4 Metre Glider Scratch Build

What should I build next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jackson T

Elite member
@Jackson T - you are ahead of your time with this one - spectacular does not describe your ambition - I can't wait to see how this pans out! :D

I am building a DLG which is probably too heavy and will be using a new Tx rig which is technically beyond me, but I can't stop - sound familiar! o_O
I just hope I'm not too ambitious. I can't wait to see how it pans out too! Is that transmitter you're talking about the Jumper one? I can't wait to see you fly your DLG's!

Wildthing

Legendary member
I finished the other wing joiner, and it came out at 125 grams.

I glued in some balsa across the fuselage under the wings for the servos. I'll glue in some pieces either side of the servos when they arrive from HobbyKing. Those little cutouts are for the servo wires, and I'll be using these servos.

This thing is MASSIVE!!!

I'll make the hatch next then probably the alignment parts of the wing joining stuff.

Holy crap :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
One thought for a little extra strength would be to weave in some kevlar thread through the ribs (over under over under starting at the root and going to each joint. I saw this done an a beautiful and delicate looking 8' old timer on RC Groups and the wing was able to handle some incredible strain without mid-air collapsing (the guy did fly it through fence posts on occasion - no help there).

Cheap source of thread and good info over here:

https://www.thethreadexchange.com/m...=CTGY&Category_Code=kevlar-thread-information

Jackson T

Elite member
One thought for a little extra strength would be to weave in some kevlar thread through the ribs (over under over under starting at the root and going to each joint. I saw this done an a beautiful and delicate looking 8' old timer on RC Groups and the wing was able to handle some incredible strain without mid-air collapsing (the guy did fly it through fence posts on occasion - no help there).

Cheap source of thread and good info over here:

https://www.thethreadexchange.com/m...=CTGY&Category_Code=kevlar-thread-information
Could you attach a photo? I'm not quite sure what you mean.

bracesport

Legendary member
maybe something like this?

IMG_7038.JPG

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
One thing I have learned in this hobby is, never say never. :)

^^^^ This.

You've got a large wing there. You may not try to pick up speed, but once you have it, you will need to survive it, and that lever arm is literally bigger than you. One sharp up-elevator while you're overspeeding and he cumulative lift force on the wing will be MASSIVE.

Your build means your call, but if the insurance is cheap, consider it carefully.

Jackson T

Elite member
^^^^ This.

You've got a large wing there. You may not try to pick up speed, but once you have it, you will need to survive it, and that lever arm is literally bigger than you. One sharp up-elevator while you're overspeeding and he cumulative lift force on the wing will be MASSIVE.

Your build means your call, but if the insurance is cheap, consider it carefully.
Thanks for the suggestions :). When I designed it, I was so focused on "will it work" that I forgot to estimate the cost. It has definitely gone WAY over my 15 yr old pocket money budget :eek:. When I first thinking about it, I was happy if it ended up with a 2G or less rating, so no turns steeper than 60 degrees. As it is now, it is heaps stronger than it was going to be, and I will make very sure it flies pretty steady anyway. I won't take any risks of steep turns, dives, or anything like that with or without carbon, sheeting, or kevlar. Are there any numbers out there for balsa tension and compression strength so I can make some estimations?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
With a hatch like that you can put a tongue on both ends and just bend her a little to get it to pop in and out. Might need to add a thin plywood reinforcement down the length of the hatch to promote good bending behavior. I've got one old glider I learned this method from, and used it on my Firefeather too.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Thanks for the suggestions :). When I designed it, I was so focused on "will it work" that I forgot to estimate the cost. It has definitely gone WAY over my 15 yr old pocket money budget :eek:. When I first thinking about it, I was happy if it ended up with a 2G or less rating, so no turns steeper than 60 degrees. As it is now, it is heaps stronger than it was going to be, and I will make very sure it flies pretty steady anyway. I won't take any risks of steep turns, dives, or anything like that with or without carbon, sheeting, or kevlar. Are there any numbers out there for balsa tension and compression strength so I can make some estimations?

Yeah . . . cost can sneak up on you, that's an expensive lesson on how a reasonable change in size expands geometrically -- twice as long becomes 8 times the volume . . . but I can think of worse ways to learn that ;)

We do trust your intentions, but the practice of piloting often finds us on the wrong end of the envelope without any intent of ever getting there, and plans in place to never be there . . . but . . . suddenly you're there. As they say, experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, then the lesson afterward. At least RC piloting affords us second chances full-scale never does.

As for estimations . . . I can link you to notional material properties, but even these aren't reliable since balsa's strength varies WILDLY on it's density. This should make some sense: Low density balsa can make fantastically light structures that seem lighter than air, but crumble at the lightest touch, where heavy balsa can make large stout high-stress models that while still light, do not float through the air. Hard to say how much of what you have in your airframe unless you've kept a careful accounting, and as for taking an educated guess . . . In double-checking my answer, I stumbled on a research paper on material properties from back in 2015. Lots of discussion -- if you want to dig into it, expect to learn a lot of good stuff (that you'd learn in a Junior level engineering "strengths of materials" course) to follow what's said -- but the interesting point is in the backmatter (it's always in the backmatter ;) ). The charts at the end show their sample measurements between light and heavy density samples (they spec these around 70-90 and 220-280 kg/m^3), compression stress is over 5 times greater, axial is 2.5 times greater, and shear is nearly 4 times greater in the heavy than the light . . . the point is the failure loads for the wood of any single structural member in your wing depends on something we can only guess at -- it's density . . .

. . . and that's just one member of one material and all before you analyze the structure. There are some "simple" calculations (meaning can be completed on a couple of sheets of paper) of the force distribution of lift on your wing/airfoil of your length at a particular attitude/airspeed . . . but how that distributes into your wing's structure . . . in the real world, that would become a large simulation project, which we're not even prepared to fill the numbers into to run.

So, really long story short . . . no. Not really any simple ways for estimation :(

. . . and as for the hatch, those are good suggestions so far. I can't suggest anything simpler which would be any more effective.

Jackson T

Elite member
Everyone has extra servo arms stashed away. They make good latches. Here's a photo I borrowed.

View attachment 138469
Good idea, I think I'll try this. Do you glue a bit of ply or something on the other side of the balsa for the screw?

With a hatch like that you can put a tongue on both ends and just bend her a little to get it to pop in and out. Might need to add a thin plywood reinforcement down the length of the hatch to promote good bending behavior. I've got one old glider I learned this method from, and used it on my Firefeather too.
So many great ideas! Has the balsa ever snapped from over-bending?

Last edited:

TooJung2Die

Master member
Good idea, I think I'll try this. Do you glue a bit of ply or something on the other side of the balsa for the screw?
Plywood will make the screw hole stronger than balsa alone.
I used magnet to magnet latches to hold the canopy on my Apollo glider. The magnet to magnet bond is very strong. It has only come off once when I flew the airplane into bushes. I got the magnets from a dead brushless motor.

Attachments

• IMG_1199.JPG
    IMG_1199.JPG
    649.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1200.JPG
    IMG_1200.JPG
    668.2 KB · Views: 0

Jackson T

Elite member
Plywood will make the screw hole stronger than balsa alone.
I used magnet to magnet latches to hold the canopy on my Apollo glider. The magnet to magnet bond is very strong. It has only come off once when I flew the airplane into bushes. I got the magnets from a dead brushless motor.
Good idea scavenging a dead brushless motor. I've definitely got one of them! I don't know which latch to do anymore, the servo arm or the magnets. Hopefully I make up my mind soon, they are both such good ideas!