a couple of noob questions before I pull the go trigger

TannimKyraxx

I just need a couple of details filled in before I place my orders. For my first plane I'm going to go with a FT flyer http://flitetest.com/articles/FT_Flyer_Scratch_build I'm also planning to buy the model c power pack https://store.flitetest.com/power-pack-c-fixed-wing-large/ I am also planning on ordering an orangerx t6 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__28494__OrangeRx_T_SIX_2_4GHz_DSM2_Comp_6CH_Programmable_Transmitter_w_10_Model_Memory_Mode_2_.html along with a few of the 6ch receivers http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__28554__OrangeRx_R615_DSM2_Compatible_6Ch_2_4Ghz_Receiver.html

I still need help picking a battery charger and correct lipos for the motor and transmitter. I'd like a reasonable amount of safe flying time but I don't expect my first few flights to last all that long. Also am I missing anything else?

PhenomPilot

You can get a cheap power setup on ebay to get you started. 2212 1000kv motor 9x4.7 or 10x4.7 prop. 18 to 30 amp esc, 2 9g servos and 3s 1000mah battery. Also, there are $10 lipo chargers but I love my $30 IMAX b6 charger as it can charge everything I need from camera to motorcycle batteries...

Dhiggins

My esc cuts the power once 75% initial voltage is used. I've had no problems with 20 or so flights on different batteries. Is this a reliable means of protecting my battery?

sierra_bravo

batteries answers

I use this charger for all my lipos
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...5A_Charger_Discharger_1_6_Cells_GENUINE_.html
its very nice with a lot of safety features and a lot of leads for different battery plugs but remember to get a power supply if you want to charge it with a wall socket. As for batteries I use
these. As long as you you have your motor, the right size prop, a high enough amp ESV, servos, push rods, RX/TX, battery, and battery charger you should be set just make sure everything will work together.

sam:cool:

ttprigg

The power packs look like they are back in stock- I think that the "large" may be too big for the FT flyer. If it gets too heavy, you need to fly it too fast... That motor set up would be great for the storch a fun airframe...

Last edited:

brettp2004

The storch is a fairly simple plane to fly, however if you've never flown anything I would recommend the FT Flyer. There aren't many planes that are better for learning on than the good ol' FT Flyer. The storch would be a great second plane though... The Storch is also a little trickier of a build. Not hard, just tricky.

lazermule

I "relearned" on an FT Flyer, and I'd highly recommend it. I wasn't all that good when I flew years ago either, but the FT Flyer made me a very good pilot. It's a great way to go, and it'll do some crazy stuff if you add some ailerons to it down the road as you get better and want to learn to fly some bank and yank. Don't be afraid to just jump in with both feet and fly it. I was always a little reserved and afraid of crashing and that's what was holding me back.

Have fun!

LM

PhenomPilot

The flyer is definitely a better trainer, an easier build and a better crasher. If you are ordering from hobbyking you can get the 2210N 1000kv motor and 9x5 props for 3s or 10x4.5 on 2s. 2s 500-850mah batteries work great for learning (and also fit in the tx). It keeps it slow with the possibility of loops on high rates. With 3s 1000mah it gets pretty quick and will give you unlimited vertical climb.
The mini power package A will also work on the ft flyer but you will have to keep the flyer build light.
A lipo alarm is also a good purchase as I use it on anything larger than my flyer. The orange6ch tx does have a timer, so make sure to use the timer if you don't end up using the alarm.

PhenomPilot

There are three main ways that I can think of to keep props on.
1.Motors with threaded shafts like most quadcopter motors have nuts that come with them to hold the prop on.
2. Prop savers tighten down on the smooth shaft then you band the prop on with an o-ring, rubber band or slices of surgical tubing.
3. Prop collet, probably the most common way, slides over the shaft. After the prop is put on the collet shaft, the cone nut tightened down on the prop also tightens the collet to the shaft.
Most electric props also come with adapters because the shaft sizes of collets and adapters vary.
You can see the collets and prop savers on hobbyking under hardware, spinner/adapter, adapters. You need to know what shaft size the motor is before you can order. Alot of the smaller park size motors use 3mm and 3.17 size shafts. Doesn't hurt to have a couple of each since they are cheap. A prop saver starting out can save you money on props but will save you more in bent motor shafts.

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
TO the OP...

Go with the FT Flyer over the Storch.

You are going to crash. It's a fact. When you do, it's a lot faster and less painful to rebuild the FT Flyer than it will be the storch.

My .02.

Christopher14

Driftin' with the wind...
A 3s 500mAh works very well on a the FT Flyer. With a 1300kv Blue Wonder motor and a 8x4 prop it will have plenty of power.