A bigger duck?

kalebmbarclay

So I am about to start a build on the FT Sea Duck and in order to cut down on cost I am hoping to use a battery that I had bought for an old project. Its a 5000mah 6 cell. I know that's twice the size of the stuff they suggest but would motors that work in that range be able to fly it?

xMeox

Personally I wouldnd do it, though it might be an interesting project. you would have to strengthen pretty much anything in the duck, but weight shouldndt be a problem with 6s motors.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Be careful!

So I am about to start a build on the FT Sea Duck and in order to cut down on cost I am hoping to use a battery that I had bought for an old project. Its a 5000mah 6 cell. I know that's twice the size of the stuff they suggest but would motors that work in that range be able to fly it?
Fortunately you recognize that your 6S is twice the voltage as the recommended 3S for the C Pack Twin so I assume you know you would need a dfferent motor and an ESC to match. So if you intend to use an appropriately matched motor, ESC, LiPo then you should also consider the prop and the additional forces exerted on the airframe when this is all put into the air.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
I think it is certainly doable. Could be done around a 70" span or so with that size battery. Major changes to the plans would be required though, and the airframe would have to be reinforced. Maybe use some thicker 1/2" foamboard to make fuselage formers, a big CF tube spar, ect. As for saving you money, that is not going to happen. You would have to buy larger 6S electronics and bigger servos that will eat any cost savings you would have accumulated. If you are looking to save money, build the normal version, you can get a new battery pretty cheap from Hobbyking. The big Duck would be a pretty cool project though if decide to pursue that option.