Adding Additional switches (shoulder switches) to FS-i6?

Casey

Question is in the title. I know that you can upgrade the FlySky FS-i6 to have 10-14 channels, but is it possible to add additional physical switches? I have not been able to find any information about this.

Also, if there's a better subforum to ask this question, please let me know and/or move this thread there. Thanks!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hi Casey,
There is a subforum for radio gear so you can PM a mod and have this moved if you like. Usually on higher end radio gear there are pathways pre designed to allow for added switches. I am not sure however on the newer hobby level or budget gear these days. You can easily tell if you open the case and look for small pc boards sitting in the areas where shoulder switches would be or labeled open holes on the main board that specify a numbered switch.

slbovey

Along this line i have considered trying 3 position switches to replace the 2 position ones - if you have resistors on them maybe you could get more functionality (to act like a gimble being half way across instead of just 'middle' and 'full') - i've not tried it as it's my only TX and don't want to take it out of action should i break something.

Casey

I do know from YouTube that you absolutely can replace the 2-position switches with 3-position. I have also seen a mod where someone replaced a potentiometer with a 6-position rotary switch. What I'm really hoping is that we can add all new switches for additional functions. As I plan on using flight controllers in all my aircraft, I want an additional dedicated switch for flight modes. Here's hoping someone's tried this before! In the meantime, I'm going to open up my case and have a look around like PsyBorg suggested.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Hi Casey,
There is a subforum for radio gear so you can PM a mod and have this moved if you like. Usually on higher end radio gear there are pathways pre designed to allow for added switches. I am not sure however on the newer hobby level or budget gear these days. You can easily tell if you open the case and look for small pc boards sitting in the areas where shoulder switches would be or labeled open holes on the main board that specify a numbered switch.
Moved as suggested.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
As far as I understand the radios the switches do not work like say the light switch in your house where you are opening and closing a path way for electricity to flow. They are toggling a latch that then is read in the programming to activate or deactivate a feature. When changing out a switch you can got from a 3 position to a 2 position and just not use one of the latches. You can not however go from a 2 position to a 3 position as the extra latch may not be hard wired in the circuitry. Obviously each radio and brand will be different in the ways they handle these things so the only real way to know is to see a schematic or look for a physical connection within the radio.

I am reasonably sure specially on lesser brands and cheaper radio gear that these optional features have been removed to save the design and manufacturing costs and you wont find new places for switches like in the older JR radios and gear on that level.

Casey

This seems to be as you say. You can upgrade the long 2-pos switch to 3-pos, as there is one wire in the 4-wire plug that just isn't implemented, but there are no additional places to add switches on the board. I'll either be replacing one of the pots, or getting an upgraded transmitter in the future when I really need it.