76" Tiger Moth Project.

Should I build this electric, gas, or 4c glow?

• Total voters

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I'm going to be picking this project up again soon. I've spent most of the summer selling the house and moving to the new house. Most of my modeling supplies had been packed away as to keep the old house tidy for unexpected showings. All sold and moved in the new house and ready to start building.

I ended up choosing to go with an RCG 20cc gas from HobbyKing (I bought an ASP 1.20 four stroke just in case, though).

RCG20cc.jpg

and the pitts style muffler.

20567.jpg

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I can't wait to hear your review of the RGC gas engine. I've been wondering if they were a quality unit. I still want to try their 15cc engine on my cub. I would love to hear your opinion of the asp four stroke as well.
I'm a bit pleasantly surprised though, I thought you were sold on going electric.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I can't wait to hear your review of the RGC gas engine. I've been wondering if they were a quality unit. I still want to try their 15cc engine on my cub. I would love to hear your opinion of the asp four stroke as well.
I'm a bit pleasantly surprised though, I thought you were sold on going electric.
I decided against electric b/c I have a slightly larger Tiger Moth from Hobby-Lobby that's already set up for electric..it already has an electric motor mount and a built in battery hatch. That way I won't have to hack up this model by trying to cut out a battery hatch or glue in a battery tray.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I got the 20cc in the other day and the pitts muffler from HobbyKing was a little too wide at the header to fit inside the cowl. It's 1-1/16".

D781F57F-9605-4E65-9A33-32B029D5298E-2238-000002D1F2C67CD1.jpg

Jtec makes on that's only 1/2" wide that should fit just fine.

I'll take some more pics this evening of the 20cc and some together with the 1.20 4c for size comparison. The interesting thing is that HK sells this 20cc as the brand being "RCG". On the box it states it's made by "RCGF", who are the Aerovate people. I found a lot more stuff on the webs about this engine if you google RCGF

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Hey, AK, I'm adding side by side comparison photos to the thread you started earlier about HK engines. I thought it might fit better there.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...erience-with-Hobbyking-s-gas-motors-Not-nitro

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Cool I just checked them out. I'm getting excited again, but I'm running out of summer. It's going to be an over the winter project now.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I got the firewall lined out for mounting the engine.

TL7xDlI.jpg

Which will be....

The 1.20 four stroke I recently had converted to electronic ignition.

oUljaGw.jpg

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
did you use a remote to get that selfie so it wouldn't look like a selfie?