250 fpv

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Ok, seriously, it will depend on how tolerant you are of noise, how clean the environment is and the antennas you use. It's a 25mW TX . . . and mot people start at 200mW and stick around at 600mW. That's a lot of range lost and not a lot of tolerance for trees, but not entirely worthless.

I would expect, however, 2600' of usable range is optimistic.

Bobo

I'm still really confused on what the license is. Is it just a small plastic card or is it some technology. as craftydan has said it increases your range. Could clear this up I'm really confused

jipp

you basically get put into a data base with your name, address and it seems the test is 15.00 and the study book is under 40.00 however, im sure there are free online sources.. i just prefer books so that is the way i would go. so people can find you if they have a problem. and can help you, fix it. as dan said. or just send the ham cops after you. from what dan said, if you have to flash your ham nick name to the camera before you fly, others will know who is on that Chanel by that info you flashed.

i dunno, i would recommend if you are really interested to go read some of the links i posted. it explains it much better than i can.. as im not going down that direction as of now. so no point learning anymore than i have to about it for now.
chris.

chris.

Bobo

Is the ham test an online test or do I have to go somewhere. I might take it if it is the online

joshuabardwell

Mentor
Is the predator v2 fcc certified and if so about how much range will I get.

The transmitter is the thing that must be "certified" or not. You don't need a license to operate the receiver (the goggles). The transmitter that comes with the Predator v2 bundle is not FCC certified, and you do need an Amateur license to operate it legally.

It's a 25mW TX . . .

The FCC test documentation for the FatShark FCC Certified transmitter says it outputs 0.37 mW. As near as I can tell, the unlicensed limit for an analog (i.e. non-spread-spectrum) transmitter in 5.8 GHz ISM is 0.4 mw. I always used to think the FatShark transmtited at 25 mW until I looked it up. Basically, as near as I can tell, almost nobody should use it, and it's a bit of a crime to sell it for use on RC planes, which will immediately fly out of its range.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
Is the ham test an online test or do I have to go somewhere. I might take it if it is the online

As far as I have found, you have to go to a physical location to take a proctored test. They are scheduled regularly, but it may be a few months before one is available in your area, depending on where you live.

HawkMan

The transmitter is the thing that must be "certified" or not. You don't need a license to operate the receiver (the goggles). The transmitter that comes with the Predator v2 bundle is not FCC certified, and you do need an Amateur license to operate it legally.

The FCC test documentation for the FatShark FCC Certified transmitter says it outputs 0.37 mW. As near as I can tell, the unlicensed limit for an analog (i.e. non-spread-spectrum) transmitter in 5.8 GHz ISM is 0.4 mw. I always used to think the FatShark transmtited at 25 mW until I looked it up. Basically, as near as I can tell, almost nobody should use it, and it's a bit of a crime to sell it for use on RC planes, which will immediately fly out of its range.

I thought the 25mw version was only sold in the european packages as they are EC accepted, all the other video transmitters are technically illegal in all of EU I think.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Goggles no. never. it's no different than a TV, just smaller and more specialized.

The Video Transmitter (VTx) on the airframe . . . maybe. depends on it's power output, but the low power VTX's are uncomfortably short range.

jipp

Goggles no. never. it's no different than a TV, just smaller and more specialized.

The Video Transmitter (VTx) on the airframe . . . maybe. depends on it's power output, but the low power VTX's are uncomfortably short range.

would you say the 200 is for a park and about it.

also on RC review he posted a link to a company over the pond that is building a turn key antenna that will give the guys over there who have no choice if they want to be legal to get great range..

here is the antenna thing i was talking about. probably gonna be expensive. iv not watched the video just going off what Bruce said from team nana. go team nana!

will watch now. :D

chris.

Last edited:

jipp

at 6:10 mins he talks about the the 25mw law over the pond. and how it opens the door for them.
) pretty cool one of the guys working on it worked on the frsky taranis project, much respect to him )

cheers to the guys over the pond, hope this helps you guys and comes to market and a reasonable price.. but if its like the goggles, who knows.
maybe only for the well off, or maybe worth eating cup a noodles for ay ear, hah, wait i already do :p
chris.

well at the end he mentions price.. 175quid, or 160 i think if you help with the kickstart program.
looks like a nice piece of gear, and at that price not to expensive considering what it does.

also at 8:10 anyone know what kind of TX that is.. looks pretty high tech.

Last edited:

joshuabardwell

Mentor
would you say the 200 is for a park and about it.

I get a little over 400 meters on my 250 mW FatShark vTX, with cloverleaf antennas on both TX and RX. I could go further if I was willing to push the bounds of signal break-up, but I tend to be a bit conservative. The problem is that I will have fine signal when flying straight and level, and then when I bank over to do the turn back to home, the signal breaks up substantially because I am entering the null at the top of the antenna pattern. So I don't want to risk having an unexpected dropout and I come back. 600 mW should give about 40% more range than 250 mW, all else being equal, just based on the inverse square law.

Without specialized equipment, such as high-gain antennas, 5.8 GHz is not going to be good for long-distance stuff. Even with specialized equipment, long-distance flight is much better off using lower frequencies. However, this comes with its own set of problems, such as increased interference on the control frequency, larger antennas, heavier equipment, and so forth.

Ocean

It really depends I think. Me and my friends can only go around 150m before signal breaks up too bad to fly, we both use 200mW. But then again we live in a city so the noise floor is probably very high.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
It really depends I think. Me and my friends can only go around 150m before signal breaks up too bad to fly, we both use 200mW. But then again we live in a city so the noise floor is probably very high.

Is that clear line of sight, or with obstructions? My experience has been that noise floor in 5.8 GHz is usually pretty low, but with the increased proliferation of 5 GHz WiFi devices, that may be changing.

Ocean

Is that clear line of sight, or with obstructions? My experience has been that noise floor in 5.8 GHz is usually pretty low, but with the increased proliferation of 5 GHz WiFi devices, that may be changing.

That's clear line of sight in a field, albeit in the suburbs of London. There are 2 of us so there could a small bit of interference, our antennas are poor quality so this is another reason for the low range.