72mhz Tx questions/advice.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Basically I tried to get into RC planes about 15 years ago and I still have the Tx I bought back then. It's an Expert brand 72mhz Mode 2 (throttle on the left) 4 channel very basic Tx. There are switches for reversing the channels and NO MIXING. However, since it takes JR brand crystals I'm assuming that the trainer cable is also JR based because it looks like a 3.5mm audio cable inlet. It also has a buddy box/trainer button for switching back and forth. I say the stuff about buddy boxing because the radio will at least be good for that.

I have no idea what to do with this radio. I know that ibcrazy over at Stone Blue LOVES using 72mhz with FPV, but I don't plan on flying FPV any time soon, not sure what the benefits are, and my Tx might be way to basic. It is just a four channel without any mixing capabilities.

I thought about selling it, but I'd rather trade it for something better than my Hobby King 6 channel, but the Expert Tx is actually a downgrade and I probably couldn't trade it for something better. Unless 72mhz are actually desirable.

I do see that Hobby King (and other sites) sell 72mhz receivers. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__6599__corona_synthesized_receiver_6ch_72mhz_v2_.html So I could just buy an Rx or two and use my Expert Tx (I have no idea where the Rx that came with it is). But the only real benefit would be to quickly be able to reverse a channel (compared to my HK) and my Expert is Mode 2 where as my Hobby King is Mode 1 and I want to switch over to Mode 2 because it's a lot more popular.

What do you guys think? Try to use the Expert? Try to sell it? Only use it for now to learn how to use a Mode 2? Or just keep it in the closet?

I also want to add that I'm assuming the 9.6v NiCa? battery in the Tx is trash. So I'd have to spend money on some sort of battery and on the Rx just to use it. It might not be worth putting ANY money into it if I'm just going to buy a better Tx in the future anyway.

RoyBro

Mentor
Isn't there an episode where Josh and David update a 72 MHz radio to 2.4 GHz using the FrSky DHT DIY kit?
Might be something to think about.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Isn't there an episode where Josh and David update a 72 MHz radio to 2.4 GHz using the FrSky DHT DIY kit?
Might be something to think about.

The problem with that is then I end up with an expensive version of this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8338__Hobby_King_2_4Ghz_4Ch_Tx_Rx_V2_Mode_2_.html (The link is to the Hobby King 4 channel Tx for $23.) Except then I'd have a Tx of higher quality, but the functionality is the same, which is VERY limited.

I'm leaning towards keeping the radio and eventually using it for FPV. It would be nice to have a cheap 2.4ghz FPV set up without worrying about interference. And it would be nice to not have to worry about any HAM radio licensing issues with using other frequencies. I'm unsure about what is legal and what isn't. I've heard too much conflicting data in that regard. But I know 2.4ghz is fine in the USA because that's what security systems use, and 72mhz is FM band and they sell those cheap FM transmitters so your iPod works with your car stereo. So there should be nothing illegal about the use of those two frequencies.

Of course that will all cost a bunch of money and I'm not really that interested into getting into FPV yet. (Mostly a budget thing.) So, if anyone is interested in possibly buying the Expert 4 channel 72mhz Tx that I have, feel free to try and convince me to sell it to you. It probably won't take much. I can upload pictures of the Tx and I also found the instruction manual so I can upload pictures of that too if you want.

And if you can't tell, I'm too indecisive for my own good. But I am willing to sell the Tx because it currently does me no good and now I wish I would have just posted it for sale.