Combat Wing III for FF24

Pieliker96

Elite member
1716759739631.jpeg

Well it would be done now if it had the TWR. I got up to 6100g on some mostly charged batts, but the weight increase from the center section puts the TWR at just 1.28. It's time to go tri-motor, methinks

Zephyr1

Elite member
I love what you've been doing with the combat wings @Pieliker96, and I've been inspired to do my own combat wing. While not as advanced or with as many engines, I've fiberglassed an FT Versa and plan to send it up against you.

Pieliker96

Elite member
I love what you've been doing with the combat wings @Pieliker96, and I've been inspired to do my own combat wing. While not as advanced or with as many engines, I've fiberglassed an FT Versa and plan to send it up against you.
Fiberglassing has always been an end goal for my combat wing ideas - just so tough and durable, not chewy like foamboard. I just haven't really had the composites experience to execute up until recently - maybe next year. Look forwards to seeing your wing in combat!

Zephyr1

Elite member
I've been learning a lot about how composites are manufactured at work and ended up just buying stuff from Walmart (for auto repair) and sacrificing an FT Versa. With the foam models I think it's better to learn by doing and make mistakes.

I hope your beast survives long enough to meet mine in glorious combat!
37afc947-f890-4447-922f-99ab5b1221e3_text.gif

Pieliker96

Elite member
Maiden flight was good. Launching was a bit of a challenge, I ended up with full-down elevator and rolling out of an inverted pull to get flying - should be fixable with some trim to the center fixed elevon and maybe thrustline. It felt nice and stable in the air and sounded really really mean - the presence it has in the sky is just immense. Endurance seems to be on-target with half the battery gone in around 10 mins of total flying time.

Next up is the snag and drop system.

Piotrsko

Master member
Methinks you'll end up being the alternate unofficial designated target. Should be interesting. How tough are the props? Will an impact do anything?