35 MHz to 2.4 GHz FrSky OR Orange conversion

Hi All,

I need some help after having read half the internet for this.

I have a 35 MHz Sanwa RD6000 radio which I've been using to fly my Nitro plane, scratch built electric foamies as well as my Tri- and Quad-copters. While in the planes this works very well, in a multi-rotor it's slightly inconvenient due to the meter long aerial. Even though I managed to make it work without any problems I don't see that being a feasible option for my upcoming Versacopter mini quad project. So, I was looking at alternatives.

There are many posts regarding the use of the FrSky DIY 2.4 GHz module as well as one episode of FT dedicated to the same. In it, David actually figured out a way to keep the functionality of the 72 MHz Futaba radio which I really fancy - I'm doing that with my radio as well as I really don't want to destroy a perfectly good radio.

The dilema I'm having though is whether I should go with FrSky or rather the Orange DIY module. FrSky Module gets great reviews and is slightly cheaper than the Orange module. However the Orange receivers seem to be cheaper, which is definitely a selling point for me.

I don't really need telemetry, or any other fanciness (at least for now) since I'm only flying for fun. I do FPV sometimes but nothing too special - just random flying around the field. Also, normally I fly alone so no other people's systems to worry about. The main thing I need is a system with short aerial. But it would be good if I have the option to upgrade my gear later on if needed (add telemetry or whatever).

So, what say you people - FrSky or Orange?

Many thanks for your time and comments in advance!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
If you plan on keeping your 35MHz tx forever . . . go Orange.

If you plan on picking up a modern TX in the near future . . . Go FrSky.

The orange receivers are cheaper and performance will be roughly the same. In the near term, assuming your old reliable radio does everything you want, building in a DSMX TX module and buying DSMX receivers is a good way to go. Cheap and reliable, and your radio can't make use of the advantages of the other RXs.

In the far term (a year or two) you plan on eventually getting a fancier radio with more programming capabilities and more features, then at that point you'll probably want FrSky RXs in your planes. The FrSky radios are a bit more complicated to use, but far more flexible in programming and the telemetry system is better integrated and MUCH less expensive.

Effectively, Orange is in the lead until you want to replace your radio. If you feel that's far enough off, Orange stays in the lead.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
I would caution that while Orange receivers seem to have settled down to be reasonably reliable, Orange TX modules do not have that reputation. Probably will work ok with orange receivers if that is all you want.

I haven't really tracked issues with the DIY module but the plugin JR module has had a bit of bumpy ride and it was still not quite right as of the (latest?) V1.2 release...although you can get it to work in most cases by forcing it to use DSM2.

One other point is that it is not clear to me that Orange stuff is strictly legal in the US. I'm not sure if it has a FCC certificate. Doesn't stop people using it anyway...but the module I have does not have an FCC ID printed on it.

here's a link that seems to confirm my suspicion.

http://www.sjrc-society.com/radio-equipment-fcc-approval-required/

Well if that makes any difference I'm not in US but in a place (in Europe) where almost no laws exist in regard to FPV as that's vastly unregulated yet.

pressalltheknobs

Well if that makes any difference I'm not in US but in a place (in Europe) where almost no laws exist in regard to FPV as that's vastly unregulated yet.

Ah, Bulgaria. Missed that...The FCC does not matter then :) My Orange module says CE on it but I kind of suspect that's just printing to get passed customs and there is no doc to back it up.

Won't matter to you. FrSky is better imo. I suspect you will get better and more reliable range.

However the DIY DHT module only works with V and D8 series RX and those X series that can bind in D8 mode. V, D8, D16 and D16-EU-LBT are all different incompatible FrSky protocols.

The V and D8 protocols are slowly being phased out. Some of both types of Receiver are still being produced so the emphasis is on "slowly". You are going to be ok for now. The X series RXs support D16 and mostly supports D8 bind mode and should work but the newest one (XSR) only works in D16 mode so you cannot use it.

Also I think the EU compliant X series RXs which use D16-EU-LBT don't support D8 binding...I haven't confirmed that for sure but the X8R RX manual says it doesn't support it. It's easy to flash them to the the "World" firmware with a Taranis or one of the other OpenTX/er9X radios to get D16 & D8 mode but a bit of a pain otherwise. This will limit you somewhat on the selection and availability of receivers.

Since you are probably ordering online you should make sure any X series FrSky RXs you order have "world" firmware (ie not EU) Any EU seller should only have EU flashed X-series Rxs (D16-EU-LBT) unless they have old stock. They may be able to flash X Series to "World" (D8/D16) for you but it may not be strictly legal for them to do so...

Here are links to all the currently available receivers...just FYI...you probably won't order them from here since it's a US site...Aloft only sells "world" X-series.
https://alofthobbies.com/radio-gear/frsky-non-telemetry.html
https://alofthobbies.com/radio-gear/frsky-telemetry-system/d-series-receivers.html
https://alofthobbies.com/radio-gear/frsky-telemetry-system/x-series-receivers.html

So with a DHT DIY module.... V and D series RX's ...or "world" X series RX's that support D8 bind mode...and you are good.

The Orange module used DSMX/DSM2. DSM2 is no longer legal for new sales in the EU...but the only issue for you probably is that the firmware does not bind in DSMX mode to integrated BNFs...I suspect DSM2 mode is never disabled in them though, even in Europe.

Last edited:
Thank you for the time you've taken to paint a real clear picture for me. Choice is easier now. I would be going with the Frsky as I don't plan on changing the whole Tx soon anyway - it does everything I need so that'd be good. And also lots of arguments and information in favour of Frsky. Really appreciate the detail!

Crafty Dan - thank you too just the same! :)

Hi all,

Ok so I got the module. I spent hours on the net trying to figure out how to keep both 35 mhz and 2.4 operations at the flip of a switch without losing any features. I never found exactly the thing I was looking for the faith was generous so I managed to achieve the objective quickly by chance. I wrote up a guide here for others who may be interested in that specific conversion.

Hope that helps somebody.

Best,
T.

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
What bothers me here is the fact that you are using it for Nitro planes... now, everyone keeps praising the Taranis transmitter, but from what I've heard from a LOT of veteran RC pilots is "don't use it on nitros and gassers, it'll fall out of the sky" (just mention "fuel" and "Taranis" in the same sentence in Crash Cast or Angle of Attack and see what anwsers you get!!). So, I would say go with the Orange if you plan to keep flying nitros and gassers every now and again, and if you decide to get a Taranis, keep that for the electrics.

Oh, no no. All bigger electric planes and the nitro will fly on 35 MHz with my original Sanwa receivers or the Orange Synthesized 35 MHz receivers.

The 2.4 is for multi-rotors and smaller electric planes.

T.

pressalltheknobs

What bothers me here is the fact that you are using it for Nitro planes... now, everyone keeps praising the Taranis transmitter, but from what I've heard from a LOT of veteran RC pilots is "don't use it on nitros and gassers, it'll fall out of the sky" (just mention "fuel" and "Taranis" in the same sentence in Crash Cast or Angle of Attack and see what anwsers you get!!). So, I would say go with the Orange if you plan to keep flying nitros and gassers every now and again, and if you decide to get a Taranis, keep that for the electrics.

Interesting...I have never come across that. There seem to be quite a few Taranis owners that fly liquid fuel without problems on the Taranis forums I read.

The only thing I have come across related to that is certain Hi-Tech digital servos have apparent problems (mostly noisy possibly to the point of chattering) with FrSky and that seemed to correlate to using liquid fuel motors. Might just have been that those servos were a popular choice for that kind of plane rather than the liquid fuel motor.

A quick google search didn't turn up anything except the usual, "it's cheap so you can't trust it" sort of thing from way back. Do you have any links?

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
It's mainly from things like, as I said, the old Crash Cast group and the new Angle of Attack groups which are both on Facebook, they have mentioned it on podcasts, have friends at flying fields that have had the same problems, and evidently on RCGroups too. Now there are plenty of people that have had no problems yet, but it's believed by quite a few that it's not a case of if, but rather of when, like in the case of crashing in general.

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
and the "it's cheap so don't trust it" argument isn't the issue, because it's their go to radio for everything else, and for electrics it's trusted more than any other by them...