1800 kv question

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
No. It's rated at 16a, so something in the 5" range, maybe 6x4, is all you're gonna get. I'd highly suggest testing with a watt meter no matter what you pick.

My 1800kv motor with a 7x6 prop pulls 65a.

EDIT:
It looks like a 7x4 might max you out at 16amps on that motor. My comment about my 1800kv motor pulling 65a was lacking in details. The conclusion I was trying to draw is that on my 1800kv motor a 7x prop brings the motor right to rated specs. This should scale down pretty accurately from my experience with smaller motors.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Nerdnic, uh, where are you getting those numbers. That Suppo isn't a very strong motor. It is only rated for 16 A, which is definitely wimpy for a motor of that size/weight, but for short bursts, it'll only be in the low 20's on a 3s with an 8x4, which would be fine on short bursts.

I'd personally recommend a Himodel of the same size, or an Emax in that size range...way more power for the same current. Might even be able to drop back to 2s for the same thrust you'd get from the Suppo on 3s. Here are the stats on the Himodel 2208 1800: http://www.bhabbott.net.nz/A2208-12.html
In comparison to these numbers from the Suppo:
http://www.flybrushless.com/motor/view/48

And the Himodel costs just over half as much!

Last edited:

Flat4

Nerdnic, uh, where are you getting those numbers. That Suppo isn't a very strong motor. It is only rated for 16 A, which is definitely wimpy for a motor of that size/weight, but for short bursts, it'll only be in the low 20's on a 3s with an 8x4, which would be fine on short bursts.

I'd personally recommend a Himodel of the same size, or an Emax in that size range...way more power for the same current. Might even be able to drop back to 2s for the same thrust you'd get from the Suppo on 3s. Here are the stats on the Himodel 2208 1800: http://www.bhabbott.net.nz/A2208-12.html
In comparison to these numbers from the Suppo:
http://www.flybrushless.com/motor/view/48

And the Himodel costs just over half as much!

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I see very little if any difference between the suppo motor and Himodel motor based off the spec sheets you linked. Not sure if you were comparing the charts wrong or if I am, but spec wise the suppo and Himodel are close to identical.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
The best way to know whether a prop is too big is to buy an in-line amp-meter and test it out. You can get a basic amp-meter that goes up to 30 amps from Hobbyking for about $5. Higher-end models are available too.

But what if you don't want to do trial-and-error with prop sizes? If you can find a spec sheet for the motor, that's the best way to determine the biggest prop your motor can swing. The spec sheet should say the battery size 3S, 4S; prop size; and current drawn. The manufacturer won't bother publishing specs for props that over-draw the motor, so as long as your ESC is big enough (including at least a 20% margin, and more if you aren't cooling it well) you can run any prop on the spec sheet, or smaller. You might also be able to run bigger ones, but you'll want to test with an amp-meter to be sure. For example, I have a 1400 kV motor that is only specced to run up to 8x4.5, but I am running an 8x6 on it just because I had a bag of them laying around. The amp meter shows that the 8x6 pulls 20.5 amps at WOT on a motor that is rated for 21 amps, so it's right on the line, but as long as I don't run the motor flat out for too long, I feel okay about it. But if I didn't have an amp meter, I would never have gone above the spec sheet's recommendations.

If you can't find a spec sheet, another way to go is to use eCalc, WebOCalc, or something similar, to estimate current draw. These calculators aren't perfect, but they get you in the ballpark.

Because motors can have different internal construction and quality levels, it's not necessarily safe to assume that two ostensibly similar motors can handle similar prop sizes. If you know about the details of motor construction, you can do a decent job of comparing two motors to see whether one's specs are truly similar to the other's. But just because two motors are roughly the same size and kv (for example) is not enough to say for sure that they can handle the same prop sizes.

Last edited:

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I see very little if any difference between the suppo motor and Himodel motor based off the spec sheets you linked. Not sure if you were comparing the charts wrong or if I am, but spec wise the suppo and Himodel are close to identical.

Here's the issue: Suppo on 2s produces 387 g of thrust at 6.9 V, but draws 10.5 A (APC 7x5)
Himodel, same power, 391 g, drawing 9.9 A
So the Himodel draws less power for slightly more thrust. As a result, it can ultimately swing a larger prop before hitting its current limit.

That being said, it would appear Dr. Kiwi's tests did not push the Suppo to its limit, so I was looking at the tables incorrectly for peak performance. Bottom line is that both motors are a bit anemic for 3s usage. You can suck almost as much thrust from them on 2s as you can on 3s. Better to go to a larger motor for 3s applications.