2 bladed props vs. 3 bladed props

TexasTeacher

Ready to Crash
ANy advice here? I notice most people fly 2 bladed props but i have seen a few that fly 3 bladed props and they really seem to like them.

Opinions or advice here?

I was thinking of buying some of each and seeing which one i like better.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Three bladed props provide more thrust, are harder to balance and are less efficient. Most folks find that the increase in thrust isn't worth the decrease in efficiency but with everything flight, YMMV. :)

mrwzrd59

Old Guy Geek
Three blades are OK

I'm a big fan (pun) of three bladed props because I like the way they sound and at the speeds we operate in, that change in efficiency is negligible. I do not agree that they are harder to balance but just different. I use a Dubro balancer and have found that most of the problem with balance is in the hub. I take weight out of the hub with a ball shaped burr in my dremel and I quickly get to a 98% balance without touching the blades. Rule of thumb is to go one size smaller from your two blade size and try to stay close to the same pitch. What got me started with three blades was my Model Aero Polaris came with a three bladed prop and it seemed too small but works amazing! The only drawback in my book is the lack of an exact match because they are just a little more scarce at the local hobby shops. I normally just order them online and get as close to the ideal as I can. I run a three blade on my Fun Cub and FT Storch. A 10/7 works great and you gain some prop strike clearance which is a good thing because I really chuck those two planes around and the gear is so flexi. Just don't be afraid to try them. Learning at the field is often the best way to find what you're looking for!

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Basically it goes like this. More blades=more thrust, and more blades=less efficiency. Basically, when a prop blade goes through the air, it creates turbulence and then next blade that moves through that air doesn't make as much thrust.