4m Glider on the slope - Tail cam

mjcp

I took my 4m Flyfly DG808s on holiday last week.. because there's one of *THE* best slope soaring sites in the UK about 3 miles down the road from where we were staying :cool:

11870719_10154082663517977_4671053457520957012_n.jpg

Pt 1
https://youtu.be/Wt7ULC2JkEM

Pt2
https://youtu.be/9GDbiCz0Lfc

Fly-by
https://youtu.be/YYxYn4Tc8TI

mjcp

JohnC

Wow,

Can you post some pictures of the camera, and how it's mounted. I'd love to do this with my Radian Pro

mjcp

Camera is an SJ1000

Its simply taped to the T tail and rudder junction with electrical tape.

The cam weighs <100g and there's 750g+ in the nose of this one so only minor trim changes needed!

Inspiration for location came from a YouTube user called Balleka. He flies FS and has some nice videos from the tail location.

mjcp

Last edited:

mjcp

The camera seems kind of big. Do you tape it to the leading edge of the vertical stabiliser?

Yes, the horizontal stab sticks out in front of the tail so the contact points were the tip of the H. Stab near the top of the camera and the leading edge of the tail at the bottom of the camera. That way, the angle of the lens gave the image you see. If it had been lower, the angle would have been that of the tail, if it had been on top of the T tail, it would have needed a much stronger method of attachment... the way I did it, it just needed a couple of tape runs in an "X" pattern and stuck to the tail and aver the top to the H/Stab. The T tail provided lots of support against the air flow.

A friend popped by yesterday with a Go-Pro clone and my cam is a bit thicker but overall, similar in size, but mine is vertically arranged, where the Go-pro and SJ4000 etc are horizontally arranged. Also, mine feels heavier than the others... but then its a 2+ year old design!

mjcp

Last edited:

ScottyWarpNine

Mostly Harmless
How does one buy one of these works of art? I found the Flyfly website, but I'm not sure how (or even if you can) order from them. Do they have regional distributors?

mjcp

How does one buy one of these works of art? I found the Flyfly website, but I'm not sure how (or even if you can) order from them. Do they have regional distributors?

Flyfly sell through Hobby88, here's the link: DG-808s. I bought mine through Gliders UK with Free next day delivery (in the UK)

The DG-808s has to be the cheapest 4m glider out there! they have recently brought out some other 4m birds made with Epoxy/glass as opposed to fibre glass which is what the DG is... but they're a bit more $$.

There's a *very* long thread on RC Groups all about them.

mjcp

ScottyWarpNine

Mostly Harmless
Flyfly sell through Hobby88, here's the link: DG-808s. I bought mine through Gliders UK with Free next day delivery (in the UK)

The DG-808s has to be the cheapest 4m glider out there! they have recently brought out some other 4m birds made with Epoxy/glass as opposed to fibre glass which is what the DG is... but they're a bit more $$.

There's a *very* long thread on RC Groups all about them.

mjcp

Holy Crap, if I'm looking at this right, I could buy a 4m sailplane kit for $170. Quick, somebody tell me a good reason I shouldn't before I open my wallet...

Shipping cost, that's a good one. I wonder if they have any US distributors.