3 spectrum transmitters, 3 different receivers, 3 different plane, all lost signal

Chuck

We have a problem that we need some help with, me and a few friends were flying in a neighborhood that is being built, we were flying 3 different planes, 1 lemon receiver, 1 ar6210 receiver, 1 orange receiver. Radios are 1 dx5e, 2 dx6. Both of the dx6 planes crashed because they both lost signal, we checked the receivers and they weren't showing a brown out condition, my plane was fine. I flew this morning at a local school and lost signal, lucky for me I didn't loose my plane, my buddies weren't so lucky. I checked my receiver and the light was flashing, Im guessing a brownout. What is going on? Can 2.4ghz wifi from local neighborhoods and a school cause a jamming issue? Has anyone had an issue like this. We had this problem last year and we all upgraded transmitters and haven't had an issue until now.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Yes - other transmitters on 2,4 or other frequencies can block yours.
Receiver antenna placing can cause loss of signal - always do a range check - have the RX fixed in position and the antennas taped.

HawkMan

If it's being built they might have some construction equipment that links up using powerful 2.4 signals or something that would jam the frequency for others, maybe...

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
I fly at a football field that has very close houses and found that if I fly anything but my duet i will loose control and found out there is a baby monitor nearby that is blanking my signal. Why it doesn't do it with the duet is a mystery.

Chuck

Chuck - did the lemon receiver ever have a brown out or loss of signal?

No the lemon receiver wasn't blinking when we checked it, nor was the orange. Only the AR6210 was blinking, but that was my plane at a different field

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
This is so obviously the work of the Drone Hunter....
DavidTheDroneHunter-530x307.png

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
The drone hunter is to blame.
Haha..

~

Signal loss is very unpredictable, but for about $200 you can get an RF monitor that will allow you to see in live view whats transmitting and see what frequency said transmit ions are on. This is helpful for FPV to find a clear channel, or anything else. You could use this to see if there are any powerful bursts on 2.4gHz that are going off, but the only way that something could block out a receiver signal completely is if the transmission covered up the entire switching range of the DSM2/X receivers, or at least a large part of it.

:)
It could be that the switching agenda for the two DX6 TXs lined up for just a second. I would recommend a rebind for either of the DX6s but while the other DX6 and the 5e were on and transmitting (moving the sticks). This would make the first DX6 find a good range on the frequency for its large bandwidth switching/transmiting (I'm not sure that the radios and receivers actually search for a open range for the switching, but they definitely synchronize the order of frequencies that they do switch on.) If all else fails, rebind, check range and don't cry if it crashes again.

:)

Chuck

I appreciate everyones input and ideas, we are going to try them all, its disheartening to loose 2 expensive planes. But its a hobby. Rebuild and fly another day.

SOOFLY

I've read that 2.4ghz produces the strongest signal when the antennas are at right angles. Your transmitter antenna folds to 90 degrees so make sure its not sticking straight up. I had always thought they only made the antenna fold for storage, but i think its actually to produce a better signal. Hopefully someone that knows more about this will chime in.

David (Drone Hunter) better not shoot my plane down...

Last edited:

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Some places also install WiFi inhibitors nowadays, like cinema theatres, hospitals, prisons, etc., and that can cancel out your signal too. Another thing that can cause problems is to have your Rx antennas too close to a powerful EM emitter on the actual plane, like the ESC or the main power lines from the battery, and has often been a nightmare for many multirotor flyers to solve... check it's not something like that also.

HawkMan

Well the antenna makes just as strong a signal if it's "flat", but then you get horizontal polarization or whatever, anyway, since signals expand n a ring or donut from the antenna mostly, that's very bad position to send a signal to a model that will most be somewhat in front of you. So having the antenna vertical will send the signal all around you except straight up and down :) its a lot more complicated than that but that's the simple explanation from a guy that's not an expert but know a little :p

rcflyer729

fpv and rc planes
dsm2 will brown out all the time especially with other people flying you have to use dsmx it is way better