9XR Internal Antenna mod

Bolvon72

Mentor
I didn't much like having the OrangeRx antenna poking out the back of the radio so I wanted to use the internal antenna if it would be sufficient. I also, by searching threads on this subject, came across a mod that made this simple, and removable for use of other modules. This was posted previously when I first did the mod.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281154175804?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
so I just did this. (I know it's a hack and slash job but I'm a brute force kind of guy)

View attachment 20047 View attachment 20048 View attachment 20049 View attachment 20050 View attachment 20051

It hooks into the internal antenna through the useless port on the back and I can toss the old antenna in the parts bin. I read a lot of articles about hard wiring the module into the antenna and saw one (I can't find it now) where the modder did something similar to this. It binds fine, now I just need to test it out. I like this better than the hard wire because I can still use a different mod easily later if I decide to go that route. I might just try it with a Turnigy module if I can get my hands on one.

Now, because the 9XR has no range test capability (that I can find) I had to do the walk and look and fly and hope and cringe method of checking.

Today was the final test as I took it up with the Bixler for some altitude. I caught a thermal and, plain white as the Bixler is on the bottom (the plane, not the Josh) I was having difficulty seeing it and had to drop altitude fast. Test confirmed, the internal antenna is suitable for my naked eye flying.

alfpope

Awesome, I've been looking for something like this! I hate having that antenna poke out. I took it off the other day to fit the 9XR into my carrying bag and forgot to put it back on...My poor Nutball took a nose dive not too far away after takeoff :)

Now, because the 9XR has no range test capability (that I can find) I had to do the walk and look and fly and hope and cringe method of checking.

On that transmitter module you just hold down the BIND button after power on to do range check mode.