2016-2017 build season: Help me pick!

Which plane should I build?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
With flying season FINALLY arriving in my area (weeks of rain subsiding) I plan to fully enjoy the season while making plans for the 2016-2017 build season. I think that most folks can pick through my builds and glean most all of my knowledge on composite building. I have three balsa builds to choose from for the upcoming build season that can showcase a lot of my work with a more organic building substrate: Balsa

I've done electric conversions in the past (Top Flite AT-6 Texan and P6-E Hawk) and I've built the Gee Bee Z but I've not done a full brain dump on a build here as it pertains to building with balsa. So, I'll give a run-down of the subjects and I would really like your input.

Dare Design and Engineering FW-190:
I started this one awhile ago but its smaller, not very complex, and is a foam-core ARF from back in the day. I can work to complete it or I can just use it as another build to take breaks from one of the other builds. Pneumatic retracts, scale panel lines, flush and pop rivets, a bit of cockpit detailing, and some other fun goodies.

Top Flite .60 size P-51 Mustang (Gold edition kit):
I have the kit. The basic fuselage has been framed but nothing majorly done. Pneumatic retracts, some scale cockpit details can be done, lots of opportunity for details and engineering due to electric power.

Top Flite .60 size F4U Corsair:
This one is bitter-sweet for me. I built one as a kid and it promptly crashed. After the frustration of it, the crash led me to leave the hobby. I have the kit with a partially built wing. I have a scale cockpit kit as well as dummy radial. I have pneumatic retracts for it, though one needs some repair. This one is a full-blown monster. Gear doors, fabric covering in places, trim/boost tabs, and all sorts of fun things that can be done or added.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
LOL, I usually do kits for balsa builds. Laser cut is my preference. I do not have the shop tools to easily cut my own ribs and such. It would take a year to cut all those parts.

lrussi750

Rogue Pilot
Mentor
I wanted to vote for the 190 but you need to get the Corsair finished and in the air, Baa Baa Black Sheep FTW!

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
My first scratch build was a corsair... I knew nothing about building and the result was pretty to look at but was destroyed immediately on hand launch. I'd say go for the corsair!

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Great.

Any thoughts on the feasability of the "whistling death" phenomina of the full scale plane?

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Pull a few of those whistles from nerf footballs and install? Always wondered how well that would work

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
A little too high-pitch. Perhaps with a sound module but I'm not counting on it. Its funny though, my Jug has a whistle. And while its not supposed to I quite enjoy it.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I love the feedback, guys. I was out in the garage yesterday and had a look at the box of stick that the corsair currently is. It got me a bit excited. Of course the mustang box was just below it as well. Keep the feedback coming.