36" Northern Pike - 3D Printed Cuda Clone (It Flies & STL's are Posted!)

bortek

I printed it in PETG. Why, does it feel heavier than it should be ?

Yeah I thought about ESC being a bit too low when I saw other having 40A on it. But when I put a throttle över 70% the sound motor makes feels like it is running it's full speed. Besides it gets really hot especially on 3 wind prop.

Should I try perhaps a different motor with more thrust and more powerful ESC? Which one could you recommend?

What do you mean by calibrating ESC, min/max throttle, cause that is already done. Or some other calibration you had in mind?

By reflex of elevons (since there are no ailerons on this type of plane :) you mean adjusting both by the same amount during the start ? yes I tried that too by using trims on the radio so they were pointing up to get me more upward pitch but that did not help either. (that was a failed maiden flight). The second failed flight I had elevons straight and full throttle to no avail :(

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I printed it in PETG. Why, does it feel heavier than it should be ?

Yeah I thought about ESC being a bit too low when I saw other having 40A on it. But when I put a throttle över 70% the sound motor makes feels like it is running it's full speed. Besides it gets really hot especially on 3 wind prop.

Should I try perhaps a different motor with more thrust and more powerful ESC? Which one could you recommend?

What do you mean by calibrating ESC, min/max throttle, cause that is already done. Or some other calibration you had in mind?

By reflex of elevons (since there are no ailerons on this type of plane :) you mean adjusting both by the same amount during the start ? yes I tried that too by using trims on the radio so they were pointing up to get me more upward pitch but that did not help either. (that was a failed maiden flight). The second failed flight I had elevons straight and full throttle to no avail :(
It sounds like its running at full speed cause the esc is bottommiing out. so you did the calibration, petg is fine then cause pla is a little too heavy, maybe give lw pla a try with a larger esc.

bortek

You don't mean to reprint the whole thing 😂. I think I will try larger ESC and perhaps see what other motor alternatives are available.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
You don't mean to reprint the whole thing 😂. I think I will try larger ESC and perhaps see what other motor alternatives are available.
reprint the whole thing as a last case scenario. otherwise, try a 3 blade 6042 propeller, as htat is what I use to insane thrust levels on my siimilar motors and a 30a esc.

scxen84

Hello I know this post is way late but I hope someone can answer.
I started to print this model after I saw localfiends post on thingsverse and I downloaded the provided PETG gcode for mk3s+, I started with wing sections 4-7 but the internal structures of the parts always get printed very weak and the layers seem to be skipped. I’m starting to lose my mind as this is my third print already, if someone could answer it would be very very helpful.
Filament: Prusament PETG urban grey

Attachments

• IMG_0569.jpeg
    IMG_0569.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0571.jpeg
    IMG_0571.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0559.jpeg
    IMG_0559.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0566.jpeg
    IMG_0566.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0570.jpeg
    IMG_0570.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

bortek

Despair not! This is a tricky print. I had to use the settings file for the Cura provided by the "author" and also adjust them to my Printer.

Looks like your hanging layers are not fused together in some places. My prints looked similar to yours but not that bad. Some of the smallest internal structures in my prints were weak and even crumbled in a couple of places. But that did not affect the whole part.

Make sure your layer height is max 0.2mm and also test with cooling enabled to 50-80%.