3D Printed Hughes P21-J Devastator

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Is there going to be any supports between the wings? or do you think the 3d printing is strong and stable enough to be bounced a bit on landings and higher G maneuvers? It does look amazing. Shame you can't get filament in that burgundy color you have been showing for the design parts I like that color better even though the original colors are more blood redish.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Is there going to be any supports between the wings? or do you think the 3d printing is strong and stable enough to be bounced a bit on landings and higher G maneuvers? It does look amazing. Shame you can't get filament in that burgundy color you have been showing for the design parts I like that color better even though the original colors are more blood redish.

No external supports between the wings. I'm hoping it will be strong enough, that's one of the things I'm going to be tweaking, making sure the wing mounts are tough. If it's not strong enough I have a feeling the failure will be spectacular. :cool:

I'd imagine that there's a translucent Burgundy color out there, you can get filament in just about any color. I only used that color in Fusion because it's easy to see through, which made designing a lot easier.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
At some point on that wishful thinking list will be getting someone to print this or some other fantasy air frame up for me if anything to have as a decoration. My plank skills are non existent so far it seems. Hopefully I can cure that before Flite Fest and get to fly with some of the people here that can actually tolerate my presence hehe. (Unlike Mr. Bixler who had tried to kill me with my own Gremlin last year :p)

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
At some point on that wishful thinking list will be getting someone to print this or some other fantasy air frame up for me if anything to have as a decoration. My plank skills are non existent so far it seems. Hopefully I can cure that before Flite Fest and get to fly with some of the people here that can actually tolerate my presence hehe. (Unlike Mr. Bixler who had tried to kill me with my own Gremlin last year :p)

Sounds like you need a printer. :cool:

I'll probably make a set of STL's for this thing that are just for display purposes once it's all done. Had a lot of people asking for something they can just print out to have as a display piece.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Hey Dale!

Any updates on this bad boy? We have a decent printer to use up at school and I want to get one of these flying before winter starts rolling in.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Hey Dale!

Any updates on this bad boy? We have a decent printer to use up at school and I want to get one of these flying before winter starts rolling in.

I'll start working on it again. I think most of the fuselage reworking is already done. I was trying to print this thing out for flitefest out of polycarbonate and ended up melting the air nozzle on my printing and making a huge mess. Did eventually get polycarbonate figured out though. I've replaced the parts on my printer with higher temp stuff, so I'll get to work on figuring out what I still need to redraw. Let me make sure nothing needs to change on the wings, and I'll start feeding you STL files.

Guzzi

Hi Dale,

I love your design of the Devastator and been following this thread with great interest. Were you able to finish this awesome plane? If you need any help I could assist in Fusion or SolidWorks. I hope to hear from you.

Greetings

Keno

Thanks for this one, X wings fly great and with the canard even better. Looking forward to the STL's