2016-2017 build season: Help me pick!

Which plane should I build?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Perhaps half the challenge is strategically removing weight to accommodate the details? Finding lighter ways to make the same details?

Sure not as much fun, but preparing your canvas is just as important to the final product as how you slap the paint on your masterpiece.

From what I can see, you could replace a few of the formers in the back with a few strategically placed carbon and balsa re-fab'ed parts, or support wires (spectra fishing line) instead of formers. This could give you the same strength while making room in the tail weight for the details. I've heard it said quite a few times that tails are the only part to survive a crash because they're overbuilt -- a bit tong-in-cheek, but there's a grain of truth in that. Also noticing the main wings have two rather beefy spars -- I'm all in favor of strong wings, but if that's ply, it's gotta weigh a lot! Might be worth the time and effort to replace them to lower the overall weight.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I think that this subject will officially be determined at FTFF. I really appreciate the input guys. Thank you all!