All New SkyFX Kits

Taildragger

Legendary member
Thank you sir!

I really don't know. I'll let John answer that.

Why yes, I really did just mirror the vertical stabilizers skin. :D No use re-drawing all those panel lines and rivets! :sneaky: I was wondering if anyone would even catch the reversed "J" in those pics. :unsure: The pics above were of early test prototypes (such as the one with the tape measure showing how far off a graphic was). The "J" was caught and should have been fixed on the production versions. :giggle: Have to hand it to John. Not only does he have to build several prototypes to perfect each skin, he then has to build them for product shots for the different liveries. That's a lot of building! :oops:
I wonder if this Stephen ever thought he would be working at flitetest now:

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
I wonder if this Stephen ever thought he would be working at flitetest now:

Only in his wildest dreams!
To clarify my role, I work for John. My job however is 1) the Flite Test SkyFX line of aircraft, and 2) support the Flite Test crew in any way needed. This is usually in the area of graphic support not only for the aircraft themselves but also marketing material, web graphics, apparel and occasionally writing copy. So if I open my mouth here, it's usually about the SkyFX line or (occasional) graphics. I leave the rest to the folks who know better. ;)

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
Thank you sir!

You reverse the image, then select the J & A & reverse them AGAIN.

EDIT: Didn't really need to reverse the A so I left it.

Attachments

• Texan Rudder.jpg
    Texan Rudder.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 0

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
On the left side of the stab/rudder, the J should be to the lower left of the crossbones.
On the right side it should be upper left of the crossbones.
And, on both sides, the letters should lean toward the rear.

Rasterize

Mentor
On the left side of the stab/rudder, the J should be to the lower left of the crossbones.
On the right side it should be upper left of the crossbones.
And, on both sides, the letters should lean toward the rear.

Dang! Nice catch Addicted! Thanks! I double-checked my source when I did it (another model) and it was wrong as well! Ended up replicating someones else mistake. :cautious: Found pics of the actually T-28 Jolly Rodger that showed both sides (I've only seen the right side of the real one) and you were correct. On the left side the A is high and on the right side the J is high. Both leaning back. Fixed on any further production. (y)

Crow929

That's funny, I never knew that was a real plane. What is the story there, just a private individual that liked that squadron's paint scheme and decided to inaccurately paint it on his plane?
The VF-84 F-14 had the letters reading from left to right AJ. So on the left vert, the A was low and the J high. I understand you're modeling a real plane, so I guess it should be wrong as well.

Rasterize

Mentor
That's funny, I never knew that was a real plane. What is the story there, just a private individual that liked that squadron's paint scheme and decided to inaccurately paint it on his plane?
The VF-84 F-14 had the letters reading from left to right AJ. So on the left vert, the A was low and the J high. I understand you're modeling a real plane, so I guess it should be wrong as well.

Funny and fascinating. According to the Plane Spotters website, N746SH it's a private T-28 Trojan. No idea if this livery would have occured on a T-28 in the Navy at all. Since they are a combat squadron and not a training unit I would assume not. Anyone know for sure? My goal when modeling actual flying aircraft would be to be as accurate as possible, within reason. I try to do rivets and panels lines “close to scale". The flying foam versions are, in and of themselves, not exactly to scale for a variety of legitimate reasons, and I have to represent all variants (A, B, C, D etc.) inservice with one plane. I'd at least like the insignia to be as close as possible. You can never have enough research! If you guys see anything obvious let me know!

1638454616021.png

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Funny and fascinating. According to the Plane Spotters website, N746SH it's a private T-28 Trojan. No idea if this livery would have occured on a T-28 in the Navy at all. Since they are a combat squadron and not a training unit I would assume not. Anyone know for sure? My goal when modeling actual flying aircraft would be to be as accurate as possible, within reason. I try to do rivets and panels lines “close to scale". The flying foam versions are, in and of themselves, not exactly to scale for a variety of legitimate reasons, and I have to represent all variants (A, B, C, D etc.) inservice with one plane. I'd at least like the insignia to be as close as possible. You can never have enough research! If you guys see anything obvious let me know!

View attachment 212885
Interesting.
So, based on that info, it may actually be A-bones-J on each side? The only ones I've ever seen were J-bones-A. Well, check your CRAP, Addicted!

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
So the actual T-28 with the Jolly Rogers scheme is only privately owned and was never actually painted this way in the military? If so, then J/A would be accurate?

Rasterize

Mentor
So the actual T-28 with the Jolly Rogers scheme is only privately owned and was never actually painted this way in the military? If so, then J/A would be accurate?

Yeah, I think so. I can't find any info that says a combat squadron would even have a T28 assigned to it. This does not mean that it does not exist somewhere. The only pics I can find are of the privately owned T28 with the "incorrect" tail. Until someone comes forward with new evidence, I'm inclined to leave it as is. To quote another pirate-themed thing - "Perhaps on the rare occasion pursuing the right course demands an act of piracy? Piracy itself can be the right course?"

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Yeah, I think so. I can't find any info that says a combat squadron would even have a T28 assigned to it. This does not mean that it does not exist somewhere. The only pics I can find are of the privately owned T28 with the "incorrect" tail. Until someone comes forward with new evidence, I'm inclined to leave it as is. To quote another pirate-themed thing - "Perhaps on the rare occasion pursuing the right course demands an act of piracy? Piracy itself can be the right course?"
POTC! (y)