76" Tiger Moth Project.

Should I build this electric, gas, or 4c glow?

• Total voters

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Cool thanks. I am going to be adding flaps to my J-Nitro Cub and I think I'm going to use those hinges.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Another snag! The tail feathers are supposed to screw onto the fuselage with two very long hex head screws. This is nice, except those screws aren't in the hardware bag and neither of the screw supply stores in my area have them long enough. It's supposed to be an M3x45mm hex head...they only have M3x35, aghhh! I ended up ordering a pack of 10 for like $4 after shipping. I pulled this off another site, here's what it should look like.

wp0_wp5c93bcfa_05.jpg

wp0_wpb8cd1722_05.jpg

And this is what the tail gear should look like.

wp0_wpc3765465_05.jpg

There's supposed to be a pre-drilled hole in the rudder the gear slides into..not there on mine either.

Here's what I got. I found some very long threaded push rods so I can line everything up to attach the tail wheel.

tailfeathers1.jpg

No pre drilled hole to be found.

tailfeathers2.jpg

I had to measure and put the bend in my tail gear.

tailfeathers3.jpg

Last edited:

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Hole drilled in the rudder thru the hardwood that the control horns screw into and made a small trough so the gear is flush with the rudder.

tailfeathers4.jpg

Time to tidy up and add some more silver covering.

tailfeathers5.jpg

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I want to fly it with only the bottom wing lol. I bet it could go fast with those swept wings.

4c79024b.jpg

649ea3c4.jpg

I had to shim the tail b/c the horizontal stab was sitting low on the left side. Now that's installed and aligned and it's all even with the main bottom wing so far.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Haven't cut it out yet :) I haven't installed them yet cause I'm not sure which servos I'll be using. If I end up going electric I'll use some spare Hextronik servos I got laying around, if I go gas or 4stroke glow I'll likely use metal gear.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
OK, I've started working on the TM again after a break. I had been working on a gas plane I inherited. An older gentleman at our club passed away last year (he had been inthe hobby for over 30 years) and I got a call out of the blue that he wanted me to have a bunch of his RC stuff. He gave me his kit built Sig 4-Star 120 with a G23 on it, as well as bout six engines and a bunch of other stuff. My HHR Panel I use for service calls at work was busting at the seams. Anyway, back to the TM!

I made a stand to make work easier.

9252f282.jpg

And the holes that were pre-drilled to attach the bottom wing to the fuse was way off. This is next on the list.

1b96082d.jpg

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
The four stars are awesome planes. I'm currently recovering mine. You should post some pics of it. Here's my progress.

2012-04-10 04.33.20.jpg

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Here's how I'm going to address the issue: I'm going to insert a dowel rod into the hole and glue in place with wood glue. After the glue dries I'll just drill a hole in the correct location.

5b604586.jpg

Done.

7e4a7455.jpg

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
The four stars are awesome planes. I'm currently recovering mine. You should post some pics of it. Here's my progress.

View attachment 3869
Cool, I flew it once and it was way out of trim after I bound it to my radio. I had to do some work on the throttle arm on the carb b/c it wasn't wanting to idle properly but that's all fixed now. I need to get the ailerons lined up and it'll be good to go. I can't complain since it was an unexpected gift but if I had my druthers I wish it still had it's cheeks. The engine mounting makes it look similar to a Giant Big Stik.

Last edited: