3d Printed & Carbon fiber Quad build

Greystarr

Build Crash, Repeat!!
Hey all,

Newb to the forums but wanted to share my latest project here as it really only come about because of flitetest.
I've been watching the youtube channel for a loooong time and finally got into the hobby in the last year or so.
ive recently got into flying quads and i'm completely hooked!!

I am building a lightweight but durable Frame from easily sourced carbon fibre rods and 3d printed parts.
i love the hobby but crashing being such a part of the process i'm too impatient to wait for parts when i (often) brake something.
i have a 3d printer so it makes sense that if i can put together a frame with some common Carbon fibre parts i can just have a stock of rods and a spool of filament and that covers me for all my frame needs!?!?

The build is still in testing but i have been flying it for the last 2 weeks, making improvements as i crash.

its surprisingly durable in its current form, i crashed it twice last night one was from a significant height with very minor damage. i spent last night improving the part which failed (the flight controller board mount) and i will fly the improved version later.

will upload some flight footage soon.

heres some pics of the build in various stages.
i will post some more up to date pics later as these are from a few weeks ago.

1st (1024x576).jpg DSC_0022 (1024x576).jpg

DSC_0024 (1024x576).jpg DSC_0025 (1024x576).jpg

DSC_0028 (1024x576).jpg DSC_0029 (1024x576).jpg

cheers

Stefan

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I like your idea Stefan. I've been working some ideas in my head for a DIY Gremlin quad and as I go to piece things together on the computer I'll be thinking of areas where I can employ a more outline-type frame like yours.

Greystarr

Build Crash, Repeat!!
Thanks JimCR120

im definitely going to be starting a design based around the emax micro power pack, i saw the diy gremlin and i immediately looked online to order one but they were out of stock everywhere for the moment. i have the smaller stock of carbon rod already so if i can get hold of some decent dimension drawings of the powerpack. mainly the Fc board and motors for mounting i can make a start.

i will open a post of a gremlin once i have made a start on it

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Wow that ought ta be a screamer with them 5051 racecraft's on it. What motors you running? Actually if ya don't mind would you post up all the geek spec's for your build?

Greystarr

Build Crash, Repeat!!
Ok Geek Specs

Frame is combination of pulltruded carbon with 3k carbon arms.
3d printed PETG Fixtures

Flycolor Raptor 390 all in one flight controller (30a esc version) running betaflight
Lhi 2204 2300kv motors
Mostly using Racekraft 5051 props
Tbs unify pro hv vtx
Flysky x6b rx
Runcam swift 2

Greystarr

Build Crash, Repeat!!
Did some more crash testing over the weekend while we have some rare glorious weather in manchester.

I caught an interesting moment on camera when the flight controller saves me while i just sat there thinking what the!!???!!??

DSC_0127-01.jpeg

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Stefan, I have a question. How do you like that RunCam2? I'm thinking of getting that very model even though the newer RunCam3 is out. I think I would prefer the more slender RunCam2. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
"WHAT!" LOL... Phantom wires are just as fun as phantom branches. Looks nice! Kinda like a flying Rock Crawler with a beefy roll cage.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Greystarr

Build Crash, Repeat!!
Stefan, I have a question. How do you like that RunCam2? I'm thinking of getting that very model even though the newer RunCam3 is out. I think I would prefer the more slender RunCam2. What are your thoughts?

I'm happy with the runcam 2, it arrived the week they released the runcam 3 and initially I was thinking I might have preferred to wait for the 3 but after using this now for a little while I'm glad I stuck with it. I do prefer the lower profile and also the removavle battery. I have a spare battery on order as it had died on me at the field recently. I believe that the runcam 3 has a fixed battery.
I would still go with the 2 if I had to choose again. It has the features I'm after and the video quality is still on par.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Thanks. You have helped me make up my mind. Does the camera come with everything I'll likely need or are the options you would recommend? How long does the battery last?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Thinking about doing something similar to this design as a tricopter with small carbon tubes and either 1104 or 1306 motors. Optional prop ducts for indoor flying. Still looking around for a few ideas while I finish off other builds.

I have one of the Runcam2s and like the low profile too. Mine came with everything including cables that you could use for powering off the main lipo or using it for FPV. Have not tried it in FPV mode to see how the lag is yet. Sound is not the best when flying because the mic on the front, but I am more concerned with the image than sound. May play around with a wind sock or baffle on the mic to see if that helps. Think I posted some video on my AWK210 thread a while back from it.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Greystarr

Build Crash, Repeat!!
Yea my next build will be something slightly smaller scale with maybe some 1407 motors.

the runcam sound isnt the cleanest it has to be said. i am going to be printing a slide in mount for it and will try to minimise the wind sounds with that design.
The battery life is ok, not the best. it usually lasts fine for my usual 8-10 packs but it needs to be fully charged. i have had it die on me once in the field so a spare battery is on order! well worth it for the extra £8

Greystarr

Build Crash, Repeat!!
Update............. new version of the frame is in the works !

frame2 (1024x576).jpg

Attachments

• frame2 (1024x576).jpg
    frame2 (1024x576).jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 0

Greystarr

Build Crash, Repeat!!
Re-designed Arms and motor mounts, Lighter and more durable.

Battery now mounts inside frame from underneath to bring C/G inside the footprint of the frame.

DSC_0203 (1024x576).jpg DSC_0200 (1024x576).jpg