Advice on making RC Aircraft for totally beginner

mojonski

hey guys , i am studying aerospace engineering . We have a project to make our own RC aircraft , all of the materials are given from our teacher, all we need to do is design the structure of the aircraft / the whole body of the aircraft. We have 2 projects , first we gonna be making an aircraft from a foam and then by 3d printing ( materials haven't decided yet for 3d printing). we will be given 3 servos, a motor and propeller and landing gear , the motor only capable of lifting aircraft with the weight of 100 grams on average ( based on last semester's data). So actually the teacher been using the same motor for all the previous classes, which means that we have to design an aircraft that weight less than 100 grams. The teacher told us if we make an unconventional aircraft ( delta wing , swept back,etc), we will have more marks. so my question is , what should be my first step ? deciding which airfoil i will use? ( we can copy the airfoil's coordinate from internet and put it into the catia or other software). I need advice really bad thanks .

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Welcome to the FT Community mojonski! Heh, you're going to hate me for not going into specifics, but I personally feel that the best way to learn is with light/general guidance, and self discovery.

So, my advice: Keep it simple, while adhering to the exact requirements stated for your project. If you have to use all the components, go for it. If you can reduce, by all means, do so particularly to keep within your weight requirements.

Build light, and build often. That means experiment with different airframes / airfoils / etc. Start with inexpensive and easily obtainable test supplies. Use free flight models made out of paper or card stock. Try to test in a controlled environment. Setup a mechanical, repeatable launch system to test the efficiency of your builds. Rubber bands or tubing make great launch systems!

Last edited: