375% Colossal Nutball

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
So, I was planning on building a Giant Santas Sleigh for Christmas, but the print shop I was trying to use couldn't get me the laminated graphics in time. So I took the parts I had available and built a 72" Nutball for New Years instead. :cool:

Specs:

72" Wingspan
1" Owens Corning XPS Foamboard from Home Depot - 2x 4'x8' Sheets
Hobbyking Donkey ST4010-820kv Motors x2
Hobbyking 60A Blue ESC x2
5000mah 20-30C 4s batteries x2
4000mah 40c 3s battery for lights and ballast
Master Airscrew 13x6 3 Blade counter rotating props
Corona DS-319MG Servos x2
1/8" Steel Tig welding Rod
5050 Red, Green, and White LED strips
A few cheap carbon fiber arrows
and some 1/4" plywood servo horns I cut on my CNC.

I used a cheapo projector to transfer my plan outlines to the foamboard:
Build1.jpg

Build3.jpg

Did most of the cutting with a slightly dull filet knife. Was going to use the hot wire cutter, but I broke the wire on my first attempt and was in a huge hurry.
Build2.jpg

Cut out servo horns, control rod supports, and the firewalls out of 1/8" plywood on my CNC which I then CA'd together to get 1/4" parts. I haven't cut much wood, and the setting were a little rough, but once again, I only had a day to build this.
Build4.jpg

Embedded carbon fiber arrow:
Build5.jpg

Duct tape is your friend.
Build6.jpg

You can see where the carbon arrows went. I'm going to add a couple more. The gaps on the bent section of the circle were filled with scrap bits of foam, then hot glued into place.
Build7.jpg

Motor pods installed:
Build8.jpg

*********************************************************************************

All ready for the maiden flight:
Build9.jpg

Battle Damage. I had 3 mortars blow all the way through the foamboard. Left nice melted holes in the plane, one on a hinge line lol.
Build10.jpg

Build11.jpg

phacious

That's pretty awesome, did something similar with something loosly based on the bloody wonder last year. Had the family shoot Roman candles at it. What was your build time?

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
That's pretty awesome, did something similar with something loosly based on the bloody wonder last year. Had the family shoot Roman candles at it. What was your build time?

Started cutting parts out around 10am yesterday. Took several breaks and was just barely able to finish by 9:00pm for the fireworks show.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
That's quite a feat imho. I didnt see any gear in the pictures, what did you use?

Paintstick on the tailskid and some very simple packing tape coated skis up front. I didn't get a chance to fly yesterday, it started snowing very heavily. I need to make some floats for it and do some snow takeoffs. Maybe I'll try and fly off the water. :D

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Shock and awe over Baghdad. Good show. Bet it was fun.

It was a lot of fun. Biggest plane I've every flown. I guess the Giant PBY had a wider wingspan, but not nearly the wing area or power available.

I think it's going to be going out to my local RC field as a combat plane. :cool: When it dies, the components will be used on a lighter framed version. I think half inch XPS and more supports will make for a much more aerobatic platform.