Airship

Spacefarer

update: I've been working on the fast arrow and the archangel, but all the while I've been coming up with a plan for this thing. The part shown in the video is nowhere near the finished product even for the non-balloon part, and I have yet to test the best part about it. My plan is to give this thing two balloons with a hangar in the middle... and the hangar can hold tiny whoops! The balloons will be wrapped in a layer of foamboard to protect them of course, and the hangar doors will be positioned away from any motors. This way, anyone can feel free to land inside the airship during the next flite fest south! I think I will add a motor swivel system or even a separate vertical motor so I can counteract the weight of multiple tiny whoops with an insignificant force. (the airship will probably be running a 3s-4s 4000 mAh, so a couple whoops are nothing) I could also anchor it to the ground so that when there is no battery people can still have fun landing in it. I will definitely be adding a bigger motor or set of motors, probably high kv to save weight, and I will keep future updates here more frequently now that I thought of something cool to do with it.

Spacefarer

Here's what I have decided on for the hangar.
IMG_0916[1].JPG
90 inches in length.
Here's the size comparison of the original airship...
IMG_0919[1].JPG
Don't worry though, I will add more space for the motors and possibly more batteries. The hangar has those slanted edges so that whoop pilots can deal with the low end of their throttle. Since it's kind of touchy, they can position themselves above the open spot and drop onto it and just slide into the airship on low thrust. The leftovers from cutting the main panels will be used to shield the balloons, and the leftovers from cutting those corners will form a gremlin landing pad on top. I think I will end up putting a fin near the back, which will also hold the forward thrust motor. I will most likely also have two motors for ascent and descent instead of one, since that gives me the ability to carry more whoops and gremlins. (plus it's just fun to see an aerobatic airship) In the event of signal loss, this thing will drift to the ground as it is going to be just slightly heavier than air by default. I don't think I can include an adjustable bladder unless someone else shows me how.

Spacefarer

And now the hangar is glued up in each section. I'm not even going to give the weight, because it will probably change at this point. Don't worry though, it's still really light. I will only need balloons slightly larger in diameter than the hangar on each side, and even then they will just be filled with cells of helium, not 100%.
IMG_0927[1].JPG