A Word Of Caution...

Liam B

Hey guys,

So I've been complaining in a lot of different corners about a product... well OK, maybe not COMPLAINING but giving fair warning...

Some of the racer friends of mine and myself included have been having issues with Aikon ESCs, particularly the 20x20 size. They've been great for most of us for years now, but recently they've become inferno machines. They burst into flames randomly and cause extremely hot motors in BetaFlight. I think about 3 builds with these speed controllers have gone up in the past month. It also doesn't seem to matter if it's the version with a heatsink or not; both will burn up unexpectedly and sometimes in flight.

We've also been having the same problem with the Pyro32 30x30 (made by AirBot...? I've had terrible luck with all AirBot products. R.I.P. ocean quad :( ), and the Talon Gigawatt (by HeliNation, great company) and Pyro32 (by PyroDrone, also amazing), as these are near-identical copies of the Aikon.

Personally, I am switching to HobbyWing (not sponsored, yet...) 20x20. Seems solid for Mr. Vanover and a lot of other racers/freestylers.

So plan carefully when doing your next build!

"Corpse"

Legendary member
Hey guys,

So I've been complaining in a lot of different corners about a product... well OK, maybe not COMPLAINING but giving fair warning...

Some of the racer friends of mine and myself included have been having issues with Aikon ESCs, particularly the 20x20 size. They've been great for most of us for years now, but recently they've become inferno machines. They burst into flames randomly and cause extremely hot motors in BetaFlight. I think about 3 builds with these speed controllers have gone up in the past month. It also doesn't seem to matter if it's the version with a heatsink or not; both will burn up unexpectedly and sometimes in flight.

We've also been having the same problem with the Pyro32 30x30 (made by AirBot...? I've had terrible luck with all AirBot products. R.I.P. ocean quad :( ), and the Talon Gigawatt (by HeliNation, great company) and Pyro32 (by PyroDrone, also amazing), as these are near-identical copies of the Aikon.

Personally, I am switching to HobbyWing (not sponsored, yet...) 20x20. Seems solid for Mr. Vanover and a lot of other racers/freestylers.

So plan carefully when doing your next build!
Thanks for the warning!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I been loving the DAL 722 fc with the Rocket 45 esc's ZERO problems and super smooth and cool running the 2307 Catalyst Machine works V2 Cabby Chavez motors on 5s pushing Dal 5x4.6x3 Cyclones.

Ripped some packs back in July in 95 degree plus temps full on speed runs depleting 1300 mah 100c pack in under a minute and a half with everything coming down cool to the touch. I think the Video stuff was hotter then the FC / esc combo after those flights.

This is only between half and three quarter throttle runs on a short track with hard switch back turns where constant power thru turns is needed. Its even better then this now its fully tuned and rates nearly dialed in.

P.S> keep in mind I dont stress my packs ahrd and come back a lot earlier then if in a real race. Could probably push like that another 30 seconds or more on that size pack.

Liam B

I been loving the DAL 722 fc with the Rocket 45 esc's ZERO problems and super smooth and cool running the 2307 Catalyst Machine works V2 Cabby Chavez motors on 5s pushing Dal 5x4.6x3 Cyclones.

Ripped some packs back in July in 95 degree plus temps full on speed runs depleting 1300 mah 100c pack in under a minute and a half with everything coming down cool to the touch. I think the Video stuff was hotter then the FC / esc combo after those flights.

This is only between half and three quarter throttle runs on a short track with hard switch back turns where constant power thru turns is needed. Its even better then this now its fully tuned and rates nearly dialed in.

P.S> keep in mind I dont stress my packs ahrd and come back a lot earlier then if in a real race. Could probably push like that another 30 seconds or more on that size pack.

I’ve heard a lot of great stuff about those too. Maybe they’ll come out with a 20x20 soon. Hated switching when it became standard but once the frames stopped supporting them for racing, I had no choice.