80in SkyDonkey Multi-Use Aircraft

FunktheEngineer

I have been a passive FT community member for about a year now. I have built several planes from FT designs and at the beginning of the summer, decided I wanted to try building a C-130. Shortly into the design process, I decided to scale back my ambitions and build a twin engine aircraft instead of trying to integrate four engines for my first multi-engine build. HobbyKing had just released the SkyMule and I decided to scale that up a bit and thus the SkyDonkey was designed.

At first, I wanted to write an article about my build but the more I listen to the Podcasts about article requirements, I decided I throw my experience here on the forum and do a better job documenting for my first article in the future.

Once I decided on a aircraft, I took the pictures posted on HobbyKing and did some quick measurements and scaled the fuselage up about 50%.

20140625_215610.jpg

20140626_204943.jpg

As far as build techniques, I used a bunch of A and B folds, hot glue, and few integral ribs.

20140627_192740.jpg

For the tail, I wanted to keep things easy so instead of trying to hide the servos inside, I just cut them into the top surface of the fuselage.

20140628_101304.jpg

20140628_195822.jpg

One of the things that I wanted to include was some sort of drop door. Having no experience with how this is done, I used a small cabinet hinge and two servos. Technically, I know this is bad form because any down load on the door from whatever I put inside is putting strain directly onto the servo. But until I learn better, this is working well so far.

20140627_224727.jpg

For the wing, I used a scaled-up version of the FT Duster wing. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of the wing before I fully assembled it. The wing itself is 3 pieces of foam board. Along with the standard Duster foam spar, I added two .5" diameter, 60" long carbon rods into the wing - one just inside the leading edge and one tucked as close to the trailing edge as possible.

For the engine mounts, I used shorten versions of the FT swappable power pods. The engines are mounted to a plywood firewall and the esc's are located inside the pod. I added air-scoops to the sides of the pods and put a hole in the back of the pod to increase airflow across the esc.

The electronics gave me problems. It took me a little while to figure out how to get two motors to talk together the right way. My brother-in-law talked to me about incorporating differential thrust but that might come later. The biggest problem I had was matching my motors to esc's. I chose the HobbyKing Donkey ST3007-1100kv motors and I started with a pair of HobbyKing 40A esc's. I don't know if they were bad or what, but I couldn't get the system to initiate. So I replaced the esc's with a pair of HobbyKing Red Brick 50A esc's. Now I could get the system to come on, but the motors might have both come on for a few seconds and then they would stop and rotate back and forth and then nothing. It was very weird and the project stalled a few weeks because I just couldn't figure out what was wrong. I could hook one motor up to a small esc and it would work. Then I could hook up one of the esc's to another motor and it would work. Finally, I decided to try yet a third pair of esc's. For the final try I chose the Birdie 50A brushless esc's. I got everything connected and both motors fired up first shot. For the props, I decided to use opposing 11x7 3-blade Master Airscrew props.

One of the biggest under-designs of the project was the nose landing gear. I started off with a tail wheel assembly from a Horizon Hobby Corsair and I put a bigger wheel on it. When I did some taxi testing, it was way to weak and any time I throttled up, the aircraft just nosed into the ground. So after beefing up the nose gear (probably too far the other way) here is the assembled aircraft.

20140925_213441.jpg

20140827_195949.jpg

I have a GoPro 3 white that I have mounted statically on several planes but I have increasingly been contemplating FPV. In one of my orders to HobbyKing I found an inexpensive pan/tilt gimbal so I added that to the nose of the aircraft. Now, when I assemble the correct FPV gear, I'll have a good platform.

20140925_213449.jpg

I was nervous when I finally was out for the maiden flight. I had started the project in June and it was now September and I really didn't want to crash - which I have a really bad habit of doing. It was a nice day and none of my flying buddies were available so I was in charge of both flying and filming. Here is the result.

http://youtu.be/vX2nj_HFvEk

I was actually very happy with the result. It flies super smooth and didn't require too much trimming. I am really excited to get this aircraft out more and start having some fun with it. The nose gear still needs a little more help. The way I attached it to the foam worked great on the workbench but I will end up adding some wood reinforcements. Also, I have some parachute men in the mail that should be fun to drop from the rear door.

Thanks again for reading and feel free to ask any questions. I look forward to becoming a more active member of the FT community.

Attachments

• 20140627_192112.jpg
    20140627_192112.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
Another C-130 fan
I started one and wanted it scale but ran into so many problems I gave up on scale but went near scale. It has been a head ache from the get go and am now waiting on new electronics as my first set up didn't work. i won't post any thing until I can see if it will fly.

FunktheEngineer

Yeah - the more I thought about it, the more I thought of things that could go wrong. I hope this second electronics package works out for you. But if it doesn't, see about posting questions on the Forum. There are some pretty intelligent people on here who would probably love to help troubleshoot. Good luck and thanks for the comment.