Am I missing something? Costs of electronics...

Jtnb

Am I missing something? Lots of threads talk about build costs and the $40, give or take, of electronics on board (typically in the case of losing the plane). If I buy a power pack at Altitude or Lazer, the pack itself is 60-70 dollars and doesn't include battery or receiver. That seems like at least $100 in electronics per plane.

Am I missing something or is that what the electronics suite costs?

For context, I'm building a Simple Soarer from plans and plan to build a racer as well. I have a Spektrum Dx5e that came with an Apprentice. Had to purchase the receiver at my LHS ($30 for a 4-channel) and now need battery, props, motor, servos, etc.

Is there a way to outfit a SS with $40 in electronics?

Do I need a separate receiver for each plane or does it make sense to swap it out from plane to plane?

And lastly, I assume that the "swappable" nature of the Simple Soarer and the Racer does not extend to battery, as one is a motor glider and the other is a fast racer.

thoughts on any and all of this appreciated.

Jonathan

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
A lot of people buy the inexpensive HobbyKing OrangeRX (for Spektrum) or Lemon-RX receivers from various US resellers and the manufacturer in China. For example, I bought a 5 pack of 6 channel Lemon-RX receivers for a little over $30 in the Winter.

Batteries from HK are cheap, but I haven't bought mine from them, but have friends who do. I tend to buy my batteries from ReadyMadeRC and Lazertoyz because they are good quality ones, but more expensive. A 2200 3S is about $30 from them.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Hey Jon,
Welcome to the forum!

The power packs are often significantly more expensive from altitude or Lazertoys compared to putting them together on your own by shopping around.

For instance, from the hobbyking US warehouse:
AX 2308n 1100kv motor $6.88
HK 10 amp ESC $7.09
2 HK white servos $4.60
HK GT-2 ground receiver(works great for 3 channel airplanes)$6.58
Zippy 25c 3s 1000mah battery $5.73
10 pack bullet connectors $1.68
5 pack XT-60 ESC connectors $2.25
4 8045 SF props $2.60
1 meter of black heat shrink $1.08
10 pack control horns $ 1.16
Grand total for every non foam thing on the plane except control rods and fire wall: $39.65 before shipping.

I really hope this helps, I'm a cheap guy, so I have lists like this for any plane I happen to be thinking about building! :black_eyed:

Oh, when you build your soarer, I'd love to see pics!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
If you buy the bundle pack it's not as cheap as parts individually at hobby king. You can get a 2200 3s for 9.99 there, also.

Jtnb

This is exactly the answer I was looking for, Foam Addict! Is this the list for the Simple Soarer? If so, I'll order this stuff today from HK. Very helpful!

And I'll definitely post pics. Very much looking forward to flying this plane.

Also, what do you recommend for firewall and control rods?

Hey Jon,
Welcome to the forum!

The power packs are often significantly more expensive from altitude or Lazertoys compared to putting them together on your own by shopping around.

HK 10 amp ESC $7.09
2 HK white servos $4.60
4 8045 SF props $2.60
Grand total for every thing on the plane except control rods and fire wall: $39.65 before shipping.

I really hope this helps, I'm a cheap guy, so I have lists like this for any plane I happen to be thinking about building! :black_eyed:

Last edited:

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
Where do you live?

If in the US, try www.headsuphobby.com and since you already have the RX, They can get you close to that $40 mark. $46.15 after shipping anyways.

(PS based on the Flite test recommencations page for the SS)

Blue wonder - http://www.headsuphobby.com/HURC-300-Blue-Wonder-1300kv-Brushless-Motor-G-272.htm

18 amp ESC - http://www.headsuphobby.com/HURC-18-Amp-Brushless-Motor-ESC-B-145.htm

500mah 3c lipo - http://www.headsuphobby.com/111v-500mah-30C-DBY-Power-Lipo-Battery-A-209.htm

Two 9gr Servos - http://www.headsuphobby.com/Towerpro-9g-SG90-Sub-Micro-Servo-B-510.htm

Propeller - http://www.headsuphobby.com/APC-9-x-47SF-Composite-Propeller-A-615.htm

Next time consider some Lemon RX (www.lemonrx.com) if you're just doing foamies and park flyers. $30 would have gotten you 5 of them, and I have yet to have an issue with the dozen I have in use. They come on the slow boat, so it will be a couple weeks until they are in, but totally worth it.

Edit: Best part about Heads up RC is the fact that it isn't HobbyKing. Parts are there in 2 days everytime and their customer service is top notch. Neither of those two things are generally associated with Hobby King.

Last edited:

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
This is exactly the answer I was looking for, Foam Addict! Is this the list for the Simple Soarer? If so, I'll order this stuff today from HK. Very helpful!

And I'll definitely post pics. Very much looking forward to flying this plane.

Also, what do you recommend for firewall and control rods?

Yes, it is, though I'd highly recommend lengthening the nose by around 3" directly in front of the wing, otherwise it doesn't balance well.
I'd recommend 1/16 or 3/16 5 ply plywood from the hobby shop, or if you are really cheap a 10 mm stick mounts that motor nicely.
As to control wire piano wire works great and can be found at most every hobby shop. It looks like stiff dark gray wire.

Is there anything else you need?

Jtnb

I'm very excited to have found this forum and thanks to all who are replying so helpfully!

The only other question I have is whether the LemonRX receivers will work with my Spektrum radio.

Jonathan

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
I'm very excited to have found this forum and thanks to all who are replying so helpfully!

The only other question I have is whether the LemonRX receivers will work with my Spektrum radio.

Jonathan

Yes they will, and quite well to, a good friend has used them on his quad for a month now, and they work great!

jweather

The power packs are convenient, and some of them come with pre-soldered connectors on the ESC which will save you some time and money, but you can always get a better deal buying components individually. I ordered from HK since I couldn't find any other shops that had everything I needed to get started. I'll look more closely at HURC though since international shipping is painful to wait for.

Jtnb

I like the ones from this website called 'flitetest.com'.

They may be a little pricey, but it's better than a donate button.

Good point and point taken. Only problem is that the wires offered are something like 16" and the simple soarer wants 22" wires. Otherwise good idea to purchase from Flitetest.

The wires are frequently referred to as "piano wire." Does anyone have any experience with using piano strings, like actual piano strings that I'd get from... wherever the heck piano strings are sold?

Tactical Ex

Good point and point taken. Only problem is that the wires offered are something like 16" and the simple soarer wants 22" wires. Otherwise good idea to purchase from Flitetest.

The wires are frequently referred to as "piano wire." Does anyone have any experience with using piano strings, like actual piano strings that I'd get from... wherever the heck piano strings are sold?

I don't have any experience in USING them but I did some price comparison a long time back and found that my local hobby shop sold them for a significant amount less than the music store. The music stores around here always have incredibly jacked up prices though.

Stradawhovious

"That guy"

Piano "strings" are not user servicable, and usually sold in bulk to piano technicians on coils. Makes it tough to use as a straight wire.

Your best bet is to hit up a hobby store for straight, stiff 36" "piano wire".

jweather

I found a display of piano wire at my local Ace Hardware. I've also heard some people have luck using welding rod in certain sizes.

Jtnb

And now. trouble with mating electronics!

Hey Jon,
Welcome to the forum!

HK 10 amp ESC $7.09
2 HK white servos $4.60
4 8045 SF props $2.60
Grand total for every non foam thing on the plane except control rods and fire wall: $39.65 before shipping.

Below are some pics of my ESC and my Rx. One doesn't fit the other. Thoughts? Bought the receiver from my LHS at relatively great expense. Doesn't seem to accept the slightly larger plug on the ESC. Both are three-pin.

And the battery plug is tiny! I don't have an appropriate plug for it. Should I crop it and solder on another larger one? It's a small battery. Complete parts list so far here:

Spektrum Rx as shown
The following from a HK order:

ZIPPY Flightmax 1000mAh 3S1P 25C (US Warehouse) 1 US$6.22 IN STOCK
Turnigy AE-30A Brushless ESC (US Warehouse) 1 US$12.63 IN STOCK
AX 2308N 1100kv brushless Micro Motor (US Warehouse) 1 US$6.88 IN STOCK
Slow Fly Electric Prop 8045SF (4 pc) (US Warehouse) 1 US$2.60 IN STOCK
Control Horns 13.5x16mm (10pcs) (USA Warehouse) 1 US$1.16 IN STOCK
Turnigy TG9e 9g / 1.5kg / 0.10sec Eco Micro Servo (US Warehouse) 6 US$2.59 IN STOCK
Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 6A Balancer/Charger w/ Accessories (US Warehouse)

2014-06-04 07.06.47.jpg 2014-06-04 07.07.14.jpg

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
Thoughts? Bought the receiver from my LHS at relatively great expense. Doesn't seem to accept the slightly larger plug on the ESC. Both are three-pin.

There are 3 options.

The easy way:
- shave down the plug from the esc
- trim a section of the RX plastic shell

The right way:
- Install a new correct sized plug on the end of the esc.

If it were me I'd lightly and carefully remove a tiny little bit of plastic from each side of the ESC plug with some very fine sandpaper, or scrape it down a little with a hobby knife.

YMMV.

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Just to double check (dosent' look like it but hard to see) -- is there a tab running the lenght of the connector on the white wire side? If so, it's a Futaba style plug, and won't fit in a JR/Spektrum style socket without trimming off the tab.

Plugs in these cases can also be *VERY* tight fits, but I almost never have issues with it . . . becasue I usually replace the plastic cases with 3/4" shrink tubing to reduce the weight and bulk. trimming or sanding the plug is always an option, and as long as you're careful with it and dont' cut through to the metal connector, it won't harm anything.

As for the small battery connector, that's a JST connector -- very common on that size battery and smaller. battery manufacturers tend to attach battery connectors approperate to the power capabilities of the pack, and that pack is right at the top end of what a JST will typically handle. You've got three options:

- replace the JST on the battery with the plug you want (Deans, XT-60, EC3), but be sure to replace the plug ONE LEAD AT A TIME -- you don't want to short the battery out whiel soldering on a new plug.

- replace the ESC's battery plug with a JST -- not a bad option, so long as the 3S1000 pack is as big as you ever plan to go, but if you ever want to go bigger . . . (with a 30A ESC, you'll want to go bigger)

- buy/build an adapter. These can be REALLY handy to have in the flight box, but long term can be a pain. I've got an ESC that came pre-soldered Deans, and I use XT-60's. The adaptor has been living on that plane for about a month now, and I've genuinely grown sick of it . . . almost sick enough to do somethign about it . . .

BTW, you may know this already but . . . DO NOT plug the battery directly into the 5th port on the RX. Lipos are good at releasing RX smoke without an ESC or BEC inline to make everyone happy.

Last edited: