FT EZ ID app inaccurate flight logs?

FlyBreakFixFly

Okay, I feel ignorant and need some edumacation. My EZ ID showed up today and powered on. It connected with the FT app (Android on a Galaxy S22) just fine. That's when the issue arose. The flight logs weren't showing anything near what I was expecting.

To test it, I slapped it into a 2S monster truck at home. It has yet to be tried in a plane. The thinking was to check to see if duration and speed were in the ballpark. Nope. Duration was only a few seconds and speed was 1 mph. I tried a few times and a few different things such as leaving the screen on with the FT app pulled up and disconnecting from any wifi signal while leaving wifi on. Same result.

There has to be something simple I'm overlooking. Please edumacate me!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I am assuming you are testing outdoors with a clear view of the sky and the GPS antenna pointed up.

I have used mine in the air, and it is "close enough". It has flown on a FT Timy Trainer, and a foamy Glider so far. No speed runs. Range is 800-ish feet.

Recording starts after yoou have obtained a green status light and you connect to it with the app up until you save the flight. App should be running the whole flight. The App is doing the recording, not the EZID

LB

DaveM

CEO Flite Test
Okay, I feel ignorant and need some edumacation. My EZ ID showed up today and powered on. It connected with the FT app (Android on a Galaxy S22) just fine. That's when the issue arose. The flight logs weren't showing anything near what I was expecting.

To test it, I slapped it into a 2S monster truck at home. It has yet to be tried in a plane. The thinking was to check to see if duration and speed were in the ballpark. Nope. Duration was only a few seconds and speed was 1 mph. I tried a few times and a few different things such as leaving the screen on with the FT app pulled up and disconnecting from any wifi signal while leaving wifi on. Same result.

There has to be something simple I'm overlooking. Please edumacate me!
The number of satellite connected makes a difference. The GPS module in the FT EZ ID has accuracy that is better than the FAA requirement which is 150 feet horizontal and vertical. How long did you let the FT EZ ID see the sky before testing? And, you may have noticed that the FT EZ ID gets lock more quickly once it has established lock. That’s because it has a battery saving the cold start data.
can you be a little more specific on what you expected.

FlyBreakFixFly

Thank you both, your replies definitely spurred some more analysis.

Thinking about it a little more, the module wasn't secured down. That would definitely have an effect. Time to whip up a case and secure it down with the GPS facing up to repeat the test.

That brings up another potential issue: not all my planes have space to mount the module horizontally. Hmm. I'll have to test that more to see if it has an effect.

FlyBreakFixFly

Ugh. The app won't connect to it. Thankfully it shows up on DroneScanner. Interesting is that it seems to go idle if it doesn't sense movement. I wish there was another video about what to expect with the app.

FlyBreakFixFly

Did more testing. With the balance connector lead hooked in, the unit broadcasts every two minutes. Not sure if it's supposed to do that or not. I'll try next with a receiver lead that supplies about 5v.

FlyBreakFixFly

The FT EZ ID broadcasts twice a second. The FAA requirement is once a second so we do led that.

Thank you for the reply!

I was using DroneTag's Drone Scanner app and the FT app. It wasn't showing up at all on the FT app. Sounds like I should reach out for more individualized troubleshooting and update this thread once there's a better resolution.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I get once a second from the FT EZID and 10 per second with a DroneTag BS. The FT APP and the Drone Scanner apps have sporadic reading compared to the OpenDroneID and DroneTag apps on my android phone and tablet.

LB
IMG_20240319_124447268.jpg

(DroneTag BS borrowed from @Captain Video )