AMA License

ScottyWarpNine

Mostly Harmless
Is it required? If I register for one now will there be enough time for me to get the card, or pass, or whatever it is?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Scotty,

From what I've been hearing on the podcasts and announcement videos, an AMA membership is required for insurance of registered pilots (or some equivilent -- not sure which other "national' model clubs will be recognized). Spectators won't require the club insurance, but they can't fly.

More than likely, the card will come in the mail in time for FTFF, but they can check your status online in the off chance it doesn't.

Flynn

Scotty, its roughly 40 dollars or 50, whichever package you want. I did mine and I think it took a couple weeks to get my card. FliteFest being 2 months away? you should have plenty of time. I think its a good thing and a good deal, and I still fly at the local soccer field.

ScottyWarpNine

Mostly Harmless
Thanks for the information! I registered as a pilot through the kickstarter campaign, so I guess I need to register for a license! Glad I asked

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I had actually joined/signed up for an AMA membership when I first heard about FTFF over the Winter, but just recently discovered that my FCC ID/license isn't a full amateur radio (HAM) license and I'm only authorized on the GMRS (462-467MHz) range, but my FPV VTX is 5.8GHz... so, in a hasty move, I just scheduled my HAM Technicians exam for the week before FTFF -- oops... I've already had three days of flying with my FPV kit illegally. Hopefully, I'll get the license in time. I will have to get a new callsign as the GMRS call signs are different.

bitogre

I bet you do not actually need to have your AMA card. I suspect all that will be require is that you be in the AMA system so that Flite Test can go to the AMA Verification Website to make sure you are a current member.

The field I fly at has this requirement. It took me 3 weeks to get my card but by contacting the AMA, I was able to get my AMA Number and in the system so the field could verify my membership status within 3 days (this was Jan 1, when they are the busiest with renewals). So, I was able to fly at the field 3 days after joining the AMA.

tyoho

How about the AMA's park flyer licence?
It's a long shot that I'll be able to make FTFF, but do you need a full AMA licence or will the park flyer suffice?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Not sure. If you're flying somehting outside of the weight limit for park flyer (not hard to do), then you'll definitely need full. If not . . . It depends on the event and they haven't said. My understanding, for most big events events it would be a hesitiant "No", but again, I'm not sure about FTFF.

Keep in mind, this is your insurance in case something goes wrong. If it does, and you've got the full membership, you're coverd up to $2Mil. If you've got Parkflyer and you've been flying something too big, the liability is now fully on your sholders.

tyoho

Thanks CD.
I try to keep my planes under the 2lb limit, at least they start out that way, but after a few flights they tend to get heavier.
Although, just checked my FT Spitfire and it is still under 28 oz and that's with couple of extra sticks of hot glue and a 2200ma 3 cell strapped on.
If by some chance I do mike it to FTFF, I'll spring for the full membership first.
I probably should just do it anyway, I'm planning on going to NEAT again (went but didn't fly last year), and as cranky as that lot is I'm sure "park pilot" ain't cutting it

Flying Cirkus

I am coming over to FTFF from europe, gonna be interesting to see if im grounded as an spectator or if i can get a model up in the air.. =)

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I originally wasn't going to get an AMA license. But I looked into it and I agreed with everything the AMA says. I went with the Park Pilot Program because it sounds like what I currently fly and I'm not really interested in going beyond it. I don't want to fly over 60mph and I may push the limits with the 2lbs, but oh well. I mostly stay under 2lbs and I'm fine with only bringing the lighter planes to events, if I actually go to any. I just signed up just incase I go to anything this year. I plan on going to events next year.

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
I started flying with a Park Pilot AMA membership. It allows you to fly at any AMA event (NEAT Nall, SEFF whatever) in so long as you are under 2lbs and 60mph. I loved flying and I quickly gained interest in planes over 2 pound so now I'm in a full membership.
I'd go to the membership verification page on the AMA website and print that out if you don't think your card will arrive.
It will show your name, , Membership type, AMA number and expiration date. Most "reasonable" folks should be cool with that. :)

Liemavick

Mentor
I attended SEFF this year and just had the print out of my receipt from AMA, no problems at registration. :)

bitogre

For those not having a AMA licence, there should be a possibility to get a "event pass"

That would be nice but is it an option that the AMA provides? If not, their hands are tied as they have to follow AMA rules for events to be covered by AMA insurance. Unless you have a less expensive source for appropriate liability insurance.

whiskeyjack

I just finished reading the 16 posts here; am I missing something? AMA membership is a license to fly?
I am a member of MAAC (Model Aeronautics Association of Canada) but that doesn't let me fly at a MAAC sanctioned field solo unless I am a graduate of the MAAC "Wings" program.
Without actually going to the AMA site and searching for the answer, you boys and girls might want to look into what qualifications you need in order to fly at a AMA sanctioned event / field.
I really did not want to throw this wet blanket but I think it is better you guys check it out and avoid any ugly little surprises when you get to the field, sorry. WJ.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
No, people are referring specifically to the FliteTest Flight Fest AMA requirement in order to fly. FTFF has that requirement for insurance purpose only as AMA members are covered by the AMA Umbrella policy.

whiskeyjack

Makattack, if AMA insurance is anything like ours and I am pretty sure it is, you are covered while flying with an instructor, on a "Buddy Box" or similar system. After you qualify, your insurance to fly at AMA fields solo kicks in. Before that, you really are on your own if you fly without following AMA's program!
I know that the organizers of this event want it to be the best experience that it can be. All I am attempting to do is alert folks that they may not be "covered" like they think they are. WJ.

RoyBro

Mentor
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that once you've signed up with the AMA, you're covered for which every program you've chosen; full or park pilot. There is no requirement for certification or "Wings" as there is in other countries.

Our local club/field requires a full AMA membership to become a member and fly at their field, mostly for the insurance.