Alternative to hot glue in a hot climate?

cgetman02

I'm mentoring some guys getting into flying and want them to be successful as much as possible. I'm going to suggest the 3 pack of swappables as a good introductory level for getting your sticks under control.

I'm in Savannah, GA and it gets hotter than the hinges of hell in the summer. I'm thinking that the hot glue might not be the best choice for an adhesive. Softening in the heat.

I've used FoamTac glue for some of my builds and it works well. Foam safe CA should work. Welders? Gorilla glue maybe also. Any other suggestions?

I like the quick bonding aspect of the hotmelt and the foam safe CA. The other adhesives would require considerable hold time before the bond is secure.

Thanks for any ideas, Curt

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
A lot of rubber cemements are *not* foam safe, but some are . . . and not all foams are as tollerant. test on scraps before you build anyhting dramatic and risk watchign it melt before your eyes . . .

One strategy I've had success with is tack-welding with gorilla glue. Just before I lay down a bead of hot glue on specific joints, I place a got of gorilla glue at strategic points, then hot glue around it. the HG sets near instantly, and the GG sets 30 min later with the HG holding it in place.

The goal is, on a hot day sitting in the back seat of a parked car, the HG will melt, but the GG, will hold it together long enough that when I pull it out of the heat and the HG re-sets right where it was, and the airframe doesn't self-mod.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I'm a big fan of the WHITE Gorilla glue. It cures white, instead of brown, which is really nice if you're like me and tend to smear your glue all over the plane.

It's not as fast as hot glue, but it cures pretty quickly, and it will activate faster if moisture is involved. I will sometimes wet one side of the area being glued and apply the glue to the other side.

Wear gloves. This stuff gets all over you. I am always thinking "this time I'll keep glue free" and then I spend two days trying to pick the dried glue from my hands.