50% Cobra Canard Design

Mini Cobra Canard Design

Hey Everyone,
Thought I'd share a couple pictures of an aircraft I built tonight. I decided to do a 50% version of an original design of mine to flight test it before building the larger one and here it is, the Mini Cobra!

unnamed.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

Didn't get to installing the electronics tonight(going to rob the gear out of a FT Pun Jet), but hopefully they should be installed by the end of the week and then it shouldn't be long after that(weather pending) that it gets flown and we'll know how it behaves then. Initial glide tests seem promising and I'm confident it should fly pretty good actually, the only unknown quantity is the yaw stability of this design with only small vertical fins on the wing tips rather close to the CG, but that will be easy to change if it needs more vertical surface towards the back.

If it turns out that it flies as well as I think it will, I will likely be uploading plans if anyone else would like to build one, either the 50% version or the full size one :cool:

UPDATE:
Flew the Mini Cobra four times, did some experimentation and evaluated it's flight envelope/performance this afternoon. I wasn't feeling very confident about it having good yaw stability with only the little winglets/fins on the wing tips so before the first flight we retro fitted a vertical stab on the fuselage with the intent that we would remove it after we knew it flew and see if it still flew alright. The picture below is a little blurry, but I didn't realized it wasn't in focus out at the field.

DSC_0897.JPG

The first flight was pretty short lived because I had the CG too far back, but after that we moved it as far forward as the battery could go and it flew wonderfully on the second flight. Following the very successful second flight we proceeded to remove the central vertical fin and tried it again and it was apparent that it was not stable without that so after another rough landing we put the vertical fin back on and flew it a fourth time. During the successful flights I made an effort to see how it stalled as well as rolled and it was truly wonderful. It stalls just like a good canard design should(the canard stalls first so the main wing really never stalls) and it has possibly the gentlest stall characteristics of anything I've ever flown. The roll was also amazingly axial which was slightly surprising to me since I placed the wing above the center of thrust, but it was a good surprise none the less.

Now knowing that it needs larger vertical stabilizers than the original design had I intend to redesign those/upsize them and try it again.

Below are the two best videos I have of the test flights the other day. Not great and the clouds made it hard for the camera to focus at times, but it should give you all an idea of how this bird flies. Enjoy!

UPDATE 2:

Two variations of the design flying!

Tri Tail.png

Winglet Tail.png

UPDATE 3:

I took a couple hours today to put together hopefully enough material so people that want to start building this design can have at it!

Mini Cobra Three Fin ISO.png

Mini Cobra Twin Fin ISO.png

I also decided to include everything needed to build the Mini Cobra with either the twin tail setup or the three tail setup since it seems to be pretty much split down the middle as to which one is preferred.

View attachment Mini Cobra Build Manual.pdf

If people would like tiled and or full size PDF's to use as templates I can do those as well but for me personally I find that I prefer to measure it out on a sheet of foam board if I have the dimensions rather than piece together a tiled print and then cut through the paper.

Looking forward to seeing some of these built!

Hopefully when I get a little more time up here, myself and a friend will build a couple of these planes so I can do a good build article.

Happy building! :)

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Cool looking plane. Try to get some flight video of the maiden if you can. Where in Wisconsin are you?

Everything is set up now and the weather is looking good tomorrow so hopefully I'll have good news to report tomorrow evening and possibly some video of it flying :)

20161015_091959.jpeg 20161015_092115.jpeg

Cool looking plane. Try to get some flight video of the maiden if you can. Where in Wisconsin are you?

I'm up in the north west corner of Wisconsin. I live/work in Duluth, MN during the week though. What part of Wisconsin are you in?

RCman50

family, faith, foam, fun!
Sweet design. If all goes well are you gonna have plans available. I'd definitely be interested in building that one.

Sweet design. If all goes well are you gonna have plans available. I'd definitely be interested in building that one.

I will definitely upload some 1:1 templates/plans in PDF form if people want to build one and I'll probably try and do a PDF that has the parts dimensioned so you can measure one out on a sheet of foam board and just cut it out (which is what I did when I made the prototype) rather than printing tiled plans and having to piece that together.

Last edited:
Update on the test flight(s) and how this design flies. Flew the 50% Cobra four times, did some experimentation and evaluated it's flight envelope/performance this afternoon. I wasn't feeling very confident about it having good yaw stability with only the little winglets/fins on the wing tips so before the first flight we retro fitted a vertical stab on the fuselage with the intent that we would remove it after we knew it flew and see if it still flew alright. The picture below is a little blurry, but I didn't realized it wasn't in focus out at the field.

DSC_0897.JPG

The first flight was pretty short lived because I had the CG too far back, but after that we moved it as far forward as the battery could go and it flew wonderfully on the second flight. Following the very successful second flight we proceeded to remove the central vertical fin and tried it again and it was apparent that it was not stable without that so after another rough landing we put the vertical fin back on and flew it a fourth time. During the successful flights I made an effort to see how it stalled as well as rolled and it was truly wonderful. It stalls just like a good canard design should(the canard stalls first so the main wing really never stalls) and it has possibly the gentlest stall characteristics of anything I've ever flown. The roll was also amazingly axial which was slightly surprising to me since I placed the wing above the center of thrust, but it was a good surprise none the less.

Now knowing that it needs larger vertical stabilizers than the original design had I intend to redesign those/upsize them and try it again. I should be able to get better/longer/more video of the second flight posted tomorrow when I get it from my friend who took it, but I do have a very brief clip of it flying by and landing that I took when I was letting my friend give it a go and here that is.

Last edited:
As promised. More video! Sadly the camera was out of focus for a portion of the flight, but all in all it should give you guys an idea of how she flies and it should only get better from here as I tweak the design and get it dialed in in the radio. Enjoy!

The airfoil is just flat on the Mini, but the larger version may get a symmetrical airfoil to keep the canard simple. You can get in some weird situations aerodynamically. It could have a flat bottom wing if someone wanted to do one like that, but I believe it would take a substantial amount of incidence in the canard then for it to fly properly.

Well I've played around with the design a bit and tried to enlarge the winglets/fins as well as move them back enough to make them effective and so far it doesn't look too promising with the forward swept aft wing so what I suspect I will end up doing is a more refined center vertical stabilizer as shown below.

DSC_0902.JPG

The plan right now is to try flying it Friday after I'm done with work and if all goes well then I should be able to get plans and everything ready so that others can enjoy this design as well :)

The weather didn't end up cooperating this weekend so I'm afraid we'll all have to wait and see a little longer whether or not the design modifications were successful.

Finally got a break in the weather(sort of) and had a moment to go out this past Sunday and fly! I tried flying two different variations on the design;

A. Three Vertical Stabilizer Variant

DSC_0936.JPG

B. Enlarged Winglet Only Variant

DSC_0960.JPG

Both flew excellently!

And here's video of both:

And here's just a few stills pulled from the video.

Tri Tail.png

Winglet Tail.png

What do you all think? Do you prefer one stabilizer design over another? When I get a moment I'm going to go ahead and draw up some plans/update my computer models for this bad boy and upload them so you all can build a MiniCobra if you want to! :cool:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I'm up in the north west corner of Wisconsin. I live/work in Duluth, MN during the week though. What part of Wisconsin are you in?

Pretty far South-East of you. Fond du Lac, at the bottom of Lake Winnebago if you know where that is. Think that's close to 6 hours away.

I apologize for the delay everyone... Things have been pretty hectic over here at the moment and I haven't had much time to work on getting you guys plans (also got slightly distracted by some rocket stuff momentarily if you've read my article or have seen my other thread in here then you'll know that's my other passion besides designing aircraft)

However, I took a couple hours today to put together hopefully enough material so people that want to start building this design can have at it!

I also decided to include everything needed to build the Mini Cobra with either the twin tail setup or the three tail setup since it seems to be pretty much split down the middle as to which one is preferred.

Mini Cobra Twin Fin ISO.png Mini Cobra Three Fin ISO.png

I don't have a very good way to do proper plans with the free CAD software I use at home for personal projects, so for the time being this is what I can offer anyone wanting to build a Mini Cobra.

View attachment Mini Cobra Build Manual.pdf

If people would like tiled and or full size PDF's to use as templates I can do those as well but for me personally I find that I prefer to measure it out on a sheet of foam board if I have the dimensions rather than piece together a tiled print and then cut through the paper.

Looking forward to seeing some of these built!

Hopefully when I get a little more time up here, myself and a friend will build a couple of these planes so I can do a good build article.

Happy building :)

Last edited: