Advice on flite fest 2018 ohio attendance.

Coersum

I never thought we'd be able to come but as it coincide within a few days of my 40th, we may try to come to flite fest for a couple of days in ohio.

We have a 9 hours drive so thinking of turning it into a road trip. We are trying to figure things out, we have a popup camper but don't want to be pulling it for 9 hours, so could use our big tent or stay at nearby hotel.

(1) What days are best? frid/sat ? sat/sund?

(2) Hotel nearby or tent camping ? Seems like the flite fest night time would be worth roughing it a bit.

Flite Risk

Any or all, I tent camp, have a thick airmsttress <3” the camping area/flight line is a soy/wheat field so it has plough grooves. (Tough to sleep on with a backpackers ground pad.
9 hrs is easy.
You will be there before you know it! Leave at 06:00 parking at THE Furey field by 15:00!
FFE (Ohio(or any)) is so very worth the investment and effort to be a part of it. I would stay on site its a better experience.

Last edited:

Rc probuilderFPV

I've been to Flite Fest East for the pasted 4 years. Im coming this year, I go Tuesday-Sunday. Camping on-site is a much better experience.

lrussi750

Rogue Pilot
Mentor
If you're into camping and have the equipment, staying on site is a great option and a good way to save money. I do not camp so it's hotel for me every year. There are several options within a 15-20 min drive from Furey Field. They do fill up and making a reservation way before is recommended. If you're thinking about the hotel I suggest you make some phone calls now! I also say make try and make it for the whole event if possible. There so much to do and fun to be had that a 2 days is not enough. The event is pretty busy from start to finish, Thursday through Saturday is the busiest. Sunday is the thinnest because people start leaving Sat night and Sun morning and the event teardown starts Sunday afternoon.

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
As far as whats the "best day", having only been to one, i would base it more off of who you want to spend time with more than a specific day. There will be more people saturday and sunday than on the weekdays if you want less people. The times you cant fly are very infrequent and not for long periods of time, so day to day is pretty similar, you can fly basically all day. As far as specific event times/days i dont think you will get that info until you show up, so dont worry about that. Everyday will have some combats and some display flights.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Honestly, if you have ever car camped, FliteFest camping is very far from roughing it. I've car camped at campgrounds where showers are cold and cost 25 cents for every 5 minutes, and illuminated by your flashlight. The tent camping at FliteFest is actually pretty nice by those standards with shower trailers that are air conditioned, lighted, and with plenty of hot water.

The biggest issue for some people with camping at FliteFest is the ... uhm... built in alarm clocks of crack-o-dawn electric RC planes and generators firing up! Oh, and middle of night flight sounds and laughter on occasion!

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
At flitefest west last year it was awesome. Hot showers for free and everybody was in bed by 9. None of those groups that was being super loud and keeping everybody up like at every campground i have every gone to before that lol. Nobody drinking and being crazy.

allenajs

Ugh. Loud, cheap generators that run 24x7x5days non-stop except for gassing up. THEN it's like heaven. The sweet sound of screaming electric planes and folks having fun. Then it starts up again for a few more hours.

I bring a little Honda generator and it is near-silent. Even firing that up once or twice a day to make sure my car battery is changed makes me feel bad. It would kill me to disturb others but it seems some just don't have that gene.

Oh well. Still the most fun thing I look forward to ALL YEAR! Every day of every month boils down to FliteFest Clock watching.
"In 2 months this day I will be building a plane at FF."
"In just exactly ONE month, FFE18 will be over." :(
Then I start over when pulling out late Sunday afternoon.
"Only 360 days and I will be back!"

The countdown could take an interesting turn in my head, though, when they announce FliteFest Edgewater2019!!!

Look me up in the Family Tent again this year (crossing fingers and toes for the assignment) and stop by for some Juggling or Giant Jenga or just to get out of the sun.

Allen from Fredericksburg, Virginia
Proud and founding member of the 7-hour-drive-to-Malvern club!

Honestly, if you have ever car camped, FliteFest camping is very far from roughing it. I've car camped at campgrounds where showers are cold and cost 25 cents for every 5 minutes, and illuminated by your flashlight. The tent camping at FliteFest is actually pretty nice by those standards with shower trailers that are air conditioned, lighted, and with plenty of hot water.

The biggest issue for some people with camping at FliteFest is the ... uhm... built in alarm clocks of crack-o-dawn electric RC planes and generators firing up! Oh, and middle of night flight sounds and laughter on occasion!

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Ugh. Loud, cheap generators that run 24x7x5days non-stop except for gassing up. THEN it's like heaven. The sweet sound of screaming electric planes and folks having fun. Then it starts up again for a few more hours.

I bring a little Honda generator and it is near-silent. Even firing that up once or twice a day to make sure my car battery is changed makes me feel bad. It would kill me to disturb others but it seems some just don't have that gene.

Oh well. Still the most fun thing I look forward to ALL YEAR! Every day of every month boils down to FliteFest Clock watching.
"In 2 months this day I will be building a plane at FF."
"In just exactly ONE month, FFE18 will be over." :(
Then I start over when pulling out late Sunday afternoon.
"Only 360 days and I will be back!"

The countdown could take an interesting turn in my head, though, when they announce FliteFest Edgewater2019!!!

Look me up in the Family Tent again this year (crossing fingers and toes for the assignment) and stop by for some Juggling or Giant Jenga or just to get out of the sun.

Allen from Fredericksburg, Virginia
Proud and founding member of the 7-hour-drive-to-Malvern club!

See, this is EXACTLY why I'd have to stay in a hotel and not camp. SOMEONE would mistake my snoring for a gas engine or generator, and then I'd be asked to leave...LOL

Seriously, I know I'm a loud snorer...I'd just have to sleep in the car or pray that people around me had ear plugs or didn't mind my snoring.

Coersum

Thank you all for the replies, we have tent camped before so it's not a big deal for us. We have a 10x20 tent so it's not really roughing it + inflatable mattress and might even bring the foam pads from the camper (bad back). Flying with others, meeting, talking, watching and specially battles are all the things I'm looking forward to. I'll be bringing my swappables for battles in hope I don't bring them back home (need room for new ones).
b58fe09f-988f-4be4-af14-8c69abd8ea67_1.44d120dedc3093999b15cccf945ecebc.jpeg

What I was worried about is my family being a bit bored after 2 days. My girls (6 and 8) love planes and we'll be building something for them on site for sure but they also have about 1 or 2 battery flight worse of attention span.
My wife however isn't all that into it so thinking of her too (I'll be in heaven). As far as power, I believe they have charging stations right ? and for our things, we have my deep cycle battery so not worried. Do you know if they have the free foam for building there too or should I bring some ?

* The RV camping pass says "premium camp spot", would it be bad to get one of those for our giant tent ?
* The Tent Camping pass says "does not include your pilot/spec pass" but the RV pass does not, guessing the RV pass still doesn't include pilot/spec pass right ?

Coersum

Another question: Is my ParkPilot AMA membership enough to fly at FliteFest?
My club is ok with it but wondering what the requirements are for FliteFest
I am thinking of upgrading this year and would do that now if its needed but it expires at the end of July so if not I'll wait.

And we're registered for the full event with tent site! Now the wait really begins...

Last edited:

DharanFlyer

* The RV camping pass says "premium camp spot", would it be bad to get one of those for our giant tent ?
* The Tent Camping pass says "does not include your pilot/spec pass" but the RV pass does not, guessing the RV pass still doesn't include pilot/spec pass right ?

- The premium is a mistake for Ohio. There is no premium camping spots with hookups. Confirmed through Austin earlier this year. Looks like it was removed from list on FliteFest.com

- Not included. Always have to get camping/RV spot & a pilot pass + spectator passes for non-flying family.

Russtynailz

only 9 hours?? I wish!! Will be 21 hours for me. (Provided I don't stop for food, gas or sleep) 2216 kilometres (1376 miles)
Granted, I am traveling alone, so that will make it easier. (None of the "are we there yet?") 😂. I have booked 10 days off so I can attend the full event.

Attachments

• 8FF2CE55-05D4-402D-8F29-3A01819B940E.png
    8FF2CE55-05D4-402D-8F29-3A01819B940E.png
    3 MB · Views: 0

Bicyclewrench

Another question: Is my ParkPilot AMA membership enough to fly at FliteFest?
My club is ok with it but wondering what the requirements are for FliteFest
I am thinking of upgrading this year and would do that now if its needed but it expires at the end of July so if not I'll wait.

And we're registered for the full event with tent site! Now the wait really begins...
I'm trying to get confirmation on the Parkflyer membership too. I sent them an email. I'll update if I here back.... I'm going for my b-day as well! :)

Coersum

@DharanFlyer Thank you, that's what I thought. I did get all my tickets, pilots, spectators, camping etc.

@RusstyNailz That is quite a ride you have ahead of you. I do expect quite a few "are we there yet" coming from the kids, but we're planning it to make it easier for them doing most of the drive Wed with breaks every couple of hours, sleeping at hotel close to the event and then coming in Thursday morning.

@Bicyclewrench I emailed FT at the email on FF page before i saw your message, thank you anyways. Hopefully we'll get an answer, either way I'm sure we'll know before the event. Maybe we should plan a cake to share haha, oooh..wait... cake airplane!

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
The build tent usually has plenty of boxes of FliteTest foam scattered about. There are vendors who sell electronics for any DIY builds, including the FliteTest store tent, who will also have speed build kits in stock if you're in a hurry ;)

There was one year when Venom had a vendor tent and was offering a charging service, but from what I can tell, that was only in 2016, and I didn't see them there last year. While there is AC power in the build tent area, people have to bring their own chargers generally. Also, I wouldn't leave things like chargers and stuff around unattended, not only for safe charging reasons, but I did sadly hear about cases where people left equipment unattended and returned to find it missing in the build tents. I would suggest the same for soldering irons, etc.