2016-2017 build season: Help me pick!

Which plane should I build?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Coming to a close on this poll... and I have another candidate.

Back in March I attended the Lebanon swap meet and scored a very nice 1:6 Fokker D VI that was partially built out. Its basically in the bones and needs some finishing work done. An old Russian laser-cut kit that is very scale. Is there any interest in that model?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Oooooh . . . D VI is a pretty rare model -- it usually gets drowned out by the D VII (a better airplane, but only because they underpowered the D VI, a quirk any modeler can invisibly correct).

I say post a pic or two of the bones and perhaps a paint scheme and that might make the decision for you ;)

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Only picture I have, currently. The bones can be seen in the bottom right of the car.
12832384_1567033726957422_8016558136868286760_n.jpg

Along with the kit I got some rolls of lovely lozenge pattern iron on covering. So, something like this would be the ideal.
gar_mikael_carlson_1.jpg

Worth noting is that the tail planes are airfoiled and this would be one of those nearly hyper-scaling projects... which are always fun.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I wonder how many voters watched Black Sheep Squadron. I'm guessing at least 21 (the current tally for the F4u).

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Worth noting is that the tail planes are airfoiled and this would be one of those nearly hyper-scaling projects... which are always fun.

. . . and this hasn't made up your mind for you yet?

I mean I love a Corsair just as much as the next modeler, but they're a dime a dozen (even in hyper scale with opening canopy and scale retracts). P-51? Who doesn't have a P-51. FT has a P-51!!!! FW109? If it's a German WWII model you can probably guess the 109 blindfolded and guess it right most of the time. (edit: oops. 190, 109 . . . you know . . . :eek:) Come on man!!!

Rare. Hyperscale. Good catchy paint scheme. The chance to say "actually it's not a VII . . . " and launch into the plane's history?!?

Dude! This is the first one on your list that didn't have me around BTDT.

Last edited:

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
. . . and this hasn't made up your mind for you yet?

I mean I love a Corsair just as much as the next modeler, but they're a dime a dozen (even in hyper scale with opening canopy and scale retracts). P-51? Who doesn't have a P-51. FT has a P-51!!!! FW109? If it's a German WWII model you can probably guess the 109 blindfolded and guess it right most of the time. (edit: oops. 190, 109 . . . you know . . . :eek:) Come on man!!!

Rare. Hyperscale. Good catchy paint scheme. The chance to say "actually it's not a VII . . . " and launch into the plane's history?!?

Dude! This is the first one on your list that didn't have me around BTDT.

I'm with Dan here... Go with the VII

HilldaFlyer

Well, I'll have to go with the Fokker VII. I just love biplanes (and jets, and... well all planes).
If I had plans for all four, that is the one I would build.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Oh it sounds as the whistling death might be fading, even though... well you know, the voting. But if you want to rig your election process, it's yours do as you will.:mad:

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Well, the intent of the poll is to get feedback on what the community would like to see me build. If you go back and read the first post, I also have the intent of doing a balsa building brain dump. The DVI is a cool subject for sure. The problem is in two parts; 1) Its nearly complete in the build 2) Its mostly ply and there is little balsa work to elaborate on.

So there you have it. I think I would get more of a contribution to the community with the Corsair, but the DVI (no question) is a more interesting subject. Interesting subjects are my specialty but so it sharing what I know to enable others to do it (hopefully better than me). I'll take a gander at the kit this evening and have a closer look at what building work still needs done and report back. That may prove insightful. Granted that the kit is nearly all laser-cut ply... its built like a tank! Designed for a nitro engine rattling the entire thing around. Of course, I will go electric.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
See attached pictures.

Here's the deal... There is still plenty to do on this airplane. I do have a few repairs and leading edge balsa is still required. I think there is enough wood work for me to cover pretty much everything I do. Especially since it is laser cut... there are a few tricks that are not covered in "die crush" kits like the corsair.

So, again... If you want to rescind your vote and cast it toward the D VI... by all means and we can get her started in the fall.

Attachments

• IMG_2806.JPG
    IMG_2806.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2807.JPG
    IMG_2807.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I think the DVI is just getting to the interesting part - just gluing together the sticks is sort of boring, all the clever design work and tinkering to get clean hardware, scale details, etc. are the interesting parts.

But you should still finish the Corsair too. :)

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Agreed. The details are very fun and on this subject... a real challenge. With the weight from all the ply it will be tough to add things that will not pack on weight too quickly.