3dPrintLab Spitfire

qwijibo

Just thought I'd share my newest project, the 3D labs Spitfire. Only have the wing done so far.

So far it's been printing great though. Had some warping and bed adhesion issues, but upped the bed temp to 72 and it all went away. I'm not using paint or anything, just pausing the print at specific heights and changing out the filament. I measured wrong as indicated by the thicker white stripe on the outside....but it's not worth re-printing just for that.

It's coming out so nice, I'm going to be terrified to actually fly it! I know they say the glue joints are plenty strong, but it sure makes me nervous.

20170414_201131.jpg

Last edited:

qwijibo

I recently upgraded to a "Prusa i3 mk2". I'm very happy with it, great printer and a nice upgrade from my older Monoprice Mini.

qwijibo

Figured I'd share the progress so far...

Structure is all done, just need to add electronics and hing the control surfaces (just taped on for now). Not gonna paint it or anything, I like seeing the internal structure. I wasn't sure paint would bond well on PLA, so the colors on it now were all done by pausing the print at specific heights and swapping out plastic filament.

20170422_203146-min.jpg

20170422_203124-min.jpg

20170422_203159-min.jpg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Pausing like that does not effect the adhesion of the next layer after the current layer cools while paused? I would think that would make for potential weak points going by the concept in my head how that all works.

BTW that does look really awesome and well designed structurally with the internal ribbing I see. Nice work and good luck with it. I to want to see video for sure.

qwijibo

Well, it "seems" strong, but it's obviously tough for me to say for sure.

I ran some some thin CA where I changed colors, hopefully that will help a little, but there's really only one way to find out. I guess if I end up with a bag full of plastic shards we'll know you were right. :black_eyed:

qwijibo

Just to be clear, I didn't design the 3D model, it's from 3DPRINTLAB.COM

I made a few modifications to the model to suit my needs, then printed it on my 3D printer...but the credit for the original model isn't mine.

qwijibo

Well, I FINALLY got this plane finished and flying, and i couldn't be happier!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuo8GUPCzz8

It's fairly heavy for it's size, but the launch was no problem with very little dip. As long as you keep the speed up it's smooth and predictable. I took it easy on it so far, just some passes and a few rolls and loops.

I took the suggestion of adding 75% expo, so glad I did....it would have been VERY twitchy without it.

Anyway, if anyone else has a 3D printer and is looking for a good project, diffidently give it a try!

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Looks great, did you use the supplied gcode or did you slice it yourself? I actually bought some olive filament to do this, I should really get on it ;)

qwijibo

I sliced it myself using Simplify3D.

I also added pauses to the print so I could swap out filament mid print for the Black/White bands, as well as red nose.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Cool :) I haven't played with Simplify3D yet. I started using the Slic3r Prusa edition, but it chokes on anything that OpenSCAD generates so I switched to Cura.

WBLteen

Mimaki is coming out with a new 3d printer that can print clear filament but it will add pigment as it prints. No painting necessary