• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

2 vs 3 blades? , Pros / Cons

So kinda want to open a general talk about 3 bladed pros vs 2 bladed props. My quad came with 3 bladed props but alot of people fly it with 2 bladed and they do seem a bit easier to find.

So pros, cons, what do you guys think?

Topdawg

I have a couple quads with two blades, and a couple with three blades. I like them both. I think Rcmodelreviews did the best explanation of multiblade props I have seen in a while. here is the video. I think a very popular choice right now is the three blade props. All the stores I use have them readily available along side the two blades. I would love to hear someone who has used one of those new six blades. However, I have tons of the two and three blades and got asked the other day by my wife "how many propellers do I actually need?" So I don't think I will be purchasing any more until my stock diminishes a little.

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
I'm flying HQ prop 5x4x3 on my 6" quad. I prefer them to the HQ 6x4.5s

Here's another great discussion.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
More prop blades can generally give you more thrust for the same circular dimension. But there is a limitation when it comes to what your motor and esc can handle. More blades results in more load.

Pros to 3 bladed props
  • more thrust for the same diameter which is great when you run a high power motor on a smaller frame.

Cons to 3 bladed props
  • more difficult to transport. With 2 bladed props you can just rubber band them together and stuff them in a water bottle pouch. With a 3 bladed prop you need to store them flat.
  • quad storage width with props on would increase because you can't turn the props parallel to frame.
  • Less efficient than a 2 bladed prop which can result in reduced flight times when you really push it.
  • Typically more expensive than a 2 bladed prop.

Personally I like 3 bladed props. I am using the HQ 5X4X3 on my quad. If you're starting out or getting into acrobatics and would likely break a lot of props I would suggest sticking to cheap 2 bladed props for the time being...easier to find and a lot cheaper.

LitterBug

Troll Spammer
More blades = more rotating mass = slower response to motor speed changes. You may have more overall thrust, but it will be mushy. There is also a dimishing return to adding more and more blades. Most of the reviews I have seen on 4+ blades say they would be good for smooth video, but not rippin B@!!s.

Cheers!
LitterBug

PS: I run 3 blade when available.

Last edited: