Solved A full page of Spammers this morning.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Agreed. I had over 300 spam accounts that the filter caught that I had to go through and delete when I checked a couple days ago. They've certainly ramped up the spam attacks.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Agreed. I had over 300 spam accounts that the filter caught that I had to go through and delete when I checked a couple days ago. They've certainly ramped up the spam attacks.
Maybe adding an RC related question into the account sign up process could swap spammers. It doesn’t have to be hard, just something you could google in a minute. Other forums ask how many wires a brushless motor has for example.

tamuct01

As Ryan O. mentioned, is there some way to restrict who is creating accounts? This morning I saw several new members spamming all over the forums. Surely some review questions coupled with admin approval for new accounts should be good. How about valid email account verification? It's been so long since I joined that I'm not sure what's currently in place to validate new users.

Intashu

Elite member
As Ryan O. mentioned, is there some way to restrict who is creating accounts? This morning I saw several new members spamming all over the forums. Surely some review questions coupled with admin approval for new accounts should be good. How about valid email account verification? It's been so long since I joined that I'm not sure what's currently in place to validate new users.
I'm unsure what the forum admin controls look like but the few I've seen used before that were somewhat effective are restricting new accounts to not be able to post new threads unless they're over a certain age, and/or have made a set number of comments. At minimum restricting how often new accounts can post to something to like once a day till they've met some metrics as a form of verification they're not spam/bot.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
The SPAM attacks have skyrocketed, even since this thread was started.

When I checked today, there was over 700 posts in the quarantine queue to be checked. Over 500 of them were between two spam accounts.

That has still left me with about 200 to go through. So far only two of them have been actual members that got caught in the filter.

Good news, Robert is looking into it now.

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

Indeed, there was a larger than usual uptick in SPAM registration attempts (in just two days twice the amount of the previous month), the system was able to catch about 98% of them. We do require email account verification, we also use several third party services to help with detection and other tools to block bots and scripts. We are looking to add a few more tools to the arsenal soon. Thank you everyone for reporting, and special thanks to the moderators for their hard work! :)