plane a few times from the long grass and bring it to where I was landing and taking off, but all-in-all, it was a great success. Next, I'll have the updated pool-noodle wheels that I tested installed and see how they go.
IMG_20220505_001319.jpg

Even with the 80g lipo, it is still tail heavy, but flyable. If v1.1 is a failure, I know I'll be able to come back to this design and get it to work well for the challenge.

The next time I fly, I might even bring the extra lipos in using for weight to get it up to the 100% (430g) and see how she flies.

Last edited:

Bo123

Elite member
An idea with the pool noodle wheels, cover them with a balloon or something like that to give you a nice rubber look. Actually you gave me a very good idea with those pool noodles for my build.

AgentC

Elite member
Before:
IMG_20220504_232850_1.jpg

During:
IMG_20220505_170921.jpg

After:
IMG_20220506_001846.jpg

Used original Gorilla Glue (instead of the clear one) for the first time tonight. Wow, that stuff is fantastic!

1. Glued the nose back on, as well as the top of the front fuselage (and window).
  2. The wing is again removable. I also added BBQ skewers in the bottom of the fuselage to have the gear on with elastics. This will hopefully work better than the hot glue I've been using, and the elastics seemingly give some good shock resistance. In future, this mod will also allow for quick and easy change to floats, like I've done with previous Scout builds. IMG_20220226_090153.jpg IMG_20220228_110038.jpg
  3. Dodgy servo was also replaced, so hopefully with have elevator control next time...
  4. Added coffee stirrers as spars for the wings, glued in place just in front of the control surfaces, as that's where it looks like most of the stress is.
  5. Reinforced the back of the wing with a piece of BBQ skewer so what's don't dig into the foam.
  6. I swapped the wheels around, so the Prototype now has the 'real' ones and the v 1.1 has the pool noodle ones, which I want to test out more.
The tail-heavy Prototype developed a loose motor-mount during today's flights (and not-so-delicate landings), so that was gorilla glued back into place, too.
IMG_20220506_001859.jpg

Last edited:

AgentC

Elite member
She flies!
I reverted to a glued down fuselage with the removable wing for better access to cabin space and servo management, and the fuselage is much stronger now this way, too. Elastics are a hassle, but the best I've come up with for the wing attachment. The wing also has some reinforcement in the form of 2 coffee stirrer sticks.
IMG_20220507_115407.jpg IMG_20220507_115438.jpg IMG_20220507_114904.jpg
I added 2 BBQ skewers at the bottom of the fuselage for the gear. Those work a treat, as long as they're lined up decently.
IMG_20220507_114814.jpg IMG_20220507_115516.jpg IMG_20220507_115528.jpg IMG_20220507_115539.jpg

She's a tad tail heavy with a 2S 800mAh tucked into the nose, so if you're using a battery that's 40g or so, you might want to remove paper from the inside of the fuselage at the back.

BETA plans are attached here, set up as tiled (Letter) and 20x30, just in case that's useful.

Attachments

• Timber Scout v1.1 (BETA).pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

AgentC

Elite member
Been having dodgy flights, and thought it could do with the wing shape, so I made a new one, slightly shorter in length but longer width, and that's made it immediately a much better flyer.
IMG_20220511_160130.jpg

So, going to test this again tonight and then will update the plans to match.

I also need my friend Sam to help me with the Flaperon ratios so that they actually work...

Beaver5150

Very interesting. I've had a similar idea lurking in the back of my head for a minute. As with all my builds, I'll probably use whatever I have on hand based on either a 2206/2300kv or an 1806/2200kv motor and whatever other surplus parts I have. I keep building 60" planes, but I want to build a small scale "basher" plane small enough to rip around in close proximity. I have plenty of "airspace" for big planes, but sometimes I'd like to keep it up close and personal backyard style like I used to do with small 100-200 class helicopters when I was limited to a small area in an urban setting.

It's always refreshing to read up on someone else's projects. We all have our different ways of looking at things, but we all want the same end results. And I learn something everytime I read these things.
Drive on!

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Very interesting. I've had a similar idea lurking in the back of my head for a minute. As with all my builds, I'll probably use whatever I have on hand based on either a 2206/2300kv or an 1806/2200kv motor and whatever other surplus parts I have. I keep building 60" planes, but I want to build a small scale "basher" plane small enough to rip around in close proximity. I have plenty of "airspace" for big planes, but sometimes I'd like to keep it up close and personal backyard style like I used to do with small 100-200 class helicopters when I was limited to a small area in an urban setting.

It's always refreshing to read up on someone else's projects. We all have our different ways of looking at things, but we all want the same end results. And I learn something everytime I read these things.
Drive on!
My back yard bashing is done with 20" to 30" stuff, though most of that is with chuck glider conversions.

I have used the FT Beaver a time or two:

But I've been working on some sort of foamboard airframe with the same sort of bonsai proximity flying I like to do in mind.