Choosing a first build

TrevorJB

Hey everyone, I recently got into FT's videos so I was happy to see an active forum to go with them. I've had a few 3 channel planes but I just resurrected a really beat up GWS Tiger Moth 4-channel that I'm going to learn some more on.

Anyway, I picked up some foam board so I'm looking to build my first kit, but the only spare motors I have on hand are a couple of Parkzone 15BL's (950kv). In the hopes of a budget build I was hoping to find a plane that was suitable for one of these. I think they came in the Extra 300 which is supposed to weigh around 2 lbs. Is there a DIY plane from FT that would be a good fit? I have my eye on the Mustang but it's about half the weight, so I wasn't sure how it would do with the bigger motor up front.

Any thoughts are appreciated, and I can get some more info on what other parts I have available. I'm just brainstorming at the moment, but really excited to start making my own plane.

Thanks!

OlliePackman

Hey everyone, I recently got into FT's videos so I was happy to see an active forum to go with them. I've had a few 3 channel planes but I just resurrected a really beat up GWS Tiger Moth 4-channel that I'm going to learn some more on.

Anyway, I picked up some foam board so I'm looking to build my first kit, but the only spare motors I have on hand are a couple of Parkzone 15BL's (950kv). In the hopes of a budget build I was hoping to find a plane that was suitable for one of these. I think they came in the Extra 300 which is supposed to weigh around 2 lbs. Is there a DIY plane from FT that would be a good fit? I have my eye on the Mustang but it's about half the weight, so I wasn't sure how it would do with the bigger motor up front.

Any thoughts are appreciated, and I can get some more info on what other parts I have available. I'm just brainstorming at the moment, but really excited to start making my own plane.

Thanks!
Anything will probably handle that size motor, it's only if your underpowrred that you should be worried. What 3 channel planes have you flown because I think the mustang is quite hard to fly with a lower wing.

Yusernaym

The only FT warbird I've built is the p40, which doesn't require much power and can have its cg adjusted very easily. It doesn't fly like a warbird in that it's very stable, not twitchy, and can float like a bush plane. You can get some speed at high throttle on 4s, but it's no lawn dart, and you can fly it relaxed. If that's what you're going for, highly recommended. If you want a more traditional warbird experience, there's the Master Series, but those shouldn't be a first build. I think the regular Spit or Mustang could be good choices if you have some experience with 4-channel, and the P40 would be good if not.

The Fopster

Master member
The original (not Master Series) FT Spitfire is the easiest four channel low wing plane I've ever flown. Keep the throws small at first and it should be straightforward. It's also an easy build and looks great in the air - especially with a simple paint job with a few rattle cans...
IMG_20201004_141151998~3.jpg

Yusernaym

20201008_152125_HDR.jpg

I went a very different route, with a lot less detail, but the P40 also takes well to paint. From what I've gathered so far, it seems like all of Flite Test's simple warbirds are easy to fly, so my suggestion is that you pick whichever you like the look of best.

whackflyer

Master member
Anything will probably handle that size motor, it's only if your underpowrred that you should be worried. What 3 channel planes have you flown because I think the mustang is quite hard to fly with a lower wing.
The original Mustang is easy to fly, enough so that I think someone could learn on it. The master series one would be a different story tho.