2017/2018 Balsa Build Along!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
It's almost that time of year for many of us, "building season"! Last year we had a fun and successful time introducing many people to the joy of actually building a balsa plane, and we want to re-create that magic for a second year.

Last year we tried to focus most of the building around a specific plane design, to better allow us to help each other through building hurdles and questions. Now that there is more experience with balsa in the forum it's been decided that we expand this build along by encouraging people to choose their own kit/plan/style/etc. Want to build a warbird? Go for it! Need a high-wing trainer? No problem. How about a 1/3 scale scratch-built Spruce Goose? Well, that might be a little over-ambitious. :)

The official kick-off will be November 1. I'm not sure that we'll have an official "end date", but I can update this post as needed.

As with the previous build along, this isn't a contest! It's simply meant to encourage people to get back to the roots of RC by building with balsa. Build threads are HIGHLY encouraged as that's how we can all learn. As build threads are created I'll edit this post with links.

Here are the list of participants as of 10/27/17, 4:00pm CST. Let me know if I've missed anyone!

1. Joker 53150, re-building the Hobbico Extra 300S AWARF - BUILD THREAD
2. Jsknockoff, Herr J-3 Cub with Floats - BUILD THREAD
3. Nhk750, Sig Hog Bipe, BUILD THREAD 1 and BUILD THREAD 2
4. CheapSunglasses, Mountain Models Dandy, BUILD THREAD
5. TexMechsRobot, Brodak DC-3, BUILD THREAD
6. Agentkbl, Mountain Models MercurE Mini, BUILD THREAD
7. N4RF, Mountain Models Lucky ACE, BUILD THREAD?
8. JUSS10, Corben Super Ace, BUILD THREAD
9. Willsonman, mystery build TBD ?
10. Rockyboy, SA Pacemaker, BUILD THREAD
11. Foam Addict, Guillows FW-190 BUILD THREAD

Last edited:

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Im in! Perfect timing for me to start the Sig Hog Bipe kit, Electric conversion build. It's designed as a gas or nitro, but I like electric, so that it will be. Lots of people have done this bipe electric, so it should be an easy one.

Last edited:

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
hmmmm... not sure I will be participating... depends on when I finish the Spacewalker... another balsa build is next on my plate.

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
I'm gonna have to buy a kit if I'm going to participate. I don't have anything in my closet left to build.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
It isn't set to start for another month, so plenty of time to finish the Spacewalker up! My build should be fairly quick as I've got other builds that really need some progress.

I am going to throw in a maybe.... Every time I post a build prior to completion, it takes years to finish! It's my interweb curse!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
If the Cubs can win the World Series and break their curse, you can finish in less than a few years! :)

TexMechsRobot

Ok. I'm in. I just need to figure out what to build.

I want something of substantial size (60" wing or thereabouts) because I like it to feel heavy in the air. I want something that flies scale and not really acrobatic. I'd love to get something from WWII or just after before the jet age kicked in. I want it to be mostly scale but not necessarily competition quality but that means retracts that work (even if aftermarket).

I'm looking at the Dare DC-3 and I love it EXCEPT for the retract issue. Nobody makes scale retracts for the DC-3 at that scale (1:19). The closest I can find is the Great Planes 1:14 and that's just too big and I'm not ready for the Great Planes DC-3 (which I will build one day). I might have the skill to fabricate them but I'm just not sure.

A few questions:

1. Any thoughts on where to get scale electric retracts for a 1:19ish DC-3?
2. Any other kits come to mind for what I'm looking for?

I might just jump on the Sig Hog-Bipe bandwagon though because that looks fun to build and fly (which goes against my entire first paragraph).

Help.

jsknockoff

Mentor
I’ve finally hit the point where I’ve outgrown my flying site and I’ll have to join a local club. I hate club politics and policies, but to fly the giant scale stuff I have slated to build I have to get involved. Soooo, to complete the “flying tests” they require to join I want a solid all around sport plane that also has some class. To fill that role I’ll be building the SIG Citabra. It’ll be an electric conversion, and may possibly be built as a bush style plane.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I'll be eagerly spectating, however... until the FTFC'18 challenges are done. If I do, the local store will be happy.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Ok. I'm in. I just need to figure out what to build.

I want something of substantial size (60" wing or thereabouts) because I like it to feel heavy in the air. I want something that flies scale and not really acrobatic. I'd love to get something from WWII or just after before the jet age kicked in. I want it to be mostly scale but not necessarily competition quality but that means retracts that work (even if aftermarket).

I'm looking at the Dare DC-3 and I love it EXCEPT for the retract issue. Nobody makes scale retracts for the DC-3 at that scale (1:19). The closest I can find is the Great Planes 1:14 and that's just too big and I'm not ready for the Great Planes DC-3 (which I will build one day). I might have the skill to fabricate them but I'm just not sure.

A few questions:

1. Any thoughts on where to get scale electric retracts for a 1:19ish DC-3?
2. Any other kits come to mind for what I'm looking for?

I might just jump on the Sig Hog-Bipe bandwagon though because that looks fun to build and fly (which goes against my entire first paragraph).

Help.

I recently sold one of the Great Planes DC-3 kits, and it looked like a real project! Some day I'll build a DC-3, but at this point I'd want to go bigger with one. For the gear, you could always go with a fixed gear setup, or another option is to go with a non-scale design that would let you use a more common electric retract. Not great suggestions, but other than custom-building them yourself the choices may be limited.

If you go with the Hog-Bipe I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I've got the original Astro-Hog low-wing and it's a great flying plane. Mine is set up with a 5 cell 5,000mAh pack, although you may want a little more punch with the bipe version due to all the extra drag.

abieex

Mentor
Count me in for this building season! I've seen several kits but I need to figure out how to convert to electric. My choice so far is a clipped wing cub.I'm currently working on a magnetic table and will start the fixtures tomorrow.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'm in!!

With indoor flying season coming up for me, I'm going small with this next balsa build. (Plus I've got a monster FW-42 to figure out over the winter so the big workbench will be full for a while).

So I'll be doing last years x-mas present from my lovely family - a Stevens Aeromodel Pacemaker

Pacemaker_450.jpg

Link to build thread coming soon(ish).

jsknockoff

Mentor
Count me in for this building season! I've seen several kits but I need to figure out how to convert to electric. My choice so far is a clipped wing cub.I'm currently working on a magnetic table and will start the fixtures tomorrow.

I almost went with a Cub too! Decisions, decisions...

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Would balsa free flight count? I have three guillows kits coming in the next few days, so those seem like a natural starting point :)

TexMechsRobot

I'm in with the DARE DC-3. I'm going to decide later on retracts or not once the kit arrives.

I'll post a build thread once some of the pieces start arriving.