A simple V tail, SimpliciV

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
I made a V tail DTFB Plane, just to do it. This is a very simple build which uses less than one sheet of foam. It is a two break under cambered wing. The gear is pretty cheap. It is light and bounces around a lot on choppy air. The plane is very aerobatic and responsive. Fun to play with. I used a three channel receiver so I used elevon mixing instead of V tail mixing because V tail requires the 4th channel for rudder.

Here is a 3 flight video compilation.
http://youtu.be/Xf86dPq84Ek

30" Wing Span
7 3/4" Wing Chord
26" Fuselage
10g 2000kv Hextronic
6 amp HK ESC
6x3 Prop
350-500mah 2S
3 Channel reciever
3.6g HK Servo X 2

Here are the plans just incase someone wants to play. Use the snapshot tool and frame the parts as tight as you can. Print Poster at 100%. The plans will print on 8 (2x4) or 9 (3x3) sheets of paper and fit on one piece of DTFB. If you have any questions, let me know. If you build and fly one, let us know.

Attachments

• SimpliciV.JPG
    SimpliciV.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 26
  • SimpliciV One Sheet Plans.pdf
    21.3 KB · Views: 28

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Yep. The meet the wing at a 45 degree angle as the fuse is V and the wing is horizontal. You can form the under camber wing on the table by supporting the center section on 2 one inch strips of foam stacked up. Then bring the LE and TE down to the table. I like to fold the breaks backwards and put glue in them before I form the wing. Then wipe off the excess glue.

Hope that did not make it more confusing.

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
I put a lighter 7x5 prop on it and it had plenty of thrust. With the 350mah battery I am getting 5 1/2 - 6 minute flights. That takes the battery down to 3.7 per cell. Most of my cruising was done at 3/4 throttle. Floats along at half and climbs easy at full.

I am going to build another one with a higher aspect ratio wing and see what kind of soaring I can get out of it.

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Mind the score cuts at the center of the fuse. It is offset 3/16" for the "A" / "B" (depending on perspective) fold.

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Sometimes the simplest of projects are the ones that give the greatest satisfaction, and I'd dare say this is both simple and satisfying!! I have always been a zealot of V-tails, and in this case it is simpler than the typical elevator and rudder setup, a it is just an extension of the fuselage, but at the same time, that right angle fuselage base, although simple, is probably a very sturdy design, and of course, not forgetting how light it must be with just 2 sides... like a profile plane in that aspect.

Congratulations on your build!!

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Birds fly with V tails. Why shouldn't we? Kudos to you. I'm working on one too but more of a Wild Hawk frame.

dgrigor02

Built with LEDs for night flying. Power Pack A with1000mah. I tried CG right between two wing creases. It wanted to go straight up so either need to move the cg more forward or needs down thrust for my motor. Will try again with cg on the first wing crease.

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Built with LEDs for night flying. Power Pack A with1000mah. I tried CG right between two wing creases. It wanted to go straight up so either need to move the cg more forward or needs down thrust for my motor. Will try again with cg on the first wing crease.

I checked out the specs and it looks like your power set up is about twice the thrust as mine.

The LED's would look cool. I still have not put LED's in anything. One of these days.

You can also save a little weight at the tail by trimming down the control surfaces. Chop off the taper and make the rudders/elevators a straight 1".

Again, good luck. I hope you get it sorted.