• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

9g servos on Mighty Minis

Hey guys,

I've lately been building some mighty minis since I got the F Pack for Christmas and I was wandering what you all think of using 9g servos on mighty minis? By my research I've found that 5g servos are more expensive than 9 grams. For example, I can get 10 9g's for 13$ on eBay and the cheapest I can find 5g servos is about $3.50. Can someone point me to a link with cheaper 5g servos or what are your suggestions? I'm don't care a lot about them making the plane look a little worse, but is the weight difference really that noticeable?

Vaughn

For my mini mustang and similar planes I use a 9 gram on the elevator, skip the rudder and use 5 grams on the ailerons. For planes with only two servos I use 9grams, Just what works for me.

For my mini mustang and similar planes I use a 9 gram on the elevator, skip the rudder and use 5 grams on the ailerons. For planes with only two servos I use 9grams, Just what works for me.
Sounds great, I'm fixing to try a long ez on the F Pack with a 3s 850. Probably will need the extra strength of the 9g's anyway cuz' it'll be so fast...

Keno

I see no reason you can't use 9 gram servos. Just enlarge the whole for them to fit sometimes you might have to reposition them, instead of standing lay them down. I did have a problem on the mini arrow as the spar was not large enough at the designed position for placement. there I had to do some design modifications. Just use them where you can and if size is problem then you will have to use one that fits.

Sounds great, I'm fixing to try a long ez on the F Pack with a 3s 850. Probably will need the extra strength of the 9g's anyway cuz' it'll be so fast...
You may want to reinforce that single layer wing with a nice spar, the f-pack could literally rip the wings off if you pull any kind of g’s. Oh, and I would scale it up a little, the normal mini-ez with that setup would be a brick and a probably not have enough lift for its weight. Good luck in your speedy mini ez (y).

I've ordered probably 30 or 40 servos there, and have had two duds in all of them. That's an acceptable failure rate for me :)

Thankfully those duds were found on the bench before install, I've never had a servo fail in the air.

Yup, if they are on the bench then all good. I have never had a failure from heads up, bench or air. two would have put me off forever though. just not worth the risk to me. Good luck!

That’s what I just bought... I really like the size of 5g servos but being 15 on a limited budget I usually get whatever’s cheapest.
Just test them on the bench before installing. If there's a dud, it'll not work right out of the box... so if you plug them in and they work fine, you're good to go. Like I said, I've only had 1 or 2 not work out of dozens, so you should be good. Frankly I've had more of the Emax 5g fail than the SG90's.

Just test them on the bench before installing. If there's a dud, it'll not work right out of the box... so if you plug them in and they work fine, you're good to go. Like I said, I've only had 1 or 2 not work out of dozens, so you should be good. Frankly I've had more of the Emax 5g fail than the SG90's.
Yep I’ll check em before I put the plane in the air. I’ve ordered quite a few 9gs from eBay that look just like the ones I ordered now and so far I’ve only had one dud.